Surf fishing NOR Perth

Juba

Hi all

I have now spend so much time on the internet to try and find out how to start surf fishing that my head is spinning. Is there someone who can give me a bit of advice on where to start, maybe share a few tips. I am not a serious fisherman, it would more be a hobby, something to do with the kids etc but then again, I do not want to sit on the beach for the whole day and not take a fish home. I have a 4wd and know that wilbinga is a good spot to fish, also near burns beach.

My questions are more related to bait, what to use?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Juba

Hi Juba, If you want to catch the smaller fish such as herring, skippy & whiting, bait such as prawn, squid or octopus work well. This type of bait is available at most fishing tackle shops and they are good places to get tips. I would suggest a light line 20 kg or under. Small hooks. Burley cage with a lead weight in it. A small bag of burley mix (or make your own). Suggest that you cast your bait & burley mix into sandy areas and once you start getting a few nibbles slowly, reel in until one gets hooked (hopefully). Early to mid morning is usually a good time to fish. As an alternative to a burley cage you can use a wooden or plastic float with a big hole in it to put burley in, this should give you enough weight to cast your line. Good luck.

Hi Juba, If you want to catch the smaller fish such as herring, skippy & whiting, bait such as prawn, squid or octopus work well. This type of bait is available at most fishing tackle shops and they are good places to get tips. I would suggest a light line 20 kg or under. Small hooks. Burley cage with a lead weight in it. A small bag of burley mix (or make your own). Suggest that you cast your bait & burley mix into sandy areas and once you start getting a few nibbles slowly, reel in until one gets hooked (hopefully). Early to mid morning is usually a good time to fish. As an alternative to a burley cage you can use a wooden or plastic float with a big hole in it to put burley in, this should give you enough weight to cast your line. Good luck.

Hi Maritana

Thanks for the tips. I bought some hooks, weights and bait earlier today. Will let you know how things turned out, a bit rainy today, so maybe I will go out later today or tomorrow. Will also stop at a tackle shop for more info, but at least I have a good starting point. Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated

Juba :)

• 1 month later...

Archived