Adelaide LSD

HansaPlease

Howdy folks,

Going to Adelaide for a long weekend tomorrow. We tend to go a couple of times a year to visit family, but this time it’s with a different mindset. We’ve talked about the possibility of moving there, so this is unofficially going to be a bit of an LSD trip for what could be a potential future move – no plans yet, just looking...

We’re checking out potential suburbs - sort of middle of the road suburbs that are not too pricey, but not a dump. Based on what we've read on the forums, and what I've seen in property prices, I'm planning a drive around the Happy Valley, Trott Park, O’ Halloran Hill, Hallett Cove area in the South, and then maybe Modbury and Campbelltown (only from what we’ve heard on the forum) areas in the North. Maybe a some areas up in the Hills as well..

Why are Modbury and Campbelltown so affordable when they’re so close to the city (well, close-ish – anything else that close is expensive) – what’s the catch? Or are they dumps? I’ve heard good things about both.

Can anybody recommend any other areas to look at that are within a 45 minute (or so) commute to the city?

Any other tips on what to consider?

Thanks in advance. :)

Don't know ADL (apart from visiting), but heard a few times that South is better - and then there's the Hills too. Maybe check out the suburb profiles on Real Estate Website (such as Domain & Realestate etc) - that's usually a good indication. You could also request more elaborate reports from RP data (you can order & print these online for a small fee).

Just released, Adelaide's most liveable suburbs:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/adelaid...c-1225734479123

Good luck with the LSD & the big move (if you decide to go)!

Thanks Riekie,

I take the Real Estate Suburb profiles with a big pinch of salt because a suburb can be given a 90% rating or a 35% rating with just one or two votes. The reviews are usually funny though - with RE agents giving any suburb a shining reference, regardless.

Thanks for the Liveable suburbs link, that's great!

Most Livable Suburbs Adelaide

The above link has all the videos and interviews plus comments on the most liveable suburbs.

Hansa, Modbury is a great suburb and large enough to have a range of different pockets, some of which are higher spec than others. O Halloran Hill and Campbelltown are both suburbs which I would label as "buyer beware" but with a lot of potential. I would invest there if I had money because they will be good suburbs in a few years' time, but you will have to have a good drive around to see whether it suits you. Some streets are better than others and some will have a total mixture of grotty, refurbished and brand new. On the up, but not quite there yet. Great choices if you can afford to be patient. Hallet Cove is huge and has something for everyone. It is very well designed in my opinion and near the sea although the beach is just for looking as it is all pebbles. Trott Park is also in the same mode as Hallet Cove. Houses are quite modest but well kept with some big ones as well, but watch out for noise from the Southern Expressway.

Also look at Blackwood and surrounds. I see Glenalta is the most livable suburb. I can see why. It is simply lovely, but you won't like it if you don't like trees or winding roads and cold winters. Coromandel Valley, Hawthorndene, Blackwood and Bellevue Heights are all great and very affordable. Flagstaff Hill is definitely worth a look, as is Happy Valley and Aberfoyle Park, but watch for "dodgy" streets in those suburbs. They are usually obvious. I also like Rostrevor. All the suburbs you mentioned except Campbelltown are just just within the 45 min limit in peak hour if the traffic is flowing well. We are in Bellevue Heights and it takes me 40 min to get to work in the city at 7:20 in the morning. Much longer after 8am. North can be even worse as North East, Payneham and Main North roads are ridiculously congested at almost any time of the day, but ridiculous at peak hour.

My best advice would be to drive drive drive around as much as possible. You will be surprised at what may leap out at you and say "This is where I should live"!

Good luck. I have every sympathy. I am currently looking for somewhere to move to after our landlord decided to sell our house and it is an absolute nightmare <_<

Wow Annette that says it all! Why would you pay PR data if you can get it for free in so much detail - from the horse's mouth?! <_< (I know who I'll call if I ever want to move to ADL... :blush: )

A drive up in the Adelaide Hills may be a point you'd like to consider.

