Employment agencies

Lisa S

My husband has been for interviews with 3 different employment agencies, and has heard nothing from any of them now going on 3 weeks. He responded to 2 private company adverts for employment and guess what got offered them both. So now we think that angencies dont even consider putting your CV forward for jobs if you dont meet the criteria exactly. My husband didnt meet the exact criteria for both these jobs and they are both willing to give him a try. The one he started 2 weeks ago are paying him a low wage but it was something, now he has been offered another job night shift at just under double what he was on.

So a word of advice apply for jobs in the newspaper or on the Seek site which are from private companies, you have a much better chance. There have been many that we have applied for via agencies and he has everything that they are asking and nothing not even a phone call or email back.

Things are looking up for us, we have a house now and next week will go and enrol my son in school, even though I am feeling so guilty as he has missed a whole term of school.

Two funny stories from our side - the first:

My husband applied for a job supporting a specific networking tool.

He was rebuffed by the employment agency that they didn't feel he was qualified enough.

Here is the irony....

Hubby is the person who actually designed and wrote the tool! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown::whome::lol:

The second story:

When we first arrived, there was also another position where his application was also rejected.

A year later, via a contact, he got an interview for that job - the job that he had applied for a year ago. They instantly made him an offer. After a month in his job, the big boss flew to Perth and congratulated him on what a sterling job he was doing and joked asking him where he had been a year ago when they advertised first? Hubby candidly told them that he had in fact applied, but was rejected. The big boss immediately got on the phone with the agency to give them hell!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agencies are mostly useless. Hubby phoned one of the biggest IT recruitment companies when we got here, and the guy told him they're just not interested. He wanted to apply for a job via them, but ended up getting a similar job at another company. The agent from the IT recruit company was plain rude. I agree, where possible, try and contact companies directly, unless you really do meet all the requirements set out by the agents.

Something to be wary of...I now speak from experience... Sometimes those companies advertise themselves because the agencies refuse to recruit for them because they either don't pay the fee or staff leave soon after joining. Bad companies also get a rep in the agency arena.

-G

Agreed.

What I don't "get" is that these agencies usually earn a very high commission - they should be falling all over people to help - but they don't.

From having coffee with a number of agents I have seen that a lot of the time Agencies are primarily concerned with their long term relationship with their clients, so they are often very careful about who they send through.

-G

Archived