Help with rice please!!!

blouw22

We are in NSW and have been here for 4 months now.

I am still buying Tastic from the SA shop but heck it is too expensive.

Most of the rices we have tried (Uncle Bens', etc) are too mushy and almost like Jasmine rice

even though they say long grain. Has anyone found one close to tastic?

Many thanks

Bridget

Most of the rices we have tried (Uncle Bens', etc) are too mushy and almost like Jasmine rice

Many thanks

Bridget

Why not try the basmatic rice. I find it nicer than the tastic and I am not indian.

Andrea

Sun makes a long grain rice which is very nice. (They make a few different ones, so check the packet - if I remember correctly it is the red & yellow packet).

We used to get Tastic and Mrs Balls at our local Coles & Woollies, but for months now, we don't anymore. Don't know what the reason is...

Many thanks

Bridget

Hi Bridget

Try this link Riviana foods

and click on the contact form to find out where you could buy tastic rice, these are bulkfood suppliers so you would have to buy maybe a 10kg bag, but it would work out a lot cheaper and you could maybe split the cost with a friend.

Riviana used to supply Coles with Tastic rice but Coles then deleted it.

Another thing I found, is just cooking it the same as I would Tastic, BIG MISTAKE. When I eventually followed the instructions on the back of "Uncle Bens" it came out just as fluffy as Tastic, but you use less water. For Tastic I used to use 3 cups of water to a cup of rice, for Uncle Bens it is 2-1/4 cups water to a cup of rice.

Apparantly Basmati is a very healthy rice, who would have guessed?

The secret is in the cooking. If you don't have a rice cooker, like me, use this method.

Put the required amount of rice in the pot, rinse well, add water that covers the amount and a little for luck.

Add salt to taste. Put on the stove untill the water is boiling rappidly and then turn the stove off. Leave covered untill all the water is gone.

Tada, lovely fluffy Basmati.

Hi

Tastic rice is what is known as Par Boiled rice, similar rices are Uncle Bens and Sun

Rice, There are various ways or techniques that are used and this varies from country to country but par boiling has been around for over ter for several hours and then steamed for 2000 years.

Par boiling does result in the grains having a yellowish look which disapears when the rice is cooked and par boiled rice takes longer to cook as par boiling hardens the grains. In some countries such as USA par boiled rice is sometimes reffered to as "Conveted Rice"

Typically par boilling involves 2 stages the first is where the rice is thrashed from the stalk but still in the husk this is then soaked in water for several hours and then steamed for typically 10 minutes after which it is dried and then milled in the usual way. Parboiled rice makes it less brittle so in the milling process it doesnt break thats why the grains look so perfect.

Basmati and Jasmine are not par boiled and require more attention when cooking but if cooked properly they are delicious. by far the easiest way to cook them is in a rice cooker. they also prefer less water and once the water has boiled it is best to turn stove right down to almostr zero or if you only have low heat possibly even turn off the heat and leave covered.

You will also notice that you get short medium and long grained rice, as a rule of thumb long and medium grained rice is used for savoury and main course dishes and short grain for puddings (They tend to be more sticky) saying that they are also used for Sushi and Risotto or Paella.

Rice is a most dynamic and exciting food its worth getting a book that gives you loads of ideas and recipies.

Happy Cooking

Hi Bridget

I also battled with the rice, kept going back to the South African shop for Tastic, and then I found Sun Rice - par boiled - in the red and yellow packet. It cooks perfectly every time ;) just like Tastic - it's got the same colour, texture, everything. I get it at IGA, Woolworths and sometimes Coles.

Mary

I have to admit :) I buy the 2 minute Uncle Ben's rice. I don't mind spending ages making stews and curries and whatever else but MAN I hate making rice for some reason?? I don't know why. Perhaps a rice cooker would be a good investment for me...

I going to be the rice nerd here. I hardly eat rice, the odd bit of brown rice, but was told by the midwife last year, when I was pregnant, to avoid Jasmine Rice like the plague. Apparently Jasmine Rice has a exceptionally high GI level and should be eaten in moderation. It should also be AVOIDED by pregnant mothers and especially any diabetics. And there I was thinking rice is rice is rice!

http://kathrynelliott.com.au/blog/2007/06/...-such-a-huge-gi

Tastic rice is what is known as Par Boiled rice.....

Typically par boilling involves 2 stages.....

A man who knows how to cook rice! :):ilikeit::ilikeit:

Five years in and I still buy Tastic :sad: Whenever I try the local stuff, it turns to much and smells bloody awful! I'll give the parboiled Sun Rice a crack (not sure if I've tried that one yet). I love Basmati but only with curries and I use Jasmine when I'm doing anything Asian.....although I must confess to being addicted tot he Tiida 2 minute rices for those - they come in yummy flavours!

Happy shopping and Happier cooking :)

Hi

Tastic rice is what is known as Par Boiled rice, similar rices are Uncle Bens and Sun

Rice, There are various ways or techniques that are used and this varies from country to country but par boiling has been around for over ter for several hours and then steamed for 2000 years.

Par boiling does result in the grains having a yellowish look which disapears when the rice is cooked and par boiled rice takes longer to cook as par boiling hardens the grains. In some countries such as USA par boiled rice is sometimes reffered to as "Conveted Rice"

Typically par boilling involves 2 stages the first is where the rice is thrashed from the stalk but still in the husk this is then soaked in water for several hours and then steamed for typically 10 minutes after which it is dried and then milled in the usual way. Parboiled rice makes it less brittle so in the milling process it doesnt break thats why the grains look so perfect.

Basmati and Jasmine are not par boiled and require more attention when cooking but if cooked properly they are delicious. by far the easiest way to cook them is in a rice cooker. they also prefer less water and once the water has boiled it is best to turn stove right down to almostr zero or if you only have low heat possibly even turn off the heat and leave covered.

You will also notice that you get short medium and long grained rice, as a rule of thumb long and medium grained rice is used for savoury and main course dishes and short grain for puddings (They tend to be more sticky) saying that they are also used for Sushi and Risotto or Paella.

Rice is a most dynamic and exciting food its worth getting a book that gives you loads of ideas and recipies.

Happy Cooking

Wow....., I am impressed, thanks so much for that Des, as a fact I didn't even know this. Are you a Chef? Just a good hubby who cooks?

Wow....., I am impressed, thanks so much for that Des, as a fact I didn't even know this. Are you a Chef? Just a good hubby who cooks?

Must so agree with you Kathy - I too am wondering a Chef - or a cooking good hubby..... :)

Erica

Wow, thanks everyone. I feel all better now. It is amazing to know I am not the only one who is a Tastic junkie.

It is just that my men love rice and if you have gone to a lot of trouble making

something yummy to serve with rice..it is quite a downer when the rice is k*k.

LOL.

So I will get yellow & red Sun + Rice Cooker + patience=good meals.

Hugs

Bridget

No such luck Kathy just enjoy cooking and rice is my favorite.

Archived