NO AGENT NEED HELP

CarolynSG

My Husband and I are planning on leaving SA to go to Australia. We do not want to go through an agent, because of the simple fact - we cannot afford one.

My husband did one of those points assesments on the net, and he qualifies with 120 points for a skilled workers visa.

Can someone please be so kind to help me with information about WHAT we need and WHEN. What application forms what documents etc. WHO do we submitte our documents through to etc?

Once we are in Australia we will then apply for our PR. What documents are we needing for that, as i want to make sure we have everything needed before leaving SA.

I am really an ameture at this and i have no idea where to start.

Any help or advise please!!!! Email : cgernetzky@cse.maravedi.co.za

:thumbdown:

Hi Carolyn

You don't need an agent it quite a straight forward process.

Sorry to sound a bit stupid but I don't understand what type of visa you are going to OZ with, please can you tell me what visa you are going with ???

I am sure that you will find all the help you need here. Good Luck

Cheers

Rudi

Hi CarolynSG :ilikeit:

You are, as far as I can see, going to Oz on the Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 136), which requires a minimum of 120 points. (This visa automatically gives you PR, so no need to apply for PR when in Oz, as mentioned in your post.)

For all info about this visa (costs, forms, EVERYTHING).....go to this link: Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 136)

The link above is on DIMIA's (Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs) website. Whatever else you're looking for, go to www.immi.gov.au (the home page of DIMIA's website). Use the 'search' function to search for literally anything and everything. Browse this site a bit (as well as DIMIA's site) to get a bit of background regarding the ins and outs of the 136 visa.

You will need to do a bit of admin, but no worries, it's actually much more straightforward than it seems. I know it feels overwhelming at times, but, trust me, MANY people do their applications themselves (me included)...Australia makes everything so easy & simple with regard to application, that, in my personal experience, an agent is often unnecessary.

The most important thing to do NOW, TODAY, is to apply for your unabridged birth certificates (the whole family's), and your unabridged marriage certificate. The link above has all the info (browse the links on the opening page) regarding the rest of the info/docs you'll need to provide DIMIA with. I am mentioning birth- and marriage certificates now, as these can take up to three months in some cases!

Good luck with the exploring, and if you feel it's all getting a bit too much, just make a nice warm cup of tea, breathe deeply and remember YOU CAN DO IT! :thumbdown:

Liza :holy:

Edited by kangaroo

Liza ~ THANK YOU!! You have really made allot of sense, and cleared up a few question which I had!!

Another question, if we do not go for the 136 Visa, what is the cheapest way to get over to Aus? Which Visa whould we have to get, and then we would have to apply for PR over in Aus right??

Sorry, I have to ask, because I really dont know

:)

Hi Carolyn

You certainly do not need an agent unless you want to waste valuable money, you can simply phone the Australian Embassy in Pretoria and for a small fee they will forward you an immigration application pack which contains all the information, forms etc.

below is a quote from the Australian Government immigration site

["You do not need to use a migration agent to lodge any kind of visa application or asylum claim. Your application will not be decided any sooner if you use a migration agent and they cannot influence the outcome of your application."

However, if you do not feel confident in lodging an application, or if your case is complex, you may wish to use a migration agent to help you."

Incidently if you go to an agent they give you one of their own forms to fill in which asks for exactly the same info that the official application asks for and then transfer the info across for you, they ask for the same documentation and they hand it in on your behalf they do not have any advantage over you and do not get any favours, It is important to read the instructions properly for filling in the forms ie: if they say use a blue pen then use a blue pen etc.

also visit www.immi.gov.au you can download the forms find out best visa class and all kinds of usefull info there,

Good luck it is worth it.

best regards

Des

From another uninformed - does one need the unabridged birth certificates for a 457 as well??

Also do they have to be South African? (We have from Zim.)

Thanks

To TheB's

Jip - you will need unabridged birth certificates for your kids on a 457 application as well.

Cheers

Rialet

You Guys are Awesome!! THANKS!!!!

I have another question, my brother and his family are also in the process of going to Oz, but they are going through an Agent. He asked his Agent if we must get our Skilled Workers Visa and then look for a job in Oz, and her reply was that we will not be allowed to get the Visa, unless we have already found a job.

So basically we have to sit here in SA and search the net for a job. We then have to hope that the company will apply for a visa for us. They will receive a ref number from the Oz Gov, which will then have to go on the Visa App, as proof that we have a job waiting for us. Only then will they supply the Visa. Is this True???? I thought we could apply for the visa, go over to Oz, and then look for a job...

Ajay - My Huysband works for Telkom...

:blink:

You can only get the visa first if you have enough points - skilled independent 136 -look on the Oz immigation website if you qualify http://www.immi.gov.au/

If you dont have enough point you will have to get offer first...

Hi Carolyn

I suggest that you do visit Dimia's website (as most people have suggested as well) - you will get all the relevant information there - www.immi.gov.au - there has been a lot of changes to this website and it is really very users friendly

A far as my knowledge goes you have 2 basic options - General Skilled Migration (PR) on Subclass 136 (but as you know by now this can be a lengthy process) or through a Sponsorship on a 457 Visa (where you will need to get a job offer from an Australian Employer that is willing to sponsor the main applicant and his/her dependents for a period up to 4 years). The processing time is up to 8 weeks (worse case scenario) but it can take quite a while to secure an offer. The costs for the applicant is around $ 180 should you do this on your own but in most instances relocation and set up costs are for your account unless you can negotiate something. This is a temporary visa that allows you to enter and work in Australia. While on this visa you can start with your PR application (generally the subclass 136) which will cost you around $ 3000 should you do this without an agent. There are alternatives to this of which one is that your sponsor, should you be on a 457 Visa, can offer to sponsor your PR through the Employer Nomination Scheme after you have worked for the company at least 12 months - your costs on this will then be around $ 1900.

As mentioned above - all this as well as so many other questions you might have - are basically covered by the information on DIMIA's website.

Good luck

Rialet

You Guys are Awesome!! THANKS!!!!

I have another question, my brother and his family are also in the process of going to Oz, but they are going through an Agent. He asked his Agent if we must get our Skilled Workers Visa and then look for a job in Oz, and her reply was that we will not be allowed to get the Visa, unless we have already found a job.

So basically we have to sit here in SA and search the net for a job. We then have to hope that the company will apply for a visa for us. They will receive a ref number from the Oz Gov, which will then have to go on the Visa App, as proof that we have a job waiting for us. Only then will they supply the Visa. Is this True???? I thought we could apply for the visa, go over to Oz, and then look for a job...

Ajay - My Huysband works for Telkom...

:blink:

Hi Carolyn

Dont get confussed between visa classes, skilled visas require you to show that you are capable of finding a job thus the points and you arrive in Oz with Permant Residence and then look for a job, the sponsored visa you need a job and the company sponsors you, often sponsorshp means that they guarentee you a job and no more you still have to pay for your tickets move etc, however a few fortunate people have manged to get the company to move them across, if your Hubby works for Telkom I suggest you visit the Telstra web site www.telstra.com.au they have a careers section and contact details Telstra being the Oz equivalent of Telkom.

Good luck

Thank you again, so much for all the help and info!

When I first started with all this I was so confused, but things are deffinatly starting to make sense now. I will deffinatly be checking out the web add suggested by many of you. Thank you all again! Wish me luck!!!