South African Plumber just arrived

samum

Hi everyone

A friend has just arrived from South Africa - A Plumber. He has just been told that in order to change his licence (plumbing) this will take 6-8 weeks. During this time he is not able to find any employment as a plumber.

Does ANYONE out there have any other information regarding this process or have a contact of someone that would know more information...

Obviously he has a family to support so is urgently needing some answers.

Thanks so much.

Join the Master Plumber Association (Here )

(pls verify this with MPA). You will need certification for any plumbing job apparently because of public liability, indemnity and insurance issues. If you need to attend courses befriend lecturers, they are well connected and can point you in a direction.

Attend all MPA and related events to develop contacts. Find Plumber technical forums, join them and start to contribute. Try to build a social presence with plumbers in the area where you settle.

Get the MPA newsletter/magazine and make contact with those that contribute asking related questions to article content that is in your field

As MPA member you will also have access to the MPA member directory and key role players (Board members of state).

Contact them directly, Build rapport, ask them who are employing and who else to contact – let them point you in a direction

Try to find expat Saffers that can assist you. If you don’t know how - ask ALL your local big suppliers (eg Reece) to point them out.

Also chatting to those customers visiting the local suppliers - great source of information. If you dont know who are these suppliers check who sponsors your local MPA

last resort: Once you determine your immediate employability status use the Yellow Pages and start calling only those with large ads.

If you still struggle you can see: more help

My 2c worth - good luck

Qualified, registered tradies sometimes use apprentices to help them out on their jobs - at least that way he could still get some income while obtaining his Aussie quals. Don't know exactly how that works, but I'm sure there's a way to find out.

Hi there,

Lot's of useful information here.

It might be an idea to enquire at TAFE to see whether they are running the two components of the small business management course. If you want to work for yourself...and this is where the real money is...then you need the Finance and the Business law components in order to get a business licence.

Tamara

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Lot's of useful information here.

It might be an idea to enquire at TAFE to see whether they are running the two components of the small business management course. If you want to work for yourself...and this is where the real money is...then you need the Finance and the Business law components in order to get a business licence.

Tamara

Hi, i know a local plumber quite well and Im sure he can help with the correct info, please email me contact details and I will set a meeting up.

Archived