Handling the application yourself

L.T

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone (electricians) out there who has applied and gone through this process on their own without the help of an agent? My husband qualifies for the skilled migration visa and i am considering handling the application myself. can anyone tell me around what the total cost of this process is and if it is easy to do on your own?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

We did our own application, although hubby is in IT. Our application was relatively straight forward and it's quite easy and simple to do. Many other forumites have also done their own applications, so it can be done.

Have a look on the immi.gov.au website, as you will be able to find the checklist for the visa there, along with the latest visa costs.

All the best!

Michele

I did it on my own and wouldn't have had it any other way. You also have better control.

If your application is reasonably straight forward, no reason to pay an agent.

Nix

Hi

Also did it ourselves, it is straight forward just make sure you read the instructions and follow them properly, and ensure you have all the paperwork required when you submit. Do not try take shortcuts and always be truthfull in all your answers

Best regards

Des

Thanks everyone

You all make it sound so straight forward and easy :0)

Fortunately we are in the situation where it is not a matter of urgency and panic where we have to leave Dubai (or SA like many) and our goal is to be out of here after 2 years, so that gives us enough time. I have already requested some of the documents, certificates that we need and am doing my homework on all the different areas in Aus and where we might want to settle. I think once we have that sorted we will go over and look at a few places and the get the applications in.

Have a super day everyone

LT

Get the application in and THEN look at places ! The one is not dependent on the other, and the GSM visa's are taking quite a while.....

Thanks everyone

You all make it sound so straight forward and easy :0)

Fortunately we are in the situation where it is not a matter of urgency and panic where we have to leave Dubai (or SA like many) and our goal is to be out of here after 2 years, so that gives us enough time. I have already requested some of the documents, certificates that we need and am doing my homework on all the different areas in Aus and where we might want to settle. I think once we have that sorted we will go over and look at a few places and the get the applications in.

Have a super day everyone

LT

Hi L.T

What I am going through, might help you make a descion. We started working with our agent in May 2008, they lodged for us in Jan 2009, everything was great in the beginning, then once I paid them and they lodged, all communication ceased from their side. We went to Aussie in Dec 2009 and met with the agent, but were informed that they can do nothing anymore, as everything is in the hands of immigration. I asked them to check our application in April, as we still had not received any communication from them re: the changes. I received an e-mail to say that we are too pushy and Australian's don't like working with pushy people etc. I tried talking to the immigration hotline to try and find some answers and as soon as they find out I am working through an agent, they refer me back to the agent - very frustrating!!!

Hope this helps

Gwyn

Well, when the visa IS lodged, it IS pretty much in the hands of the Immi Dept and neither you or the agent can do anything more until the day a CO is appointed to you. The Immi Dept states somewhere that applicants should NOT try to contact them personally if you work through an agent, they just cannot handle the bulk of phone calls that would result ! You will get communication from DIAC AND your agent the day a CO is assigned to your application, so the only thing we all can do in this stage (including us ourselves), is WAIT. Yes, it's frustrating - to me it sometimes feel it will never happen, it's all just a mirage in a hot desert. But someday in the future things will move again, but up till then, nobody can do anything, because your file is part of a large pile and all those files get their attention one by one. You cannot hasten OR postpone it and you can do nothing but wait. Enjoy life till then, you've done what you could and you cannot do anything more.

Gwyn - that is the "control" aspect of the application that I was referring to. When our application was lodged, WE could call DIAC and asked about progress.....if you have an agent, that control is in the hands of the agent, and if they don't do it, there is nothing that you can do about it. In my experience, no one has an invested interest in your application like you do....

I couldn't agree more with Nix. We lodged our visa along with a work buddy of my hubby, they had an agent and we did our own. Their agent failed to inform them they received a CO and required further documents, while we found out immediately and had all our docs ready and sent them ASAP. After countless emails and phone calls, their agent informed them they actually had a CO same time we got ours, but he forgot to tell them. By that time, more than a month had gone by!

You pay a lot of money for an agent, and they are after all working for you. I think it's terrible that they're now saying you're being bossy...you're paying them for a service.

We also did our own as it was very straightforward. The online application made it easy too but I think having complications (like RPL, or criminal record, or hard-to-understand relationships/marriage things, or overseas work/long stays requiring tax papers) would make it harder?

I couldn't agree more with Nix. We lodged our visa along with a work buddy of my hubby, they had an agent and we did our own. Their agent failed to inform them they received a CO and required further documents, while we found out immediately and had all our docs ready and sent them ASAP. After countless emails and phone calls, their agent informed them they actually had a CO same time we got ours, but he forgot to tell them. By that time, more than a month had gone by!

