Flying on 3 July

Estelle_B

Hi all,

Our PR was granted somewhere end Jan beginning Feb 2010 and my husband received a job offer in Armidale NSW. We are in the packing up process and will be leaving SA on 3 July.

According to all I have read Armidale is very cold (I'm from Limpopo) which brings me to the problem. Hubby's new boss is looking for interim furnished accommodation (6 months) but then where do you store your container stuff? And what about summer clothing that is going by container but will be needed in month or 3. How do you access selected stored items? Alternatively how do you camp in non-furnished accommodation in between -5 and 10 degrees C? As we are bringing beds and stuff it seems like a waste to buy new mattresses etc.

Any advice will be appreciated. Who else is in Armidale?

Thanks

Hmm, cant help you there, but just wanted to mention that you are flying on my birthday. :lol:

Hi, welcome to the forum !

I'd suggest you find out where you can hire furniture - there are shops where you can hire furniture for as long as you like, even buy them or some of it after a while.

I guess one can organize for a container to be kept for a while, but there might be costs involved. Don't know too much about details.

If you cannot access your stuff in the container, why not buy absolute basics ? You'll start buying there sometime anyway !

Only my 2c.

Alternatively, sell some items at home that you would want to replace anyway - then you can buy those items when you arrive. (E.g glasses, mugs, crockery....) and you will only need to rent fewer items.

J

Of course the second hand shops are a great buy to pick up a bargain!

And buying from the charity shops is helping the needy too.

All the best with your planning and try and enjoy your last month in RSA! Make the most of the time you have there, spend time with family, try do some of the touristy things, especially the wildlife, cos that is one thing Australia does not offer! And take lots of photos.

Good luck!

I would seriously reconsider bringing beds - the double beds are a different size which means that you are forever going to be ordering linen from SA or altering fitted sheets from Aus. Other things to keep in mind: mattresses really ought to be replaced every 7 years, they take up heaps of space in a container, they may bring bugs in from SA (the pine in the bases isn't always properly treated during the manufacturing process)

We came over "bedless" and bought new on arrival so at least we had that for our camping period. Also, the charity shops (Vinny's, Good Sammy, Salvos etc) sell second hand plates, cups, glasses really cheaply, you can use those while you're waiting and then donate back when your container arrives. You can hire white goods, TV, PC etc and all houses have curtains / blinds as fixtures.

Another option is to look into sending one or two boxes ahead of the container with the some of the basics you may need.

I have 2 double beds, one from SAfrica and one purchased here in Aus. They are exactly the same and take the same linen. The queen and King size beds are different.

If you can borrow camping gear from someone, it can help you until your container arrives.

Alternatively, when you need to move from your furnished apartment, book into a cabin in a caravan park. Cabins have basic furniture with crockery and cutlery. You should also be able to negotiate a good weekly rate for a longer term stay.

Thanks all!!!

Choices choices ... but we've made it to this point. Won't stop now :ilikeit:

Archived