Dilemma

Michele R

Hi,

We're currently staying in Perth with family, but are now thinking perhaps we should make the move to Perth. We arrived just over 3 weeks ago, and after a lot of looking around, applying and 1 interview, hubby hasn't secured a position yet. We've noticed there are far more IT related jobs in Melbourne, so he's started to apply for some of them.

My questions is, do we take a chance and take our last bit of savings and come to Melbourne and look for work there? Part of me is saying yes, but the other part is very cautious and worried that we might sit there for an unknown amount of time without work. We are really keen to get started, but as everyone know, finances are quite tight in the beginning, especially as we're still living on Rands.

I had a look at accommodation, and seems like there are one or two places where you can rent for relatively cheaply. Our household items are currently in storage here in Perth, but we had a quote from the movers, and it won't be too much to move it all to Melbourne. We can always do that a month or so after we started working.

So...any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel so ill from all the stress...just makes me realise once again how hard this whole immigration process really is.

Thanks in advance!

Tough call....

Melbourne and Sydney are the financial hub of Australia. If you can save and stay with family, then great, utilise this opportunity to apply for as many positions as you can, whilst in Perth. It is very very expensive to live on SA Rands in Oz. Send out as much as 5 cvs per day. You will find something... (look whose talking, I'm still looking). Best of luck.

Hi,

We're currently staying in Perth with family, but are now thinking perhaps we should make the move to Perth. We arrived just over 3 weeks ago, and after a lot of looking around, applying and 1 interview, hubby hasn't secured a position yet. We've noticed there are far more IT related jobs in Melbourne, so he's started to apply for some of them.

My questions is, do we take a chance and take our last bit of savings and come to Melbourne and look for work there? Part of me is saying yes, but the other part is very cautious and worried that we might sit there for an unknown amount of time without work. We are really keen to get started, but as everyone know, finances are quite tight in the beginning, especially as we're still living on Rands.

I had a look at accommodation, and seems like there are one or two places where you can rent for relatively cheaply. Our household items are currently in storage here in Perth, but we had a quote from the movers, and it won't be too much to move it all to Melbourne. We can always do that a month or so after we started working.

So...any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel so ill from all the stress...just makes me realise once again how hard this whole immigration process really is.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps one of you could go ahead, rent a room in a house (there are MANY places available) and look for work while the other stays in Perth... once the person in Melbourne finds work, the other can join?

Could minimize your Melbourne expenditure as well as increasing your chances of getting a foot in the door in Melbs?

Just a thought.

My suggestion is that you perhaps look at share accommodation when you first come to Melbourne, that would probably be the cheapest way. If you think there are more jobs available in Melbourne from the employment sites, then I would say go for it.

Michelle, my hubby found a fantastic IT job within a week of looking in Melbourne. The job market was our main consideration when we picked Melbourne because it has the most IT jobs - even more so than Sydney. Brisbane I've heard is very quiet on the IT job front. Not sure at all about Perth but we wanted to be safe - we couldn't afford to be out of work for long. Maybe the larger mining co's in Perth have IT positions available?

Good luck whatever your choice!

Aw, Michele, I can imagine the stress you must be going through......and soon after just arriving here.

Hope whatever decision you guys make it will be for the better......

Will be holding thumbs and thinking of you :)

Good luck and go well!

Erica

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! :)

Hubby and I are going to put a deadline for Monday, by which I guess we come up with Plan F? or maybe it's G? Can't keep track of all the plans. :)

Wow Impatient, that is quite impressive! So glad things worked out so quickly for you. Think we'll send out as many CV's as possible, and see if anyone is keen to do any interviews. Then perhaps hubby can fly out and possibly secure something there, and I can come join him.

Will hopefully have some good news soon.

Thanks again for all the great advice, you have no idea how much it means to me!

Archived