Slow Cookers.........

EricaC

Hi guys, we invested in a slow cooker just after arriving here, we use it mainly in winter for stews etc........I always make sure that

I am at home when it is on....I do not mind popping out to the shops, 20 min or so, but has anyone left theirs on the whole day, say while

at work? I am a little scared to do that, I know that it is designed for just that........still the thought worries me... :whome:

Anyone had any bad experiences? God forbid, should something go wrong...wiring etc...does it switch off automatically?

Mmmm, need to check the batteries in the smoke detector :ilikeit:

Erica

Hi Erica,

I have used a slow cooker for years - here and in SA. I make all my soups and stews and curries in it. I happily turn it on in the morning and come home in the evening to an amazing smell in the home. I have never had a bad experience and my mom-in-law does it too without a problem. They are designed so that nothing can happen - I think they are really well insulated.

Good Luck,

S

Hi Erica,

I have used a slow cooker for years - here and in SA. I make all my soups and stews and curries in it. I happily turn it on in the morning and come home in the evening to an amazing smell in the home. I have never had a bad experience and my mom-in-law does it too without a problem. They are designed so that nothing can happen - I think they are really well insulated.

Good Luck,

S

Thanks S......taking the kids for a drive now...so will give it a go, as I have my beef stew simmering....ohh, boy! :ilikeit:

Erica

I must admit I was a bit nervous but the other day before work I popped my oxtail in and when I came home it was falling off the bone and was yum

so will definitely be doing that again.

Must admit I am so over salads and am craving good old winter nosh!! Bring on winter!!

Karen

I have started using mine to do my roast lamb. Just fry it in a pan to seal in the juices and pop it into the slow cooker for a couple of hours. Handy if you want to get the meat going before going to church and just come home and prepare the veggies for lunch. Never had a problem with mine for over 5 years now.

I use my slowcooker for lots of things... never had a prob leaving it on.... it ROCKS!!!

Wow, good to hear all positive stories........yip, my beef stew came out so YUMMY.......this will be a regular thing now.....Perth was overcast and gloomy today, so a hearty stew went down a treat!!!! And will save loads on electricity???? :ilikeit:

Erica

OK - somebody enlighten me about this slow cooker thing... how does it work and why do you use it?

LOL i use mine to save time... easy in, easy out..... lotsa recipes... have a look for some ideas....

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=...mp;publication=

Yoo hoo.....catz, cool. 18 000 recipes......woow! Roll on cold rainy nights....thanks for sharing that, those recipes look so yum! Not forgetting

a stunning bottle of Merlot to wash it all down :ilikeit: How I love winter! :wub:

Erica

I love my slow cooker but will always be paranoid about leaving it. I will never go out while its on, well I did once and nearly had a nervous breakdown :wub: and vowed never to do it again. Its awesome EricaC and what you should now invest in is a Rice Cooker, one of the best inventions ever (for me who could never get the rice cooked properly :ilikeit: ) I am not sure which of the 2 I love more.

Thanks Catz for the link to all the recipes, I am sure going to be busy.

I love my slow cooker but will always be paranoid about leaving it. I will never go out while its on, well I did once and nearly had a nervous breakdown :lol: and vowed never to do it again. Its awesome EricaC and what you should now invest in is a Rice Cooker, one of the best inventions ever (for me who could never get the rice cooked properly :ilikeit: ) I am not sure which of the 2 I love more.

Thanks Catz for the link to all the recipes, I am sure going to be busy.

Yip Briggs, you are like me......went for a drive yesterday whilst it was on........did not enjoy the drive at all, so sooooooo worried what I would come home to, will never do it again......WAY TOO NERVOUS!!! :wub: I am such a wuss! :lol:

Erica

Also have a look in the shops (where they have the packets of gravy's, potato bakes etc) for McCormick's range of Slowcooker meal bases. Its a packet of dry powder that you add to the slow cooker with all yr other ingredients and makes is so nice and easy... no wondering what to add... lol i love making lambshanks and chicken curry like that!!!!

Its awesome EricaC and what you should now invest in is a Rice Cooker, one of the best inventions ever (for me who could never get the rice cooked properly :ilikeit: ) I am not sure which of the 2 I love more.

