SA Doctors in Hills District or anywhere else in Sydney

Heymanse

Anyone know of South African doctors in the Hills District or for that matter, anywhere else in Sydney? Like a previous forumite, I'm getting frustrated with doctors here - I have to this day not seen one Australian doctor either, just doctors that have immigrated from other countries. There has been rare occasions where they actually got the diagnosis correct but more than often they don't. Just 2 weeks ago I went to see a doctor w.r.t. a rash I had after returning from a trip to Fiji. I told the doctor that I think sandflies bit me - he neither confirmed nor denied that the rash was as a result of sandfly bites. Gave me an ointment and the rash got so bad that I went back to another doctor three days later. She took one look at me and said I had shingles, possibly chickenpox because the rash seemed to have spread to other parts of my body. Thanks to google, I did my own research when I didn't get better after 5 days and realised that the only thing I had was hives - an allergic reaction due to bug bites I got in Fiji and nothing that a good ointment against the itching and antihistamine tables won't fix! So now I'm over and done with all these foreign doctors that just do some guess work as to what is wrong with you and don't do throrough examinations / tests before coming to a conclusion. So if you know of a South African doctor out there, please let me know.

I know the frustration. I would love to see a South African or Australian doc myself. My obstetrician was South African (although he has been here many many years) and even though he had a rather strict bedside manner, I would rather deal with him than anyone else!

I think there's a medical practice in St Ives that's staffed with mostly South African doctors....you'd have to google it to get the details though.

Our family has been seeing Dr John Muller for 7 years and have been happy with him. He is in Castle Hill Medical Centre. The address is 269 - 271 Old Northern Road, Castle Hill. Parking is at the rear of the medical centre.

He is an elderly doctor and is Australian. The only downfall is he is extremely busy. It often means a long wait in the waiting room!

I believe he is married to a SAfrican lady.

I've heard of John Muller and also that he is extremely busy and that would probably be the downside of it. Would I not be able to just walk in if I need to see him?

Hi there. My husband is a dermatologist based in Mona Vale and Chatswood. If anyone would like the contact details of the practice, you are welcome to PM me.

Thanks

Dr Shapiro in King Street MAscot near the airport is brilliant. We've been with him for 2yrs now and it certainly feels like home.

I've heard of John Muller and also that he is extremely busy and that would probably be the downside of it. Would I not be able to just walk in if I need to see him?

I'm sure if it is urgent, you could walk in and get to see him. If it is not an emergency, it would not be fair on the other patients who made an appointment as they will now have to wait.

• 6 months later...

Absolutely share the frustration. Had a very bad post nasal drip and went to the Chatswood 24 hr medical centre on Christmas day and was very disappointed.

Try the medical centre on the corner of Lane Cove and Epping road in North Ryde. The female Indian doctor is pretty good and waiting times are very reasonable,. They also do direct billing so you just swipe your medicare card.

It doesn't compare to my house doctor back home but certainly the best experience I had in Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know of South African doctors in the Hills District or for that matter, anywhere else in Sydney? Like a previous forumite, I'm getting frustrated with doctors here - I have to this day not seen one Australian doctor either, just doctors that have immigrated from other countries. There has been rare occasions where they actually got the diagnosis correct but more than often they don't. Just 2 weeks ago I went to see a doctor w.r.t. a rash I had after returning from a trip to Fiji. I told the doctor that I think sandflies bit me - he neither confirmed nor denied that the rash was as a result of sandfly bites. Gave me an ointment and the rash got so bad that I went back to another doctor three days later. She took one look at me and said I had shingles, possibly chickenpox because the rash seemed to have spread to other parts of my body. Thanks to google, I did my own research when I didn't get better after 5 days and realised that the only thing I had was hives - an allergic reaction due to bug bites I got in Fiji and nothing that a good ointment against the itching and antihistamine tables won't fix! So now I'm over and done with all these foreign doctors that just do some guess work as to what is wrong with you and don't do throrough examinations / tests before coming to a conclusion. So if you know of a South African doctor out there, please let me know.

Dr Robin Kaye at St Ives Medical Centre, Mona Vale Road - Tel No 9440 5050 - is brilliant. She is South African.

• 6 months later...

SA Doctor sorry kan nie help nie, maar SA Tantarts, Dr Nolly, Hurstville Dental Clinic Ek like hom sommer baie.

• 5 months later...

I know it might be a bit out of the way , but we see dr Badenhorst at Warratah Medical centre in Morriset. Quite a few SA docs and i believe Dr Uli Schmidt may be in practice somewhere near Wyong Hospital.

Try the St Ives General Medical Practice 341 Mona Vale rd St Ives NSW 2076. It is a female practice. All the female doc are fabulous been to all of them we have been going for years. Dr Been's ex-South African. Dr Kamilla Urbaniak is especially good with babies and children. Phone 02 9449 5999

• 1 month later...

I agree the St Ives Medical Practice is marvellous and many South African doctors work there. I have been to Dr Been, Dr Urnbaniak but I find one of the best there is Dr Abirah Karabelnik!!

Just like anything else in starting your new life in Aus, you'll have to do a bit of a run around to find a new dr, dentist, optometrist etc. it's not about where they were born but how good they are and how well you feel you could trust them. Finding that with the 1st dr you go to, would just be luck. We've been trough it (endless doctors from various medical centres for everything from flu to sprained ankles, at least 3 dentists etc.) And we now finally found doctors we're happy with - none of them South African btw.

I understand your frustration - been there and if I remember correctly from way back then, I even asked the very same question on this forum (desperately seeking a Saffer dr!) You'll just have to shop around a bit, go by word of mouth and your gut feel.

PS: had the same allergic reaction coming back from Fiji - went away on it's own (seeing it was scary though - thought I had some sort of incureable jungle disease! LOL!)

Archived