Veggie Bake.......

EricaC

I am looking for a veggie bake recipe - not your normal, average boring one.....does anyone have a unusual, tasty veggie bake recipe to share

Way to cold for salads at BBQ's - so time to start making warm, bakes!! Hah - but we will still stand outside by the barbie....in 5 deg.... :ilikeit:

Erica

Weeeellll, I cut big chunks of all kinds of bake-able veggies, throw them in an oven pan, dribble herbal salt and oil over, cover and bake for and hour @ 180 °C, taking the cover off after 50 mins to roast a bit. You can dribble olive oil before serving. I just looooove this together with a yummy, marinated steak, beet and maybe potato wedges. Easy and quick.

Don't know if this falls into your category of boring, though ... :ilikeit:

Weeeellll, I cut big chunks of all kinds of bake-able veggies, throw them in an oven pan, dribble herbal salt and oil over, cover and bake for and hour @ 180 °C, taking the cover off after 50 mins to roast a bit. You can dribble olive oil before serving. I just looooove this together with a yummy, marinated steak, beet and maybe potato wedges. Easy and quick.

Don't know if this falls into your category of boring, though ... :ilikeit:

Thanks Alida.....I never take off cover to roast, will give it a try.....I know that some leave the skins on butternut etc.....?? You are so right - it is such a easy dish to make - but just leave it in for too long.....ah, veggies pap or too soon too hard....mushrooms????(anyone try?) With marinated steak - now you talking!!

Erica

ooooohhhh, if you love mushrooms, try frying it with a little oil or butter in a pan together with chunks of pineapple. You'll be addicted in a jiffy. I've fried it together with yellow, green and red peppers, too - and my favourite, baby marrows.

ooooohhhh, if you love mushrooms, try frying it with a little oil or butter in a pan together with chunks of pineapple. You'll be addicted in a jiffy. I've fried it together with yellow, green and red peppers, too - and my favourite, baby marrows.

Sounds so good Alida - mushy's and pineapple.....who would have thought - will give it a bash!!

Erica

Don't know if this falls into your category of boring, though ... ;)

LOVE my veggies this way! :( Easy peasy & double yummy!

Another easy option is butternut halves (skin & all - remove the pips) brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with brown sugar - LOTS if you like :D . Pop it in the oven like above. YUM!

Or you could buy the frozen mixed chunky veggies, pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes or so and stir through a home-made whitesauce. Sprinkle grated cheese over & enjoy! (You could then put it under the grill for the cheese to melt, or you could have it just like that).

Enjoy!

My sister-in-law makes this amazing veggie bake. Cut up any veggies you like, I like to add whole shallots and diced mushrooms together with anything else I can find, pumpkin, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, (just cut them up roughly - not too small pieces). Place them in a shallow oven dish (use some spray & cook to line the dish and prevent veggies from sticking to the oven dish). Sprinkle some veggie bake spices over the veggies (I use the good old Robertson's spices - the dish would do fine without the spice as well if you can't find anything similar). Mix a packet of white onion soup powder with 375ml of cream and about 250ml of milk. Pour sauce over the veggies, cover and bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for about an hour until veggies are cooked. Check on your sauce after about 1/2 hour, if the sauce is too thick add extra milk (half a cup at a time) - no need to stir it through - just pour over the dish - it will trickle through and cook with the rest of the sauce.

Bon appetit!

Ooh, and this one....

Take those small round orange pumkins - don't know what they're called, but they're at any good veggie shop - they're about 3 times the size of a gem squash. Cut the tops off and take the pips out. Bake as above, then add a mix of basmati & wild rice to the hollow. Sprinkle cheese over and put under the grill - or bake a further 10 - 15 minutes. Oijoijoi!...... :(

I'm now so hungry from reading all these good recipes! That last veggie bake sounds SO good!! (And I'm definitely adding pineaple to future veggie dishes!)

Ah ha - now we talking - thanks guys for all the tips......you see - some 'inventive' people out there...... :(

Erica

The skins on butternut and pumpkin are the best !!! when you bake the veggies in the oven in olive oil leave it on just make sure its crispy though !

• 2 weeks later...
The skins on butternut and pumpkin are the best !!! when you bake the veggies in the oven in olive oil leave it on just make sure its crispy though !

Well...I just have too add - made a most stunning veggie bake, using tips from the above lovely ladies and yes MANDYL...kept skins on - another tip from a friend of mine is to caramelize the onions - add them in at the end (toss over veggies) and add spices and big chunks of feta cheese and back!!!! OMG.... <_<:whome: tooooo yummmy for words!! Veggies, so all good and healthy....only thing now I must stop eating is our new founded Sara Lee....Sticky Date pudding..... :ilikeit: This winter is just so :o :o not on for eating...so now I have the 'Veggie Bake' taken care of!!

Erica

To save some time I par cook for 10-12 min in the microwave, and bake in oven tray for 20-30 min (uncovered) They are always a winner.

To save some time I par cook for 10-12 min in the microwave, and bake in oven tray for 20-30 min (uncovered) They are always a winner.

Yes - Dereko, if pressed for time - a great option......either way....too die for!! Also wanted to add - did not think feta cheese and baked veg would go together..well you just have to try - if not already!!!

Erica

Oh my, I'm hungry now .... <_<

Archived