Nadine

n/a

Hi everyone

I have been "browsing" the site for a while, but thought that it was time to register since we are FINALLY getting the ball rolling.

First up: Thanks to everybody contributing their valuable information on this site. I am convinced that you make it a much easier process for a lot of people.

We have 1 son (18 months old) and absolutely no family in Oz. We have a few friends over there though. We are thinking of settling (eventually) in Melbourne.

Would anybody be able to offer some advice? I am a Java developer with 6 years experience, but no degree (just a few industry certs). I am busy completing the ACS Diploma in IT, and plan to finish in June. My problem, is that I am reaching 30 SOON, and think that the 5 extra points might be useful. I also don't know what effect the changes in June will have on my application. So I am contemplating whether I should TRY for a skills assessment before completing the Diploma, and risk the money (not sure if there's any other risks), or just hang tight and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Thanks again!!

Hi Nadine

Welcome to the forum

All the best and Enjoy

Regards

S

Hi Nadine,

DO YOUR ASSESSMENT - even if jou apply offshore or onshore - it is one of the criterias to do your assessment. No need to have a dimploma or degree. I did my RPL / Assessment @ ACS (Australian Computer Society) and they approved AND nominated me a Systems qualification. I had 8 years of skills only. No certificate / diploma / degree whatsover.

I can e-mail you all the correct forms and I am willing to mail you my detailed skills assessment in order to "speed up" your process.

You are welcome to pm me with your details if you are interested.

More importantly - GOOD LUCK AND GROW ALOT OF PATIENCE !!!!

E

Welcome Nadine.

There are a lot of us in the same boat. No family in Oz etc but you will be the first and be there for the rest of your family. As for being a Java developer, I think you will have no problem as there is a shortage of Java people

Hi Nadine

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the bearer of bad news; I don't think you'll be able to apply for your visa before June. Even if you could apply for your ACS assessment today, the ACS process normally takes 3 months to complete, (that already puts you in June), and unless you can get an employer to sponsor you there is no way to get a visa without a valid skills assessment.

With only 6 years experience you won't be able to do RPL like 2J AND 2E did, for that you need 8 years. Once you've finished your ACS diploma, would that qualify you to apply with only 6 years experience?

That was my concern as well. Although you only have to lodge before your 30th birthday, it doesn't have to be approved before (as far as I know).

Yes, the Diploma is equivalent to a 2 year Australian diploma.

You're correct, they take your age at the time you lodge, not when it is processed.

Hi Nadine,

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the Visa and the visa application.

unless you can get an employer to sponsor you

Does that mean that you don't have to get a skills assessment when you get sponsered by an employer?

Does that mean that you don't have to get a skills assessment when you get sponsered by an employer?

You don't need one for a 457 visa, but if you arrive on a 457 and you then decide to go for PR you'd need to do a skills assessment before you can apply for PR.

or you can work for the employer for 2 years on a 457 and then you don't need skills assessment.

Archived