Shop with South African goods moving

Annette

Hi everyone. I visited the Ceylon Spices shop in the Central Market yesterday to get my mothly supply of Iwisa and was surprised to see how hugely their range of South African goods has grown. We usually just get mealie meal, chutney and fizz pops or Fanta Grape for the kids, but this guy now has everything your heart can desire, including droëwors and a wide range of spices and sauces as well as the mayonnaise that everyone is always looking for (sorry, forgot the name). They even have Ajax! :ilikeit:

Very very friendly and helpful people, but the shopkeeper told me he's moving because of the high rent in the market. The new address, as from February, will be:

Shop 10, 529 North East Road, Gilles Plains.

Unfortunately much too far for me :ilikeit:

They also have a branch of Ceylon spice in Sudholtz road opposite Holden Hill Police station. They have a fair bit of stuff there, including Cross and Blackwell mayo ( I think that is the name that escaped you ), simba chips, jams, spices, ouma rusks etc etc .Luckily it is only 10 minutes up the road for me :ilikeit:

Ag nee man, kan hulle nie nou maar een vir ons in die Suide ook oopmaak nie? :lol:

Yes, I heard ceylon spices were closing their shop, did not realise they were moving else where. I have previously ordered from an online shop in Adelaide and the goods were delivered to me.

Coles stock Mrs H Balls Chutney, Colmans Mustard and a product called Our Mate (Marmite). When you see Our Mate at Coles, you will notice that it is packaged exactly the same as the Marmite jar, just the name is different, its made in the UK by the same people the only difference is that they use Australian products, thats your good Mamite equivalent, they are obviously not allowed to market the product as Marmite here, it tastes like Marmite just the colour is slightly lighter I would say.

For the real Bisto Gravy Granules, go to Woolworths, they sell gravy granules called Oh! So Gravy and not Aah! so Bisto, same product, if you read the label, you will see that its manufactured by Bisto UK using australian products. They don't have the Gravy Powder though only the gravy granules.

For good mayonnaise, I have an excellent recipe that will cost you about $2- to make. Which I will post on the site, its quick and easy, no fuss takes you 5 mins to make.

Hope that helps

Hi Bubbly,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, none of the Coles's I go to have Mrs Balls. The only one I've seen it in around these parts is the one at Castle Plaza, which I never go to because I avoid South Road like a horrible disease :blink: and more often than not, it's sold out.

Marmite and gravy granules - no thank you, :angry: but thanks for the thought. :o

Hi Bubbly,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, none of the Coles's I go to have Mrs Balls. The only one I've seen it in around these parts is the one at Castle Plaza, which I never go to because I avoid South Road like a horrible disease :blink: and more often than not, it's sold out.

Marmite and gravy granules - no thank you, :angry: but thanks for the thought. :o

Coles on Diagonal Rd, stocks Mrs H Balls and Liquorice Allsorts, IGA stocks fizzers

• 4 weeks later...

Its a pity about Ceylon Shop moving out of central market.

We drove to their Shop in Holden Hill yesterday. Its a bit of a drive from Aberfoyle and I would suggest that one phone them before you drive too long a distance.

The Coles in Aberfoyle Park (The Hub Shoping Centre) also stocks Mrs Balls. The Butcher from Barrossa Store in central marker stocks biltong and dry wors as well biltong. Barrossa Store also stocks boerewors, which IMHO is not very good, but may be only my taste.

However, there is a Butcher (Brians Gourmet Meats) in 94 B, Jetty Road, in Glenelg that makes quite good boerewors. Once again, it may be good idea to phone first (Tel 8295 4607) to make sure he is in stock before you drive a long distance only to be disappointed. We usually phone in the middle of the week to place an order for Saturday. Brian also stock some south African Stuff like Mrs Balls, some Robinsons Spices, Aromat etc., but not on a large scale. :D

Maybe its time that we Saffers living in th esouth approach a designated butcher and ask that he/she makes boerewors, (we can hammer a recipe together that hopefully will satisfy all or most) give him a recipe and hopefully what at the moment is happening for Saffers near Glenelg could happen for Saffers in the Aberfoyle to Seaford Area as well. I mean, to drive from Aberfoyle to Glenelg for boerewors is OK-ish with me, but what about Saffers living in Christies or Noarlunga or even Aldinga? :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Dax

Hey Dax,

The butcher in Aldgate makes good boerewors, but a bit too garlicky. He also makes very good biltong, but you have to order it long in advance. He makes droewors from his boerewors, but he doesn't quite get that they have to be thinner, so they end up being very fat and juicy ;) . I don't personally like the droewors from Barossa fine foods. Too oily... Did you know they have a small stall in Marion centre just in front of Woolies. Brian makes very good boerewors, I agree.

