Passports

jaxmvr

If everything works out we will be in Brisbane by the end of this year. I want to know that when they stamp our passports with the visa, what will happen if that passport expires (e.g my passport expires 2010) and can you apply for a new South African passport at the South African embassy in Australia?

Hi there

The only way to get a new SA Passport when in Auz is through the SA High Commission in Canberra. You phone them and they post the forms takes about 2 days. You need 4 photos and you take the forms to the police station and get fingerprints done and then sent it back to the HC and then they sent to SA. It can take up to 6 months.

Good Luck

Thank heavens. Even if it takes six months it still saves a trip back to South Africa. We will just have to apply early. In any case, I assume after you've got new passports you can just get the PR Stamp again. Is there any costs involved in this?

As far as I know there is no costs involved in getting the visa in your new passport.

I have applied for a new passport and will be waiting patiently. :lol: Wish I was in SA still, cause then it would take so much quicker.

can you believe, they charged us 190pounds to get the Perm Res visa in new passports in UK... GRRR :angry::o:blink:

In any case, I assume after you've got new passports you can just get the PR Stamp again. Is there any costs involved in this?

No need to get the visa in your new passport. Just carry the expired passport, that contains the visa, with your new one.

The evidencing could be done in your new passport, if you insist. It will cost you the same as the original evidencing.

Hi there

The only way to get a new SA Passport when in Auz is through the SA High Commission in Canberra. You phone them and they post the forms takes about 2 days. You need 4 photos and you take the forms to the police station and get fingerprints done and then sent it back to the HC and then they sent to SA. It can take up to 6 months.

Good Luck

The visa is a sticker. We have passports expiring soon but will be AU citizens by then. I will get a passport if I return to SA. You can get an emergency or temporary passport once you have applied fora new passport. See http://www.sahc.org.au/consular.htm. The web site says 4 months, but in dealing with them our retention of SA citzenship was supposed to take up to 9 months and it took 6 weeks.

Baie dankie vir al julle raad. Waardeer opreg. Dit stel my darem gerus dat ons nie hoef terug te kom vir so iets simpels nie.