Hi Everyone

vita nova

Firstly my apologies if this post comes out all crooked, I am not very adept at these things but am learning fast.

Vita Nova is Latin for NEW BEGINNING which is what we are dreaming of.

We are from Bloemfontein, 43 and 42 years respectively with our 2 kids of 4 and 12.

We have been thinking of making the move to Aus but there was always something keeping us back.

On reconciliation day 16 December 2009 my son, who was still 11 years old, and his nephew nagged to go get a dvd. Normally they go nowhere without me taking them, but that day my car was still in for repairs and they were closed for the holiday. They nagged so consistently, that I finally agreed that they can walk the 2 blocks to the shop.

Two robbers came from behind them and when they started running the 2 men chased them with knives. Unfortunately my sons foot slipped and he fell on the tar road. One of the assailants got on top of my 11 year old son and held the knife to his throat. The other one felt through his pockets and said he must give them his stuff or he will kill him. They took R 20.00. Luckily he didnt slit his throat but kicked his face head and torso black and blue. :holy:

His nephew ran and screamed for help, but the people living in the townhouses were too afraid to assist as they would become targets too and went inside and watched from the window. An elderly gentleman of approx 70 years picked up the nephew with his car and they drove to my son who have already started trying to get home.

To this day I will never be able to forgive myself for the fact that I endangered my sons life by allowing him to walk the short distance to the shops.

Although the odds are against us, I will not leave a stone unturned in my quest to get my children to a safer country.

There, now finally I am not a lurker anymore. :ilikeit:

Welcome, we will help you anyway we can here and hope your journey is a good one

Oh my, I'm an ex-Bloemie myself, can't imagine that lovely city becoming a regular crime scene as well ! My parents lives there still, I hear all kinds of horror stories coming from the once sleepy, tree lined streets of Bloem.

If you want to meet up with other Bloemies-on-the-way, PM Aktief55+ on the forum and arrange to meet them, they'll be deligthed !

Welcome to the forum, may the odds against you prove to be no odds...

Hello Vita Nova

My sister have a townhouse in Bloem but since last week no longer owns a car, jewelery or anything they could fit trough the bathroom window. "They" had a ball trouhging things out of the cupbards and breaking burglarbars, etc. My sister is safer working in Iraq!!!

P.S We sometimes go to Bloem to visit the family.

Hestie

Welcome. Good to have you here. Its a long road but a safe country awaits the end.

Hi

Welcome, im in Ladybrand, not too far from Bloem!

Good Luck with your applications and hope you all stay safe until you leave.

Welcome to the forum!!

May your migration journey be speedy and exciting and your "new life" a happy one :holy:

Welcome to the forum and may your journey ahead be a smooth one.

Hi, Welcome and all the best with the start of your journey!

Regards,

Thanx everyone for the warm welcome. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to contribute more to the forum. Just being able to discuss matters and be part of the forum already makes me feel more secure to tackle our journey. Thank you to all for the great environment.

Yes Bloemies has changed alot. If it is so bad here, I shudder to imagine what our friends and family in Gauteng etc have to survive through.

No wonder my dad has 6ft walls with electrical wiring on top, security cameras and steel safety doors to their bedrooms in Waverley, Gauteng. :thumbdown:

Have a great day :ilikeit:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and welcome

I am a noobie too :angry:

So sorry that your son had to go through that! My daughter was 3 when armed robbers (guns blazing) came into the daycare centre where I had just dropped her off and demanded my car.

No child (or adult) should have to endure anything close to this in their lifetimes!

Hope you will have a quick, effortless journey!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! I am also from Bloemies but left there 3 years ago to move to a safer life in Dubai.

It is sad to hear that Bloem has become so dangerous as i have plenty of good memories living there.

My sister, her husband and 2 small kids as well as my 'to-be' sister in law still live there and i send an extra prayer up for them and all our friends in SA every night. We ourselves are only getting ready to take that leap and start the immigration process now, so you are not alone. We are all here to help each other - or just to chat and get things off our chests. Shout if we can help in any way and god luck!

We have been thinking of making the move to Aus but there was always something keeping us back.

To this day I will never be able to forgive myself for the fact that I endangered my sons life

So many people are still on that 1st sentence, waiting for enough reason to leave...

What is enough reason?.. The frogs are boiling and they don't know it. :ilikeit:

Welcome to the forum! :ilikeit:

So sorry that your son had to go through that but good on you for making that choice for your family! In time your son will hopefully put this behind him and enjoy his free life in Australia, admiring his parents for giving him that opportunity!

Good luck with all your plans. It is not an easy road, and often a very long road, but a definitely a road worth travelling! Shout if we can help with advice or support - we're like minded people here and it is our passion to help people like you realise their dreams!

Hi, Vita Nova and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that your decision had to be made under such circumstances.

No country is completely safe from crime, but once you get here, you will see how normal it is for kids to be able to walk/ride just about anywhere and not feel threatened.

I often prefer to go jogging late at night because in the afternoon there are so many kids playing in the streets, I have to spend half my time dodging them! :ilikeit:

Best of luck with your journey!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really sorry about what your son had to go through.

I wish you guys all the best and a speedy visa application!

Archived