My View

wynie

My wife and myself were on a LSD trip in December and I would like to give some feedback. Australia is a very interesting country, very much like South Africa, I think this is what South Africa would have been like if certain things did not take place in our history.

We first went to Brisbane, for me very much like Durban but much more metropolitan and much bigger than I ever anticipated it would be. Sydney was our second stop, if you like London you will love Sydney. Sydney was very expensive, but there is lots of work. Melbourne was our third stop, but in all honesty I can not see why it was voted as the best city in the world to live in. The city looks quite modern but it takes forever to get out of the city and to finally get onto the highway, Melbourne reminded me of Cape Town. The most irritating thing about Melbourne was the bush fly that makes its way South every summer and they need protein to for there eggs, so they constantly try to get this from your eyes, nose and mouth and it feels like an attack. Perth was our last stop and everybody told me that this was a very old and ugly place and that we would not like it at all, but WOW if you live in Pretoria you can live in Perth, and you meet South African left, right and centre.

There are a few thing that we did not like an here they are: ;)

1. Very difficult to find decent breakfast, you must either choose between McDonalds or Hungry Jacks(Burger King), I would love a place like Wimpy, is there a place like Wimpy?

2. There is a huge variety of everything except for two things: Softdrinks and Potato Crisps. You can only enjoy coke,sprite,fanta orange,pepsi and the some diet versions, on the crisps side you can choose between salt & vinegar, chicken, cheese and onion and plain.

3. The flies is probably the most anoying thing. Attached is something I got from the Internet.flybook.zip

4.TV ads, an hour program takes two hours due to all the ads.

As you can see this is not major problems, except for the flies, once you experience them you will understand what I mean.

What I would like to know is the following:

What is the best thing to do with regards to transport once you arrive in Australia for the first time, do you rent a car from the airport until you can buy a car or do you make use of public transport ?

What is the best bank in Australia, something similiat to ABSA with real-time banking ?

I still beleive that before anyone ever thinks of migrating to a country including Australia, one should do a LSD trip, it just puts you mind at ease for the big change. Please note that this is my personal opinion.

I am busy with my Subclass 136 Visa, should be ready toward the end of the year.

Thanks for this Wynie! It always helps to get different points of view on the different cities.

It really gives a bit of insight into the place. So few flavours for chips is really weird!

Thanks!

thanks Wynie from here too!

Have you been to rural Vic, away from Melbourne and South Oz by any chance?

It looks like we think along the same line. We are hoping to relocate to Vic/S Oz...

Thanks for posting ;)

Bianca

What I would like to know is the following:

What is the best thing to do with regards to transport once you arrive in Australia for the first time, do you rent a car from the airport until you can buy a car or do you make use of public transport ?

What is the best bank in Australia, something similiat to ABSA with real-time banking ?

I still beleive that before anyone ever thinks of migrating to a country including Australia, one should do a LSD trip, it just puts you mind at ease for the big change. Please note that this is my personal opinion.

I am busy with my Subclass 136 Visa, should be ready toward the end of the year.

Hi Wynie

Regarding transport, I think the best thing to do is base yourself near public transport for the first few weeks and hire a car on the odd day when you want to explore. When you buy a car, look into doing a Novated Lease because you then get your car payments as a tax deduction.

We miss our Nino's breakfasts but there are lots of independent nice little breakfast spots that don't break the bank.

We've had excellent service from St George Bank and they've got online banking. (It's run by an ex-South African)

Good luck with the app.

Kevin

Dear Wynie,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with us ;) !

Please note that I have moved your post to LSD Trips which is a more suitable subforum for this topic. I hope you will understand.

Many thanks!

Bye, Pippa! X

Hi Wynie

Interesting to read your comments about your LSD trip!

Breakfasts, there are masses of independent little cafes and coffee houses that sell breakfasts.......you just need to go to one! More people eat there in Australia than at a fast food place.

Potato Crisps, there are about 10 or 12 different varieties, but the cafes and little shops are inclined to just stock a few, you must go to a supermarket for the huge selection, the same goes for soft drinks!

Flies, what can I say, now you know why all Aussie homes have fly screens in front of all their opening windows and doors!

