Vaccinations in Australia?

Hi,

We arrived in Australia about a month ago. I took my two children to a doctor to convert their South African immunisation schedule to Australian requirements. I am going back this week to get the catch up vaccines. The ones they need seem to be the meningitis vaccine, and an additional whooping cough combination for my oldest.

A few questions:

- Where is the best place to get vaccines done? Is a GP usually used, or are there such things as local clinics?

- What do vaccines cost if you have medicare?

- I read a few topics on the forum, and it seems kids are often given vaccines at school: if so, do you need to even get the catch ups done? How often do nurses visit schools?

- I also read something about getting a $245 payment because the vaccines are up to date - is this true and how is this claimed?

Thanks. :)

- Where is the best place to get vaccines done? Is a GP usually used, or are there such things as local clinics?

There are both. Pick whichever is convenient.

- What do vaccines cost if you have medicare?

Nothing - all free

- I read a few topics on the forum, and it seems kids are often given vaccines at school: if so, do you need to even get the catch ups done? How often do nurses visit schools?

Pass

- I also read something about getting a $245 payment because the vaccines are up to date - is this true and how is this claimed?

The bonus you get is for getting all the vaccines in the first two years. Its called the immunization bonus.

See http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...rnity_allow.htm for details.

Looking at that link, the rules seemed to have changed.