Can my bonsai come?

Stuart and Jill

Hello all

I have collected, grown, looked after and shaped bonsai trees for a number of years. I have heard of one or two cases where bonsai collectors have managed to take a few select trees from SA to Oz but I don't know of any specifics.

Does anyone on the forum know someone who could point me in the right direction?

Some of these trees are quite old and very special (to me anyway).

Here's a few we have displayed outside our front door.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartforsyth/349057714/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartforsyth/349057558/

Thanks

Stuart

Edited by Stuart and Jill

Hi Stuart and Jill

I would google customs ?state? and get an email address for the state you plan to live in. Write to them and ask them, that is the best thing to do. Rules can vary from state to state, so it will pay to check with the actual state you plan to live in and get a directive from them. How would you transport them though? If your container lands up on the upper reaches of a container ship, imagine the heat that is going to be generated inside the container!

Hi Stuart and Jill

I would google customs ?state? and get an email address for the state you plan to live in. Write to them and ask them, that is the best thing to do. Rules can vary from state to state, so it will pay to check with the actual state you plan to live in and get a directive from them. How would you transport them though? If your container lands up on the upper reaches of a container ship, imagine the heat that is going to be generated inside the container!

I believe you have to de-soil them completely and then put them into some sort of hydroponics quarantine. I am sure it is going to be nearly impossible to get them there which is a pity - will probably have to start from scratch again.

hmmm my husband is a cycad fanatic and we had hundreds of then in our garden in PTA (paid for our trip it did) and it was very hard but I would say to save yourself lots of stres....let it go and start from the beginning...

hmmm my husband is a cycad fanatic and we had hundreds of then in our garden in PTA (paid for our trip it did) and it was very hard but I would say to save yourself lots of stres....let it go and start from the beginning...

Sad but doable.

Thanks for the advice.