Should have come to Adelaide .... lovely small city, 5 minute drive and you're in the suburbs, heaps and heaps of little cafes to have breakfast at + best coffee in the world, kilometres of white sandy beaches, affordable housing, lots of festivals, very little pollution, lots of open parklands, excellent lifestyle etc. etc. :( ! Don't know about the rest of Aus, but we get, in addition to the above flavours, cream cheese and chives, roast tomato and chilli, sweet thai chilli, cracked black pepper, lamb & mint, "tangy", roast potato flavour :huh: , tangy cheese... ummm I can't think of any more now, but I know there are - in crinkle cut, smooth, thin, thick, kettle fried, roasted, whatever floats you boat. :lol: Cold fizzy drinks - the famous Adelaide Woodies lemonade or lemon tang (my favourite!), passion crush, solo (another lemon one - yum), raspberry crush, creamy soda (like cream soda, but see-through instead of green), and also Appletiser and Grapetiser. However, a lot of people here tend to choose fruit juice (or wine :holy: ). Next time, make sure you don't skip Adelaide. We haven't even had so many flies this year because of the drought :blush: .

Kevin - just one little point on novated leasing: I recently looked into this because I'm buying a new car and it's only worth it if you earn a fair bit. I would have been paying the same every month as with a straight loan and at the end of the period, there would still be a large " residual value" to pay if I wanted to own the car plus the net gain in disposable income was so little it would not have been worth it for me, because my salary is way too low, plus my km's would not have been high enough. I reckon unless you earn above at least $60 000 (or maybe even more)and do a lot of km's in the car, it's not worth your while...

Hi Annette

you've made me so hungry!! :cry: imagining

all the yummy eats , little

cafes & great coffee :whome:

deeellliciousss.. mmmmmmm

oh yes, not forgetting the wine :blink:

hugs Andrea

Should have come to Adelaide .... lovely small city, 5 minute drive and you're in the suburbs, heaps and heaps of little cafes to have breakfast at + best coffee in the world, kilometres of white sandy beaches, affordable housing, lots of festivals, very little pollution, lots of open parklands, excellent lifestyle etc. etc. :blush: ! Don't know about the rest of Aus, but we get, in addition to the above flavours, cream cheese and chives, roast tomato and chilli, sweet thai chilli, cracked black pepper, lamb & mint, "tangy", roast potato flavour :cry: , tangy cheese... ummm I can't think of any more now, but I know there are - in crinkle cut, smooth, thin, thick, kettle fried, roasted, whatever floats you boat. :cry: Cold fizzy drinks - the famous Adelaide Woodies lemonade or lemon tang (my favourite!), passion crush, solo (another lemon one - yum), raspberry crush, creamy soda (like cream soda, but see-through instead of green), and also Appletiser and Grapetiser. However, a lot of people here tend to choose fruit juice (or wine :lol: ). Next time, make sure you don't skip Adelaide. We haven't even had so many flies this year because of the drought :ilikeit: .

Kevin - just one little point on novated leasing: I recently looked into this because I'm buying a new car and it's only worth it if you earn a fair bit. I would have been paying the same every month as with a straight loan and at the end of the period, there would still be a large " residual value" to pay if I wanted to own the car plus the net gain in disposable income was so little it would not have been worth it for me, because my salary is way too low, plus my km's would not have been high enough. I reckon unless you earn above at least $60 000 (or maybe even more)and do a lot of km's in the car, it's not worth your while...

You can get a nice breakfast at Dome - it's similar to Mugg and Bean. They make a nice Eggs benedict.

The hotter it gets the worse the flies are. We copied our neighbours and bought these bottles from Bunnings ( big hardware store). It gets filled with a green liquid which attract the flies and they fly into the bottle and get trapped. We have caught thousand of flies with these bottles hanging outside our house and we think (or hope) we have reduced the amount of flies around our property. I don't have a solution for when you walk in the street.

We were fortunate to be able to borrow a friends' car for two weeks when we first arrived until we bought a car. Public transport is ok, but when you have so much to do when you first arrive the last thing you want to do is wait for a bus in the heat! Once you know where you are going just ask on the forum where to rent a car and you will get prompt advice.

We also likened Perth to Pretoria, with the added bonus of the sea. Just no lovely Bugati coffee shops!

• 1 month later...

I have read all the posts on LSD and I still believe an LSD is a waste of time and money unless you already have a specific place in mind before coming. I have met people who have been to every big city and either seen nothing of value for when you move and live there, or then end up moving somewhere else.

We decided not to do any LSD, so our first Australia trip was a one way followed up with our home contents a month behind us. We were going to go to Adelaide because we met the Migration Deputy Minister in Sandton and she made SA seem wonderful as well as offering state sponsorship, but they made too many demands so we then changed to Brisbane before getting PR visa. When we got here we ended up living in Mackay, a small town 1000km north of Brisbane. It was a surprise for the whole family.

