Widget: Running like crazy!

Widget

Hi all,

My wife got a offer for work in Melbourne, they want her to start at the beginning of April. It is a total madhouse here, because I am still looking for work, and the baby, Kayla (4), is frantically learning english. Wat my herinner, hierdie is nie 'n werk e-mail nie, so ek kan maar afrikaans ook skryf.

Soos julle kan imagine, dit is redelik chaos op die stadium en ons probeer ons beplanning reg kry, nie dat ek seker is waar om te begin nie, maar ja. Enige iemand met goeie idees en voorstelle is welkom om te laat weet, maar glo my die vrae sal kom ook.

Groete,

Nico

Guest Bronwyn

Nico - just try to relax! Riekie has a list of things to do before you go pinned at the top of the General section. We used that and it helped a lot. You must just make a long list, and cross the things off one by one. April is still a long time, you will be fine.

Don't stress the little one out with learning Engish, she will be fluent in a few weeks in Melbourne anyway, I think!

Did you investigate buying your tickets through IOM? There is also a link to that pinned. They are a lot cheaper and you get a double luggage allowance of 40Kgs.

You can type any keywords in the 'Search keywords' function to see previous conversations about topics. This will help you a lot without re-inventing the wheel.

You are in for a great rollercoater ride. :)B):D

Bronwyn

Hi Widget

If there is anything we can do to make life easier for you on this side, then please do not hesitate to shout, loud and clear!

Thanks all, it already feels better just seeing the replies. I think my biggest worry is my daughter, as we do not know how the school system works. When she must go, what to do untill she goes, costs, etc....and then work for myself. The company that my wife is gonna work for will sponsor my visa but I still need to find something. I am however realy looking forward to the move and more conversations with all of you!!

Cheers,

Nico

P.S. She is 4yr old!

Edited by Widget

Widget, don't worry about your daughter. By the time she goes to "big school" she'll be OK with her English - you'll be amazed how quickly they pick up the language!! Really!! :thumbdown: (And even if she does still struggle by the time she goes to school, they have English Language assistance in all schools for kids from a non-English speaking background. When my brother's little one went to daycare he could not speak 2 words in English and they provided an Afrikaans speaking "interpreter" for him for quite some time (at no cost to the parents! :whome: )

For the rest of it, take one thing at a time. Prepare yourself well (use my list or make your own) and plan your days to allow enough time to get everything done in time. Don't allow yourself to get stressed out because it all works out in good time. When things get too much, take a time out (go see a movie, order in pizza and watch a DVD, or just go visit a friend for a beer). 90% Of the things you worry about will not happen, so leave the worries for when it does..... Hang in there!! :(

Hi Widget,

As everyone has said so far, don't stress too much!!! Everything will work it's self out. I packed up everything, rented out the house, sold the cars, etc... in 2 months. Yes, it was a bit of a rush, but everyone helped out and things went fine. If you are not going to be working when you arrive that's actually a good thing! This will give you all a little time to adjust and get to know the area. Your daughter will adjust just fine :blink: My daughter started speaking english here (although she did have some lessons before we left) and now she sounds like an Aussie! I think the adjustment will be worse for you than her. Try and make friends as soon as possible, this really helps settling in.

What work are you looking for? There is so much available here, you don't even have to do what you are qualified for....

Hou asseblief afrikaans in julle lewe! Ons geniet dit verskriklik om saam te kuier in ons eie taal..

Hi Widget,

As everyone has said so far, don't stress too much!!! Everything will work it's self out. I packed up everything, rented out the house, sold the cars, etc... in 2 months. Yes, it was a bit of a rush, but everyone helped out and things went fine. If you are not going to be working when you arrive that's actually a good thing! This will give you all a little time to adjust and get to know the area. Your daughter will adjust just fine :rolleyes: My daughter started speaking english here (although she did have some lessons before we left) and now she sounds like an Aussie! I think the adjustment will be worse for you than her. Try and make friends as soon as possible, this really helps settling in.

What work are you looking for? There is so much available here, you don't even have to do what you are qualified for....

Hou asseblief afrikaans in julle lewe! Ons geniet dit verskriklik om saam te kuier in ons eie taal..

Thx! Ons maak lysies, praat afrikaans en engels deurmekaar, maar ons gaan. Sal rus as ons daar is!!

Hi Widget!

Toemaar, ek het 'n werk gekry in Sydney net voor Kersfees, en ek moet April oor gaan. My man join ons in Mei. Ek het net so baie om te doen, maar one thing at a time <_<

Sterkte!

Groete

Liezel