The Blackwood butchers are very good. I bought some sausage from them yesterday and actually thought I should try and get them to make me some boerewors. I'll go over next weekend and speak to them and see what they say. :D

The best boerewors I've had so far in Adelaide was from our Kerkbasaar. It's an Italian butcher somewhere in Rostrevor I think, or thereabouts, that makes it. :ilikeit:

Can one get "Pecks" Anchovette paste there? :D

Hi Bubbly,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, none of the Coles's I go to have Mrs Balls. The only one I've seen it in around these parts is the one at Castle Plaza, which I never go to because I avoid South Road like a horrible disease :ilikeit: and more often than not, it's sold out.

Marmite and gravy granules - no thank you, ;) but thanks for the thought. :lol:

As you guys know, Heidi, my youngest daughter, went to South Africa over Christmas / New Year for 3 or 4 weeks.

She came back and mentioned the rusks in South Africa.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on South African rusks that she's on about, and mail them to her in Newcastle, N.S.W.

I'm starting to miss her already and a treat from home wouldn't go astray, I shouldn't think.

Thanks.

Bob,

I am alsmost 100% sure she is talking about Ouma Beskuit or Ouma Rusks.( good stuff I might add ! ) I think you may find some at the Ceylon spice shop in Sudholz road oopposite Holden Hill Police station. I will have a look overe the weekend as I live close to it.

Thank you.

Heidi did mention that they were quite different from anything in Australia she'd had, and liked them a lot.

Mailing her a box of rusks along with a few other goodies from Adelaide might be a treat for her.

Bob,

I have just been at the Ceylon Sprice shop in Sudholz road opposite the Holden Hill Police station. They indeed have Ouma Rusks, Buttermilk and Condensed Milk flavours for $ 5.80 per box. I think that is what your daughter is after as this is a very popular brand of rusk in South Africa ( because its goooood).

For other's info they also have Mrs Balls Chutney, All Gold Tomato sauce, Lucky Star tinned fish, Aromat and other Robinson spices, Mieliepap, Atchar, Cross and Blacwell Mayo, Horlicks, Marmite, Pecks Anchovette Fishpaste, Koo Jams, Pronutro, Matlabella, Jungle Oats, Steers sauces, Tennis Biscuits, Eat-some-more biscuits, Grapetiser, Appletiser, Simba Ships, Chappies, Droe Wors ( never tried it ) and a few other items I cannot recall now ( maybe the memory problems have something to do with the good South Aussie Wolf Blas wine I had last evening :hug: ).

As you guys know, Heidi, my youngest daughter, went to South Africa over Christmas / New Year for 3 or 4 weeks.

She came back and mentioned the rusks in South Africa.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on South African rusks that she's on about, and mail them to her in Newcastle, N.S.W.

I'm starting to miss her already and a treat from home wouldn't go astray, I shouldn't think.

Thanks.

Hi Bob

Make sure you get yourself a box too..... you won't be sorry. Then sit back, relax and dunk your rusk into steaming hot tea or coffee. Yum! :hug:

;)

Indeed, that the way to eat a "Ouma" :hug:

Hi everybody ;)

Just wondering, went onto the www.satooz.com site to see what's available. Are they a lot more expensive then the 'walk-in' stores that you've mentioned?

Stephnie

Thank you.

Heidi did mention that they were quite different from anything in Australia she'd had, and liked them a lot.

Mailing her a box of rusks along with a few other goodies from Adelaide might be a treat for her.

Hi Bob

Might be yesterday's news, but if you look on www.satooz.com, they also sell Ouma rusks, and they'll deliver them to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Stephnie, some (most) of the the things are cheaper on the website, except droëwors, which is a lot cheaper at Cealon Spices.

BTW - you probably already know this, but did you know that Tasmania was once called "Van Diemen's Land" :ilikeit::whome:

Stephnie, some (most) of the the things are cheaper on the website, except droëwors, which is a lot cheaper at Cealon Spices.

BTW - you probably already know this, but did you know that Tasmania was once called "Van Diemen's Land" :blink:;)

Hi there :P

I find that quite interesting, thought it would rather be the other way around. So you learn every day :blink:

It's quite ironic, my boss started calling me Miss Australia after he started working at the company about two years ago, and that was the first I ever heard of it. This was before the thought of moving to Oz even crossed our minds. (Hmmm, wonder if that's where it all started... :o ) In the mean time we've read up on it, and it's quite an interesting story. Must be a sign... :wacko::P

Take care! :D