NSW drivers licence application

SAman4Aus

I am relocating to Sydney in July and want to convert my licence ASAP.

However, I am staying in a serviced apartment for the first 4 weeks so won’t have any utility bill to prove my address. How do I prove my address then? Assuming I can get the agent to give me a letter(?), I will also have my father with me who will also need a licence and the rental is on my name. (?)

Where in Sydney does one get the forms and do the licence conversion? How long does it take?

I am relocating to Sydney in July and want to convert my licence ASAP.

However, I am staying in a serviced apartment for the first 4 weeks so won’t have any utility bill to prove my address. How do I prove my address then? Assuming I can get the agent to give me a letter(?), I will also have my father with me who will also need a licence and the rental is on my name. (?)

Where in Sydney does one get the forms and do the licence conversion? How long does it take?

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not just a conversion matter - you're going to do the tests to get your new drivers licence.

You'll have to make an appointment with the RTA to do your learners first (written exam) http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/...rknowledgetest/,

then make an appointment to go for your drivers licence. The learners you can arrange online, and use your temporary address - we also did that, although it's probably better to get a postal address asap, otherwise is hard to retrieve your post (if they would send anything to that address, or use your work address for postal delivery).

You've got 3 months on your international drivers licence. Do you have PR?

Yes I do have PR.

Getting a postal address may be tricky as I dont know in which area I will be living or working. So using my work address also wont work as I dont have a job.

How do I provide proof of residency? I wont have any utility bills as Im renting a furnished apartment?

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not just a conversion matter - you're going to do the tests to get your new drivers licence.

You'll have to make an appointment with the RTA to do your learners first (written exam) http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/...rknowledgetest/,

then make an appointment to go for your drivers licence. The learners you can arrange online, and use your temporary address - we also did that, although it's probably better to get a postal address asap, otherwise is hard to retrieve your post (if they would send anything to that address, or use your work address for postal delivery).

You've got 3 months on your international drivers licence. Do you have PR?

Use the rental contract or any letter from where you are renting with your name on

We applied online for a tax number and used our current addressit took a couple of days then i received the letter from the tax man and we then used this as proof of residency. When you move again you just update them online of your new address. Or else go open a bank account with your temp address and ask the bank for a letter confirming this or a bank statement. But as I say our tax numbers letters were good enough as proof and it took a couple of days to come to us in the post.

We applied online for a tax number and used our current addressit took a couple of days then i received the letter from the tax man and we then used this as proof of residency. When you move again you just update them online of your new address. Or else go open a bank account with your temp address and ask the bank for a letter confirming this or a bank statement. But as I say our tax numbers letters were good enough as proof and it took a couple of days to come to us in the post.

The tax application sounds like a solid move as I'll need it anyway.

1. Do I need a job to apply for the tax number?

2. Can I do it from SA a few days before I leave to spead up the process?

3. What is there web address?

Hi there here is the web site to go on for your tax file number. www.ato.gov.au. You can only apply for this once you are in Oz but as I said before it does not take long to come in the post.

You must apply as soon as you arrive because it is in your best interest to have a tax file number before you start work or else you pay heavy on tax.

Lisa

Archived