De facto relationship - proof?

Tim & Abby

Hi there

Perhaps one of the forumites can help me: Tim and I need to prove that we're in a de facto relationship. We've got together photos, joint rental contracts, bills to the same address and we'll do personal accounts of the relationship.

However, do we also need to get statements from friends and family? If so, do they need to be affidavits (i.e. declared and signed in front of a Justice of the Peace or similar)?

Thanks for your help with this!

Abby (& Tim)

hi Abby

Also search these forums...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/index.php

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

lots of info there

Bianca

Hi Abby (&Tim)

We also submitted things like: joint insurance, insured driver for each other's cars, wills listing each other as beneficiaries. Also we are on the same medical aid policy, details of which I also included. We arranged for three stat decs from family in Australia, I was told not to bother with SA stat decs as these would "bear little weight".

So far I have not had any queries regarding our relationship, but we have only recently had a CO allocated, so maybe that's still to come! Hope not, but will let you know if any further proof is requested.

Cindy

Hi Abby,

You should include at least 2 statutory declarations from friends, relatives or work mates. They should state:

- how long they have known you both

- how long you (the couple) have known each other and how long you have lived together and

- how you (the couple) share family responsibilities and/or social and other activities.

Examples of other documents that may prove useful are: copies of utilities accounts in both names, copies of personal or official correspondence sent to you both at the same address (include personal cards, letters, emails etc.) Really, the more evidence, the more straightforward your application should be.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0638808

Gold Coast, Australia

A big thanks for your help, everyone.

A question about statutory declarations, though. I read that they are like affidavits, but they have to be witnessed by an Australian equivalent to a Justice of the Peace-type person (for instance, some Australian consulate employees may witness statutory declarations).

Is an affidavit witnessed by the SA equivalent not acceptable in place of a statutory declaration? If not, I'm based in Cape Town – does anyone know of an Australian person who can witness statutory declarations here? (I'm guessing that they have to be witnessed in person, like affidavits do.)

Thanks again, everybody!

Abby (& Tim)