We all loved Sydney, we liked Brisbane a lot then we got to Mackay and I thought what a hole! But the family loved it and after a few months I did too.

I have seen from Mt Isa through to Townsville and Brisbane all the way by road. I have made a few trips for work to Melbourne and seen Hamilton Island with the million $ homes and yachts, and every where I go I meet South Africans or Australians who say there is a South African family here, do you know them. :rolleyes:

As far as crisps and drinks there are more than I ever saw in South Africa. As far as beer and wine about 20 times the variety. Banks. We are with CBA olny because they were the first who asked for a phone number and phoned me in South Africa to set up a bank account in Australia before ever being here. If you travel a lot a bigger bank would be better but the smaller banks are more flexible on home loans. CBA did not get our homeloan because they decided to make it more difficult than everywhere else. National Australia Bank ANZ.

What is my point.

That if you are going to live in Australia, a short visit will tell you nothing of life there. Here in Mackay there are now thousands of RSA's and many have come from other parts of Australia to be here. Tasmania, Perth Melbourne and even New Zealand. I would stuggle to move to a big city now after living here.

Anywhere in Australia is better than the best plac in South Africa in my opinion. On Monday 19 Feb we will be Australian

Hi Leeinoz

Thanks for your advise. I was just thinking that i will be the only one on this forum that is not going to do the LSD trip. We are a family of 5 and it will cost a lot of money just for the trip, rather used the money to pay the container.

We are planning to move to Brisbane, but dont know if this is where we will settle. I also believe that maybe we will stay some where else. Have to wait and see. :hug:

Lodge Sept 06 and still waiting. ;)

Regards

Sheila2oz

Hi Leeinoz

Thanks for your advise. I was just thinking that i will be the only one on this forum that is not going to do the LSD trip.

Lodge Sept 06 and still waiting. :hug:

Regards

Sheila2oz

Personally the waste was to big for me to afford as well. the internet is a wonderful source of the information you need. I have travelled the world a bit so I am not completely ignorant of travel.

VISA

We applied June 03 and only got a visa May04 dated Jan04, this with MODL. (wife is a nurse). I was doing a count of LSD people we know and bite ona bullet arrive. LSD seems more popular but we saved R 25k to R30k on airline tickets and R20k accom as well as a year of time. ( We would have delayed arrival if we did not just get here and stay)

Of the people like us who are considered a bit mad to just arrive, at some point you have to take the bull by the horns and get on with life. All are doing just great. The weird thing was when we arrived there were not to many South Africans here, now there seem to be plenty, and the support system is pretty good.

I know of people who came on LSD to validate and then just before expiry (5 years) Let the visa lapse and now are starting over.

We spent a few days in Sydey and Brisbane on the way to Mackay. We should have spent a few more days.

In Sydney the harbour tour, a trip up the tallest tower, and a walk up the bridge (if you are fit). We spent a few hours in Hyde park, enjoying the fact you could safely sit and watch life pass by.

Brisbane is a bigish sprawling city (but beautiful) and unless you know what type of home you want and surroundings the only way is to know wher the work will be and go from there. It can take 40min to an Hr to get into the city. ( I go there from time to time for work and guys there tell me this.) The train is a cheap way around but the routes are a bit limited http://www.citytrain.com.au/stations/cityt...ytrain_maps.asp. I stay in the city and catch the train to work at the airport when I go there. Get a ride on the citycat ferry if you can, it is great.

Aussies complain about public transport here but I think it is pretty good.

Car rentals can be had at teh airport for $100/day but in town there are places at $30/day.

We arrived and rented at the airport and drove around. We should have caught the skytrain into the city $8. A taxi will be about $40.

Make sure all your bags have roller wheels, a back pack for each member so your hands are free.

Don't feel too lonely - We didn't do the LSD trip either. We are a family of 4 and leaving for our exciting future in Oz (Brisbane) end March07... And I CANT wait!!!

Container's leaving end of the week.

Pam

HI Pam.

Good luck with all your preparations, We must keep in touch, also planning to move to Brisbane.

I wish you well !!!!!!!!! And enjoy. :rolleyes:

Sheila2oz

We also did not do an LSD we just packed up and came... and we are loving it.

It is hard at times because there is no-one to call and say let's go for a drink but you make friends and before you know it you have someone you can call :rolleyes:

If we had done the LSD we wouldn't have been able to bring our "babies" with us so we think we did the right thing.

Gaille