My dad needs to eat rice every day, so, in the morning, my mom puts dry rice and some boiling water from the kettle in a small, 2cup flask, screws it shut and his rice is ready cooked when lunch comes around.

Also have a look in the shops (where they have the packets of gravy's, potato bakes etc) for McCormick's range of Slowcooker meal bases. Its a packet of dry powder that you add to the slow cooker with all yr other ingredients and makes is so nice and easy... no wondering what to add... lol i love making lambshanks and chicken curry like that!!!!

Yip catz, used one of the McCormick ranges last night in the beef stew, so tasty!! Anyone remember the Sunbeam thingies we had back home? Can kick

myself for not bringing mine to OZ. My mom still swears by the old fashioned pressure cooker........YIKES, NOW THAT'S SCARY......... :lol: with all

that hissing and all.......... :wub: still it made the most awesome stews.. :ilikeit:

Erica

I am using my MIL's slow cooker I brought over from SA - it's 30 years old and still going strong. I throw all the ingredients in, stick it on 'low' and come home 10 hours later to a fab meal. Never had a bad experience and never heard of one actually - anyone heard a 'I burnt my house down with my slow cooker' story??

T

I am using my MIL's slow cooker I brought over from SA - it's 30 years old and still going strong. I throw all the ingredients in, stick it on 'low' and come home 10 hours later to a fab meal. Never had a bad experience and never heard of one actually - anyone heard a 'I burnt my house down with my slow cooker' story??

T

:lol::lol::lol: .......I would really NOT want to hear any stories CTFamily.......if you don't mind :ilikeit: My slow cooker is a el cheapo.....$39.99 on sale....YIKESSSS.......cooks the most amazing meals....but safety issues....just not 100% sure :) Yip, my moms pressure cooker is as 'old as the hills' I remember her using it when I was in primary school.....and still going strong!!

Erica

I just want to move away from the slow cooker story a bit to pressure cookers. Has anybody ever used a pressure cooker on a gas stove? Probably a stupid question !!! :) But I only know of them being used on electric stoves. I have one but have been tooooo scared to use it, well its new and I have had it for 3yrs now and have never used it due to all the houses we've been in having gas stoves.

Scared :ilikeit: and dying to trying it out as I know how much easier they makes ones life.

Briggs

I just want to move away from the slow cooker story a bit to pressure cookers. Has anybody ever used a pressure cooker on a gas stove? Probably a stupid question !!! :lol: But I only know of them being used on electric stoves. I have one but have been tooooo scared to use it, well its new and I have had it for 3yrs now and have never used it due to all the houses we've been in having gas stoves.

Scared :) and dying to trying it out as I know how much easier they makes ones life.

Briggs

Hey Briggs! Aw, come on give it a try......... :ilikeit: Should I hear a BOOOOOOM in the distance......I shall take it for granted, it did not go so well :lol::lol:

Hmm, I wonder if it can be done.... :lol: Much advice needed here.... :lol:

Erica

Hey Briggs! Aw, come on give it a try......... :ilikeit: Should I hear a BOOOOOOM in the distance......I shall take it for granted, it did not go so well :lol::lol:

Hmm, I wonder if it can be done.... :lol: Much advice needed here.... :)

Erica

Ps.....Just asked my son what he thought (at 16, you tend to know everything!) He recons, pressure, gas and a naked flame...well, not a recipe for

stew or soup......but a nice helping of DISASTER!!!! :lol::lol::lol: ..........Teenagers.....what do they know.. :lol:

Erica

:ilikeit: Hmmmmm nice one Erica, will definitely be having a chat to you next Sunday !!!!

Very nervous to use it. I think i will give it a miss until I have an electric stove or just not use it.

:lol: Hmmmmm nice one Erica, will definitely be having a chat to you next Sunday !!!!

Very nervous to use it. I think i will give it a miss until I have an electric stove or just not use it.

Yip, briggs!! And chat, chat, chat.....we will...looking so forward to meeting you and Enrica, Mary, Gizmo, Yvonne, Kathy, Erika and all the gals

in Perth!!

Erica

Yip, briggs!! And chat, chat, chat.....we will...looking so forward to meeting you and Enrica, Mary, Gizmo, Yvonne, Kathy, Erika and all the gals

in Perth!! Sorry knew I forgot someone important.....Michele, sorry Mich, hope you will be there as well!!! :lol:

Erica

Archived