Fish braai

Tamara HDU

Hi there,

There's a fish shop in Old Reynella called Browny's.

It's about 30 metres away from the Crown hotel on the opposite side of the road. They have cod for the Brits and the other day they had snoek which is great for a proper fish braai!

Just thought that i would share this for those of us who are already here!

Tamara :ilikeit:

Hi there,

There's a fish shop in Old Reynella called Browny's.

It's about 30 metres away from the Crown hotel on the opposite side of the road. They have cod for the Brits and the other day they had snoek which is great for a proper fish braai!

Just thought that i would share this for those of us who are already here!

Tamara :ilikeit:

Hi Tamara

Oh YUM!!!

Snoek is soooo amazing on the braai - tin foil and of course apricot jam!!!!! :ilikeit: For those who can get there......enjoy!! (so envious)

Erica

Hi Erica,

Thanks!

We have a New Zealand / South African family arriving at the end of the week. They said the same thing except "Koo apricot jam" ! We have also just bought proper braais (the wood and briquette type).

They sent us a picture so that i will recognise them at the airport and it's a picture of the gardens in Wellington where I have the same picture taken earlier this year.

small world or what.

We are visiting Perth in Feb next year (thanks to 2 for the price of 1 incentive tickets). We almost moved to Perth ourselves!

Tamara

Hi Erica,

Thanks!

We have a New Zealand / South African family arriving at the end of the week. They said the same thing except "Koo apricot jam" ! We have also just bought proper braais (the wood and briquette type).

They sent us a picture so that i will recognise them at the airport and it's a picture of the gardens in Wellington where I have the same picture taken earlier this year.

small world or what.

We are visiting Perth in Feb next year (thanks to 2 for the price of 1 incentive tickets). We almost moved to Perth ourselves!

Tamara

:lol::lol: I am sure a lot of people will think.....huh....fish with jam...... :ilikeit: so don't knock it till you have tried it! (and it has to be Koo of course) Yip, miss the good old 'proper' braai, cannot quiet get my head around the gas barbie.....nice enough - but heck, it does not beat a wood fire, that smell and of course the heat coming from it, socially much better and longer, as with the BBQ, it is all over way too soon..... :ilikeit: Enjoy your guests! It is indeed a small world.

Erica

[Ok snoek is all right but where can I get decent boerewors???

[Ok snoek is all right but where can I get decent boerewors???

Sorry, the best boerewors in the world (including South Africa!) is at Springbok Delights in Sydney. :(

Sorry, the best boerewors in the world (including South Africa!) is at Springbok Delights in Sydney. :lol:

Really?!

Did you ever taste the boerewors from Morris's butcher in Long Street Cape Town?

Is there anywhere decent in Adelaide to buy boerewors from? I have noticed that some of the Woolworths have started selling what they lable "boerewors" but it isn't!

We were in New Zealand earlier this year and i was surprised by the amount of South African food you could buy in the local supermarkets. The girl on the checkout asked us where we were from in SA because we were buying Simba chips and wine gums! :(

Sorry, the best boerewors in the world (including South Africa!) is at Springbok Delights in Sydney. :(

Sorry :lol: but I have to stick up for CAPE TO CAIRO in Perth's Boerie, :lol: its the best we have had in OZ and my husband is fussy :holy: so if he says its good, its good :lol:

Sorry :lol: but I have to stick up for CAPE TO CAIRO in Perth's Boerie, :( its the best we have had in OZ and my husband is fussy :lol: so if he says its good, its good :holy:

I SO agreed with you briggs....

Erica

Never thought I would get excited about Fish! Thanks for that tip

Excellent Boerrie is available at a shop calld Barossa Food, they are in a shopping centre called Castle Plaza

Really?!

Did you ever taste the boerewors from Morris's butcher in Long Street Cape Town?

Is there anywhere decent in Adelaide to buy boerewors from? I have noticed that some of the Woolworths have started selling what they lable "boerewors" but it isn't!

We were in New Zealand earlier this year and i was surprised by the amount of South African food you could buy in the local supermarkets. The girl on the checkout asked us where we were from in SA because we were buying Simba chips and wine gums! :glare:

Ahhh - and I believe that some of the shops in NZ are open 24 hours..... :ilikeit::ilikeit: for those midnight munchies without spending a fortune at the local garage!!!!! :ph34r: Yes - I have bought from Morris's in Long Street.....is it still there?? Long street is good for other little hang out's too..... :whome: Great street!

Also a stunning Moslem butcher in Lansdowne area...cannot remember what it was called....stunning wors!!

Erica

• 2 months later...
Ok snoek is all right but where can I get decent boerewors???

Opposite Holden hill police station, the little butcher shop in the Woollies Center.

According to Wiktionary, the word snoek is derived from: "Afrikaans from Dutch zeesnoek 'sea pike'". Wish I were in Adelaide to buy some - yum. :lol:

Boerewors = Brian's Gourmet foods, Jetty rd Glenelg $8.99 a kilo. He also make very good biltong, but only by request and only occasionally.

Snoek = Snook, available at almost any fish markets in Adelaide and of course off the jettys :ilikeit: . It's the same fish as the Cape snoek, but they tend to be smaller here. Don't freeze it!

There is also a Barossa Fine Foods at the Central Markets and in the Newton shopping centre have not tried the boerewors though but buy my meat from them and must admit there duck and veal sausages are my favorite at the moment!!

Archived