Public Hospitals in Oz

catz

Hi there,

Hoping for some input on this one as i must make a decision as to where i want to have my baby in July.

Medicare told me that i could go to a public hospital either as a public or a private patient. Private, then i would have to cough up for about 25% of the bill, or public patient, then i dont even see a bill for my stay there. I was wondering what the standards are like at Public hospitals and if a person would be treated differently with regard to service, quality of service if you booked in as a public patient. As well as what care for the baby would be like.

A private hospital will not even be an option, as i we do not have thousands of dollars lying around to go to medical bills.

Any opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Caro

Caro

The public hospitals in Oz is of very high standard compared to SA but it also depends on what state you will be moving to and what public hospital you will be going to. In Western Australia the standard is very high I know Queensland has a bit of a public medical services problem but still not comparable to SA

What you can also do is go to this website as it is for Nurses that want to migrate to Oz and I am sure if you know what hospital you want to go to you can post something there asking them how they rate that hospital or they will be able to point you to the best one in the state you plan to move to.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Caro

The public hospitals in Oz is of very high standard compared to SA but it also depends on what state you will be moving to and what public hospital you will be going to. In Western Australia the standard is very high I know Queensland has a bit of a public medical services problem but still not comparable to SA

What you can also do is go to this website as it is for Nurses that want to migrate to Oz and I am sure if you know what hospital you want to go to you can post something there asking them how they rate that hospital or they will be able to point you to the best one in the state you plan to move to.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Thanks Johan,

I am in Victoria, Melbourne.... we are close to the Sandringham District Hospital so i might go there.

Will have a look at the site you posted!