Subclass 101 Child Visa

Hello,

I was hoping someone would know what this visa is all about. I have been looking at the DIMA website, but it is just confusing me.

Our case officer has advised me that if our application for our subclass 856 visa is granted before my baby is born, then we will have to apply for a sub 101 child visa once the baby is born??

I am really confused now.... help please!!!

Caro

Hello,

I was hoping someone would know what this visa is all about. I have been looking at the DIMA website, but it is just confusing me.

Our case officer has advised me that if our application for our subclass 856 visa is granted before my baby is born, then we will have to apply for a sub 101 child visa once the baby is born??

Hi Caro

Your 856 does not cover your unborn baby. Thus a 101 application has to be done if your 856 is approved before the baby is born. In that event it will set you back another +/- A$1000 in application fees! It is all about timing. Can you somehow stall your 856 process by delayed submission of docs for example?

Have a look at this link courtesy of BE for a bit more info.

Hi Caro

Your 856 does not cover your unborn baby. Thus a 101 application has to be done if your 856 is approved before the baby is born. In that event it will set you back another +/- A$1000 in application fees! It is all about timing. Can you somehow stall your 856 process by delayed submission of docs for example?

Have a look at this link courtesy of BE for a bit more info.

Like i said, i am utterly confused. As we are currently in Aus and the baby will be born here too. Ie surely if the baby is born after the PR is granted, he/she should be seen as Aussie???

Now im really lost.... cos on the link above one of the postings says summing to that effect....

surely if the baby is born after the PR is granted, he/she should be seen as Aussie???

:) I also thought so...thought baby is citizen then :D

luckily then that Kiana was born befor we got PR!

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

:holy: I also thought so...thought baby is citizen then ;)

luckily then that Kiana was born befor we got PR!

Lindy-Lee

;)

Ja nee, lyk my dit was beter so... ek glo nie myne gaan voor die PR hier wees nie.... al ons goed is in vir ons aansoek... en ons case officer het selfs gese ons kan dalk my vorige xray gebruik vir die medical... ag wat dis seker maar nogsteeds n klein prys om te betaal om die baba veilig hier te he.... sal maar sien wat sy te se het.... hou maar duime vas!!

surely if the baby is born after the PR is granted, he/she should be seen as Aussie???

(Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you are currently present in Australia and the baby will be born there.)

Looks like you're right - judging by this link courtesy of Peter Chiam.

Edited by JJV

(Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you are currently present in Australia and the baby will be born there.)

Looks like you're right - judging by this link courtesy of Peter Chiam.

Thanks for the reply JJV... why would our case officer say that we might have to apply for a child visa then??? Hmmm now i wonder if she is confused maybe too....

Confused Caro

Oooookkkkkkk confusion finally sorted out.

After i phoned DIMA's helpline, i emailed our case officer querying the fact that why she would want us to apply for a child visa if my baby was going to be born in Aus and probably only after the visa was granted....

Lol she admitted that she has never had a situation like this to deal with, but a colleague of her did and the client of the colleague was offshore... hence she didnt even think about it twice when the colleague said we will need to apply for a 101.

Thanks to the forum, i could tell her that it wasnt necessary, which she eventually confirmed....even called me directly to confirm this!!

Wooooooohooooo guys, thanks for all the help!!

Caro

Edited by catz

if my baby was going to be born in Aus and probably only after the visa was granted....

Hi Caro

Now it seems more appropriate to expedite the visa grant or alternatively .. delay the birth :(

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reply JJV... why would our case officer say that we might have to apply for a child visa then??? Hmmm now i wonder if she is confused maybe too....

Confused Caro

Caro

The link to my FAQ has already answered your question (which also attracted me to this forum).

The only thing I'll add is that case officers may not actually be professionaly qualified to give immigration advice on matters that they don't routinely deal with. In your case, your case officer is obviously not well versed in Australian citizenship laws - hence the incorrect advice initially.

Peter