Victim of crime whilst holidaying in SA

Veronique

My sons friend has just returned from a holiday in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Whilst driving through Honeydew him and his mom were surrounded by thugs wielding guns and knives who took whatever they could.

It has been several years since he went back for a visit and he was so looking forward to the trip. This one incident has left a bittersweet taste.

He says South Africa is so much worse than Zimbabwe.

I'm glad they're OK and it is very unfortunate that this happened...

I haven't been back - for this very reason. Why would you go through all the trauma and effort to move countries, to go back for a visit and possibly fall victim to crime? What if you get killed? All would have been in vain... :ilikeit:

I don't blame anyone for going back to visit - by no means! But I will not ever go back for any reason - a personal decision for which a lot of blame and guilt is placed on me. We only have one life, and this is mine...

To everyone going back to visit - take care and be safe!

We have been back 3 times (2007, 2008, 2009). The first two holidays were great, but it was also not hard to leave again. In June 2009 when we went back, we had 2 incidences of crime. After that, we then cancelled our tickets to go again in Dec 2009. Honestly speaking the children and I am TOO scared to go back again for a holiday. Sad, because Mom asks each time when we will be visiting. When Hubby had to go in Feb 2010 I could not sleep as I was so so worried about him.

How very sad that one has to feel like this about your birth country!!!

I left South Africa almost 14 years ago now.

I've never had any desire to go back. I did return for a week in 2003 when my aunt was very ill. The changes that had happened in that time were such that it confirmed to me that I never wanted to return.

I worry about my brother and his family in South Africa and wish they would move. Unfortunately Australia has turned down thier application, but they are UK citizens.

I suspect that I will only ever return to South Africa for the funerals of any of my good friends that have the misfortune of passing away before me.

Archived