You pay a lot of money for an agent, and they are after all working for you. I think it's terrible that they're now saying you're being bossy...you're paying them for a service.

Yup...I think you're referring to our application. Water under the bridge now but we were SERIOUSLY ticked off at the time!!

we are using an agent in AU. We got her recommendation from friends who emmigrated a year ago and was very happy with her. For me it is so convenient - I can ask her any and all questions, she makes sure the application if fine and all the requirements are met. I hope that we will still recommend her when we are done with everything!

Regards

Just like any profession, there are the good, the bad and the mediocre. I e had bad experiences with lawyers, doctors, hairdressers, financial advisors, real estate agents, car salesman.... The list goes on. My advice to everyone is always if you have a striaghtforward application and are a strong detail orientated person, have a crack at your application as they can be done without external assistance. However there are some people who just don't have that quality and make silly mistakes (not submitting IELTS on time, nominating the incorrect occupation etcetera) and have their application declined as a result. They lose their money and then end up appointing someone to help them and worse, have to pay the application fee again. And of course there are those applications that are complex due to skills assessment requirements, health issues, age exemptions, sponsorship requirements and so on where a GOOD agent is invaluable.

As has been said here, once the application is lodged, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do. It's in the hands of DIAC and if they aren't processing, they aren't processing....simple. And they get very snippy with ppl calling all the time....it isn't unheard of for that application to find itself on the bottom of the pile. They're human and they they get annoyed like the rest of us. Good agents know how far they can push without incurring their wrath as they work with them everyday and have relationships with them.

Finally, if your agent isn't holding up their end and you want to be able to contact DIAC directly, you can use the Form 956 to do so and to appoint yourself as the contact person. Call your agent and tell them you're taking this step and see if that changes their attitude. If not, send the form in to DIAC and in future they'll talk to you. Without doing this, they are legally unable to talk to you as you have appointed the agent as he authorized recipient of all Information.

Good luck guy, and hang in there

Ajah

Finally, if your agent isn't holding up their end and you want to be able to contact DIAC directly, you can use the Form 956 to do so and to appoint yourself as the contact person. Call your agent and tell them you're taking this step and see if that changes their attitude. If not, send the form in to DIAC and in future they'll talk to you. Without doing this, they are legally unable to talk to you as you have appointed the agent as he authorized recipient of all Information.

Good advice! So, at the end of the day, you can still get the control back if your agent sucks! :(

(Almost like a "you're fired" letter...LOL! :D )

We had to work through an agent as we were employer sponsored and the company had their agent of preference. For the 457 it all went well and they were very efficient, but when we did the PR, the company changed to anoher migration firm and the service was like a lightbulb at the end of it's life : a few bright moments followed by darkness. We just stayed on top of it and rang every couple of days (not for the outcome, but pending confirmation that they submitted certain documents we've passed on to them which was still sitting in someone's in tray etc.). The secret is to be nice (even if you want to poke yourself in the eye with frustration!) We got all our stuff through in good time by being on top of it in a nice way, and only eased up when our full application was submitted and a case officer allocated.

Good advice fromAjay...if you have a simple application and are a detail oriented person, then go for it yourself. That what I did successfully. It took 10 months from start date( apply for skills assessment) to finish date (apply DIAC), but there are many things that can be done concurrently to save time of needed. if your situation is complex, then go with a reputable agent (see agents on this forum) who will go the extra mile for you. But you will still need to do a lot of leg work yourself...your agent is not going to re-create documents/references/RPL and prepare for IELTS etc...thats your task, and it takes time and money.

I had an application that no agent wanted to touch, so i had to do it myself. I am glad that i did, because i had beter control over it, and when the rules changed i was in the position to make a few quick changes and ensured that i did not have to wait until 2012 like a lot of other poeple.

Someone DID mention that you have to pay attention to ALL the detail, read, read, read and research, also ask questions on the forum if in doubt. Good Luck

Stephen

We also decided to do it ourselves. Started by reading EVERYTHING about the country and immigration we could lay our hands on.

In the end it is much easier than you think. Do not rush - Take your time and prepare a proper application for each step of the way (IELTS, skills assessment etc.). It takes a little bit longer but we hope that in the end it will be worth it.

We see the whole journey as trying to go up a sand-dune - One step forward and two steps back - But when you get to the top you go downhill all the way!!

Good Luck!!

Archived