Sydney IT job market

Michele R

Hi.

We've been on quite an emotional roller coaster ride. We made the move in January to Perth, only to find ourselves still without work and desperately seeking some stability in our lives. Hubby's spent the last year doing his MBA, but worked as a .Net developer before that, and doesn't mind going back to that for a while.

It breaks my heart to see him so down and I think we've now run out of options here. We do have some interviews next week, but have been to one or two, and people don't seem to be in any particular rush here to hire you.

So I was wondering in anyone could give me any kind of feedback with regard to what the job market in Sydney is like in IT. I know there are a few IT jobs in Melbourne, but as you can imagine, our financial resources are running low. Hubby has some family who might put us up for a short while. I would hate to go back to SA, as we moved everything here in the hopes of starting a new life for us. We have PR and hubby has great skills, just not sure what the problem is.

Guess I'm just feeling moedeloos. :blush:

Thanks in advance!

IMO Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne give the best options for IT jobs. I have had a few colleagues move from SA and we are spread across these three cities (SAP skills).

I see forum member Martyn said his company was hiring again and he mentioned .Net developers. The website he mentioned was http://www.dialogcareers.com/southafrica

Holding thumbs for you. It took my DH about 10 weeks to secure employment (Enterprise Architect) but he's now on contract with CBA. The banks here have a lengthy hire cycle, even for contractors.

I would seriously consider Melbourne. As you probably have seen from websites like www.seek.com.au there are plenty of IT jobs in Melbourne.

Maybe your husband should consider applying for whole bunch online and should they require him in person for an interview he could just fly-out for day or two depending on the amount of interview he has.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

Michelle, Don't give. I know you are a bit moedeloos, but something will turn up.

I have been applying for jobs for 2 years, even during this economic crisis. Only after I got to Sydney on my own steam did they glance my way. At this point I became stubborn and refused to take permanent employment when it got offered. I'll be contracting.

Keep on applying for jobs on SEEK, jobserve, Jobspeed, Careerone and elsewhere. Sydney recruitment agents IMHO are notorious for not replying, until the day come they need someone with your skills.

Not sure whether this will be relevant or helpful AT all, but a good friend of ours is an IT Project Manager in Melbourne, and he mentioned the other day that, apart from a VERY small number of South Africans that he's met over the years, he and the other Aussies at work cannot stand South Africans, as they are arrogant and full of themselves. I have to add that he is not a judgemental type of person at all, and that he went out of his way to be friendly and accommodating towards us when we met them, even though he knew from the word go that we are from South African. So for him to say something like that is an eye-opener and made me realise that there is perhaps more to this than we realise or want to believe?

I have now heard this too often for comfort over the last 4 months of being here, and my hubby also finds that Aussies are still very off'ish towards him in the work environment (not colleagues, but corporate customers that he has to deal with on almost a daily basis), even though he is very far from arrogant, and very aware of the fact that he has that 'legacy' to contend with.

So naturally I guess some companies would steer clear from employing South Africans, except when it is very clear in the interview situation that you are not one of 'those'. To those of you who have been through this process, am I right to then suggest that one should go to your interview with this in mind, and to not appear too confident, as that could be seen as arrogance?

Hi Michele,

Your husband might have better luck in Sydney than Perth. There seem to be quite a few computer/IT jobs advertised in various industries around here. My husband is a software developer, and didn't have too much trouble finding work when we arrived.

It seems (for the most part) that many companies prefer to go through contracting companies to find employees for them, rather than hire themselves. As others have suggested, Seek.com.au is one of the best job search websites, and there are plenty of computer-related jobs to be found on there.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks for all the great replies!

I think the biggest problem is because he spent the last year before we came over studying. But we both had interviews today and they seemed to have gone well. Will have to wait and see, but it does wonders for your self esteem!

Think we might eventually end up in Melbourne or Sydney whether we go now or in a year or two's time. Think there will just be better opportunities for him, and for me. I worked as a copywriter before, and there are quite a few opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney for me, but not here. Guess we'll see what the end of the week brings.

NotLookingBack - I've also heard that some people here see South Africans as arrogant. But then again, some people see South Africans as hard working, so guess it depends who you talk to.

Thanks again for all the great advice, I will not give up. We've worked way too hard to get here to just give up! Think I was just at a really low point over the weekend. Hopefully things are looking up!

I am technically fairly new in the OZ job market, but all I can say, there are Saffers here that I makes my blood boil. I'm so ashamed to be associated by heritage to them and I'm forever profusely trying to explain that not all Saffers have these qualities. I have honestly not even seen people back in SA behaving so badly.

Hi Michele,

Don't be despondent - hopefully something will come through for you guys.

I can attest to the fact that there's definitely more IT opportunities in Melbourne than in Perth. Case in point, myself: I arrived here in November last year and landed a job within 2 days. It was a contracting position for 4 months. Coming to the end of the contract it just so happened that an employment agency was looking for someone with my skills and got a hold of me via LinkedIn. I had a telephonic interview with their client and a face-to-face 1 hour interview the next day and got offered the job 15 minutes later - I've been in this new job now since 15 March.

You can try the agency I'm working through, Diversiti (www.diversiti.com.au) or http://www.smsmt.com. Both seem to have quite a few .Net positions available. Most of the jobs are in Melbourne though.

Good luck

Archived