Maternity Benefits

australian

Hi there

Was just wondering if anyone had some advice for us.

We were hoping to have another child once we arrive in Australia (be easier than having one in SA and worrying about getting them Australian Citizenship). I have not been able to find out too much about maternity benefits.....do you get maternity leave, do companies pay you or is there a government subsidy...do they have to keep your job. I was also wondering how long you have to work for a company before you are entitled to maternity benefits.....I would ideally like to have another child in my first year there but need to make sure that financially we can afford it!!

I have managed to find out that the government pays you a once off subsidy when you have your first baby.

Also do Medicare cover your maternity scans, doc appointments and the babies birth??

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Robyn

Hi Robyn

Medicare covers just about everything, well at least abou 65% or something of the bill. Need to get some more clarity on that.

When baby is born you receive $4000 for free, and is non-taxable.

You get maternity leave, if you have worked for a company more than 12 months preceding the start of your maternity leave. This leave is unpaid. Some companies if you have worked for longer than 3 years, they pay you while on maternity leave.

Then you will also get family assistance benefits every two weeks.

Have a look at www.medicare.gov.au and www.familyassist.gov.au

Cheers

D

That's correct.

Robyn is a aussie citizen already, so she is entitled to it.

That's correct.

Robyn is a aussie citizen already, so she is entitled to it.

thanks girls

I will probably need to ensure that I have been with a company for at least a year before I go on maternity leave

I will go onto those sites and see what else I can find out

Did either of you have babies in Australia, what are the hospitals like?? I am sure it will beat the hospitals in SA where I had my other two babies!!