Bridgewater, Aldgate, Stirling are delightful, especially in autumn.

Further out is Mount Barker, yet still only 30 minutes' drive from the city centre of Adelaide.

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

It is the fastest growing town in South Australia . . . . . for good reason!

I was gobsmacked to hear from a South African lady living in Mt Barker that there were 30 + Sth African families living there . . . . a growing town with only 12 000 people!

There is a great walk around the Laratinga Wetlands,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickr...57622995302241/

visit Cornerstone College for your kids

http://www.cornerstone.sa.edu.au/

and just stroll around the town looking at its stores, tea shops and restaurants

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies folks, we went and had a look this weekend.

We looked at The Hallett Cove, Trott Park, Happy Valley, Aberfoyle Park area, some were nicer than others, all in all, not bad, but perhaps a bit too far out of the city for us.

Yesterday we went to Athelstone, Paradise, Highbury, etc, and this is the area we really liked, so we’ll start watching house prices there.

Still want to go and look at a few other areas, including Mt Barker and the Hills, as Bob mentioned above – this weekend just went too quickly.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies folks, we went and had a look this weekend.

We looked at The Hallett Cove, Trott Park, Happy Valley, Aberfoyle Park area, some were nicer than others, all in all, not bad, but perhaps a bit too far out of the city for us.

Yesterday we went to Athelstone, Paradise, Highbury, etc, and this is the area we really liked, so we’ll start watching house prices there.

Still want to go and look at a few other areas, including Mt Barker and the Hills, as Bob mentioned above – this weekend just went too quickly.

Thanks again.

Hi Hansa,

We live in the North Eastern suburbs too. The areas you mentioned are nice areas.. I would move there. Newton is also quite nice too. Magill is a bit more expensive - but really nice.

We loved the Stirling , Aldgate areas in the Hills but there seem to be no high schools in those areas... or have I missed something?

We loved the Stirling , Aldgate areas in the Hills but there seem to be no high schools in those areas... or have I missed something?

http://www.hhs.sa.edu.au/default.aspx

Living in the North East is a good option. Close enough to the city during the week and the hills and the beach on the weekend. You are right on Linear Park and can enjoy all that the path has to offer... you can even ride to the city, beach or hills form there.

It is fairly affordable too... in comparison to other suburbs.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Adelaide!

red

Living in the North East is a good option. Close enough to the city during the week and the hills and the beach on the weekend. You are right on Linear Park and can enjoy all that the path has to offer... you can even ride to the city, beach or hills form there.

It is fairly affordable too... in comparison to other suburbs.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Adelaide!

red

Thanks red, we did enjoy!

We definitely saw the reserve/path as a huge bonus - I did consider that I could ride to work, and possibly even run to work on some days (not quite up to running those distances yet, but one day, ha).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Just wanted to see if there is anyone living in Mawson Lakes , would like to know about the schools have girl in year 1, and we are looking to move around June ..thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Just wanted to see if there is anyone living in Mawson Lakes , would like to know about the schools have girl in year 1, and we are looking to move around June ..thanks

Mawson Lakes is beautiful...in a Desperate Housewife sort of way. All designer parks and houses.....pretty lake, nice tree lined streets and new houses with small rooms.......close to the city.

Older suburbs like Kilburn are good. The prices are affordable, the population mixed and the older houses are making way for new, modern ones. You still get houses here with big rooms and a back yard. We are about 9 kilometres from the city, a 15 minute drive in peak hour. Close to busses and shops with lots of schools nearby. I really enjoy the lots of little shops and shopping centres around here.

Everybody prefers the South, the North is as good, if not better. We live in a quiet street with lovely people......North.

As Annette said, some streets are better than the others. You get all sorts everywhere....everybody told us to steer clear from Elizabeth and Saltzbury. Can't tell you why, I stayed clear.

Archived