27np27: Adelaide Resident, Brief Backgound Introduction

27np27

Hi to all fellow Forumites

I have been a member of this forum since October 2009, but this is my first post. During this time I have read numerous posts by most of the members on this forum, providing advice, and sharing their pre and post migration experiences and I think it is time me to contribute actively.

Bit of background.

We are a family of 3 plus father-in-law (82 years). Son is 16 years (year 11). Wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and I am in Food Science.

We moved to Australia from Durban in 2000 so this is our 10 year anniversary.

We initially spent 18 months in Bordertown, a small South Australian Country Town (population 2500) on the border with Victoria. This was an excellent experience having lived our entire lives in a big, highly populated city. As migrant (from experience) a small country town is an excellent place to start in Australia. Their culture may be different to city people but these country folk are friendly, loving and very caring to migrants.

When we left Bordertown there were 9 other South African families living there due to sponsorship mainly from the Meatworks.

We have been living in Henley Beach, a western suburb of Adelaide for the last 8 and a bit years and just love the lifestyle here.

My main aim for being part of this forum is to provide any assistance I can to anyone requiring it.

From previous posts there are a number families moving to Adelaide and we would be happy to show you around and assist in any way we can. Please PM me if you want take me up on my offer.

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Adelaide from the 21 March - 02 April to validate our visa. We are not sure when we are going to move permanently, it all depends on how the trip goes.

Is it necessary to hire a car to get around Adelaide?

Do you have any recruitment agencies you would recommend?

What is Adelaide's main daily newspaper?

Any advice will be great!

Thanks

Dale

Hi there Dale

We will just miss you in Adelaide - we driving from Melbourne and only arrive in Adelaide on the 5th April. We also doing the trip to validate visa's and expect to make the final move in Jan 2011.

On our last trip we used acasiacarrentals.com.au and this time we are using aussiecarrentals.com.au - found both of these to be alot cheaper than Hertz, Avis, Thrifty etc. Acasia was great last time, even picked us up from airport on arrival and when we left we had a really early flight so they left us keys to their yard :blink: to drop off the car at 5am and then just caught a taxi to the airport which wasn't too expensive 'cos they really close to the airport and easy to find.

Contact MannyT on the forum - he and his wife have a recruitment agency in Adelaide (Over40recruitment) and he will be able to point you in the right direction.

See ya in Adelaide 2011 :ilikeit:

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Adelaide from the 21 March - 02 April to validate our visa. We are not sure when we are going to move permanently, it all depends on how the trip goes.

Is it necessary to hire a car to get around Adelaide?

Do you have any recruitment agencies you would recommend?

What is Adelaide's main daily newspaper?

Any advice will be great!

Thanks

Dale

Hi Dale

It would be advisable to to hire a car. You could also get around with the public transport which is fairly decent, but it may take longer.

I have a friend (ex South African) who works for a recruitment agency. PM me and I will give you her details. I will also pass on details of other agencies.

The local newpapers are the Advertiser (weekdays), Saturday Advertiser and the Sunday Mail. The online link is http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/

We also have a free community newspaper "The Messenger" that gets delivered once a week on Wednesday/Thursday. The online link is http://messenger-news.whereilive.com.au/

Cheers

Archived