Farming in Australia

Springbok

Are there perhaps any farmers on this forum who went through the emigration process, or anyone who knows farmers in Australia? My brother (30) farms with fruit (plums, apricots, nectarines, wine) in the Western Cape and I'm trying to sell the idea of Australia to him, but it's a tough nut to crack. I told him he doesn't HAVE to buy a farm in Australia in order to make a living, as there will be many other opportunities for him in agriculture.

So I'd like to talk to someone who is in a similar position, so that I can give my brother the facts. He says it's going to be VERY difficult for him to start a new life in Australia as a farmer. The problem is that he looks at my dad who built up a fruit farm from nothing over 45 years, so that he (my brother) now has an established farm. But if he emigrates to Australia, he thinks he will have a tremendous disadvantage having to start from scratch again under different farming conditions in a new country. Well, between himself and my parents, using their offshore allowances (3x R2 million) + travel allowances over the next 2 years (3x R160,000 x 2years) while waiting for visas + households export (2x R1 million), between the 3 of them they should be able to take out about R9 million to Australia, which is more than A$1.5 million. Now surely he can give himself (+my parents) a VERY good start with that?

I think he better sell his farm while he can still get a decent price for it - COSATU has already made noises about land claims in Hout Bay near Cape Town (see Spotlight on W.Cape Land Grab Issue), so how long before their focus shift to farms?

I'm listening...

Thanks!

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Charl, realestate.com.au has a "rural" section (Click on the State he is interested in first, and then the 'Rural' tab at the left of the window). In there are a lot of farms for sale.

I had a look in South Australia and there are various vineyards, olive groves and fruit farms for sale (22 in total) from around $500k up, often including a decent-looking house. Remember there is a water shortage, so that might be why there are some 'bargains' around, but as experienced as he is, he will know to ask the sellers/vendors the right questions.

With that kind of money I'm sure he will have some very 'Happy shopping'. :)

Tell him the agents are notoriously bad and never get back to you on any properties you enquire about, he mustn't let it put him off.

:D

Bronwyn