Will my SA ADSL modem work in Aus?

Johan du Toit

Hi,

I am hoping someone would know this. Will South African ADSL modem work in Asutralia?

Hi,

I am not the Guru about these things but remember that although your modem might be an international model, the Telscum people has modified its firmware to be "tamper"-proof so expect trouble trying to connect it to a "foreign" telco's wires.

Just my 2c worth

Good luck.

Hi,

I am hoping someone would know this. Will South African ADSL modem work in Asutralia?

What DSL modem do you have? There should be no issues. There are no 'South Africa' specific modems . They're built on a technology and not developed/created for a country.

Its the same as asking if your cellphone will work abroad on another GSM network....GSM in SA = GSM in another country (international roaming). Likewise ADSL in SA = ADSL in another country. The technologies are exactly the same.

The only issues you might run into, which are quickly resolved, is different jack sizes and a new pots filter. Both can be picked up at any telecoms company at next to nothing.

Watch out for ADSL2 .... they appear that they might use a newer a version .... you can us your own router .... spoken as r"outer" not rooter....

just check that it supports ADSL2

Archived