Going to South Africa for the world cup

Raymond & Bonni

Question

He will be going to SA in 2 weeks time.

He is an Ozzie.

He asked me for advise and places to see.

He will spend most of his time in Johannesburg and Rustenburg...

What do I say to him?

Do I warn him of the bad?

Please help :lol:

22 answers to this question

Tell him to be careful and safe but most importantly tell him:

That South Africa is beautiful.

That he is going to love the people here.

That we know how to "jol".

That he should have a beer at the shebeen opposite Soccer city

And spend lots of dollars here!

I think the world cup is wonderful! I think the world is going to love it!

Tell him to be careful and safe but most importantly tell him:

That South Africa is beautiful.

That he is going to love the people here.

That we know how to "jol".

That he should have a beer at the shebeen opposite Soccer city

And spend lots of dollars here!

I think the world cup is wonderful! I think the world is going to love it!

Hi Allison

I agree ....and I hope that you/we are right..... :cry:

The "beer at the shebeen opposite Soccer City" would probably be a great experience for him but maybe he should give that one a miss (he can always go to Cape York for a similar experience. :whome:

Enjoy!!!! and I hope that Bafana Bafana make the second round...............with the Socceroos :unsure::blush::blush::blush::ilikeit:

I agree with "short&tall" : AIDS is NOT a rumour !!!

and tell him to not drive around with an open window - it would save him so much harrassment !

The hype here is BIG! Come with an open mind, watch as much soccer as he can, spend lots of dollars and enjoy a wonderfull country with fantastic people. Like most places, be sensible, be streetwise and be aware of people and surrounds.

Rather stay in a lodge and/or in the country than Johannesburg, for obvious reasons.

If he is a bit of a lad...

Maybe advise him that no sex is probably the safest sex - or to condomise...

1:11 of the total population HIV +ve - but in say the 25 year old age bracket it is more like 1:4

But to have fun and be sensible.

I am not one to defend SA around crime at all but i dont feel too sorry for the colombians. They left R30 000 cash unsecured in their room. Not in safe. Not smart anywhere in the world!

Thank you so much, I spoke to him this morning and he is very excited! :ilikeit:

He will be going to SA in 2 weeks time.

He is an Ozzie.

He asked me for advise and places to see.

He will spend most of his time in Johannesburg and Rustenburg...

What do I say to him?

Do I warn him of the bad?

Please help :ilikeit:

I am also going-he will have a great time

just be extra careful and avoid trouble spots

tell him to have a jol and be carefull, like you would do if you went anywhere in the world.

jimmi

I've spoken to my mom last night and she said that the Colombian and Australian soccer teams are already in SA. The Colombian team booked themselved into a Southern Sun Hotel in JHB and were robbed already by two maids thats working at the hotel.

Tell him to be careful and don't trust anyone.

Tell him the truth but also tell him that SA is a beautiful country and that he should enjoy it.

tell him to be safe, travel in groups etc, and not to listen to the naysayers, this is an opportunity for South Africa(ns) to shine its light all over the world. Its going to be Ayoba, and Mzansi!

Tell him his chances of dying from unnatural causes are 30-40 times greater in South Africa.

And don't forget ........ EARPLUGS

I'll second that it is bad enough trying to hear the commentors over the vuvazellas just watching the matches on TV

...and have good medical insurance!

If I were him I would book into Sun City and only wander out to see the odd game.

I tell people to carry minimal cash, not to walk the streets at night, and NOT to resist if apprehended. Its not worth trying to be macho.

Maybe its a good idea to tell him not to be too trusting of stranges and be careful of the beggars ! Do not be flashy with his wallet and his mobile. If he does take a cab check the route first how long it should take from A -B. Maybe leave his valuables at home, take a certified copy of his passport and carry that with him. Tell him to ENJOY AND COME BACK HOME SAFELY !

And don't forget ........ EARPLUGS

The Ten Rules of visiting SA

1. He must learn to say 'Voetsek'

2. He must only use the ATMs at Shopping Centres

3. He must not trust anyone at the airports. Take a shuttle to the hotel etc.

4. He must keep some cash on him; not all - leave at the hotel safe.

5. He must carry a certified copy of passport.

6. Travel in groups.

7. Do not flash your gizmos.

8. Must visit some of Jhb restaurants; they are superb.

9. He must try Snoek

10. He must have a jol.

Then he should be ok.

Maybe its a good idea to tell him not to be too trusting of stranges and be careful of the beggars ! Do not be flashy with his wallet and his mobile. If he does take a cab check the route first how long it should take from A -B. Maybe leave his valuables at home, take a certified copy of his passport and carry that with him. Tell him to ENJOY AND COME BACK HOME SAFELY !

You should definitely be honest with him. If he then still decide to go, it's up to him. At least he made an informed decision.

Thing with the tourists is that they are not street smart. They don't know how to be safe, not to go certain places, stay in groups of where there's lots of people, not to display all their gadgets & cameras, be extra careful after dark, which are the must avoid areas in Jhb & Rustenburg etc... All the general things second nature to Saffers... You don't have to be gory - just be honest.

With the World Cup there has certainly been more focus on SA and the crime here at our offices as well.

And I was pretty much asked the same thing.

And how can you not just be honest?

You have to warn about the crime becuase there is not much escaping it.

I said the the guys here that they have to be more aware of what is going on around them and not go look for trouble.

What more is there to say really?

Archived