At Last - received our Unabridged Birth Certificates

Riekie

We have applied 3 times (and PAID) 3 times and after not receiving our Unabridged Birth Certificates at all, then receiving them with incorrect information (checked, signed and certified nogal!!) we have now after more than 2 years received them from South Africa via the RSA Consulate in Australia. BUT - our joy soon turned to desperation when they were, once again, incorrect!! I feel like getting on a plane, drive to the incompetent minister of home affairs' office and strangle him!!! They can not even get THAT right - after 3 tries!!! I give up!

Hmmmmm and I',m still married to my ex according to home affairs. That's after going there and giving them a copy of my divorce certificate and my new marriage certificate! :lol: Wonder if my new ID will arrive with my married name or my ex married name!

Luckily we're still "alive" - they could have sent death certificates instead! Guess I should count my blessings! :lol:

Good luck to all who still have to get documents from them!

after battling for mine for some time i tracked down an afrikaans lady at home affairs, pretoria, who helped me a lot, and the next day it was ready.....my daughter was born during our application and we had to get her passport and unabr. asap. got my daughters unabr. within 2 weeks after speaking to her! i'll look at home over the weekend, have got her name and number written down somewhere and give it to you. just waited three months for her passport though.........thanks home affairs, good going.

Hi

We will be going on a 457 visa, can we go while waiting for unabridged certificates? Applied in January

Vossie don't know if your visa has been issued and whether you have kids , but Dimia would not issue visa for the children without us having unabridged certificates for them.

Serileen

Is unabridged the printed copy wtih just the childs name and birthday/ID number? Because the full birth certificate is the one with the child's parents names on as well?

I get so confused-I have done this before I just can't remember!

The unabridged is the full birth certificate, with parents names etc. My information was that DIMIA won't issue the visa until they receive it - it can be approved etc in the meantime, but the actual visa won't be issued until the certificate is sighted. We were really fotunate in that we found a very helpful lady at the JHB office - think her name was Jackie? - and she managed to fast-track our request.

Good luck!

Our children's' unabridged certificates were 100% - the ones we're battling to get are our own. We submitted the "incorrect" birth certificates with our 457 visa application, explaining the situation (it is out parents' id's & date of births which are incorrect, their names are correct) and they have accepted it. (Now I understand why - it's 'cause the kids' were OK).

Thing is just that we will be here for the rest of our lives. Mr Murphy will at some time require these unabridged certificates and if we don't have them.......

I can use bunnyhop, but the problem is that whoever issues these certificates does not get it right, (I've even supplied them with the correct info!!) so it does not matter which route I take, the end result is the same.....

:)

Hi Riekie and all,

So glad we are not the only ones with faulty documents!!! We applied for our documents in August 2005 and only received them at the end of November 2005. We realized after checking the documents that our marriage certificate is incorrect.

A lady called Benita assisted us with the documents and her number is 0128107552.

Good luck!!!

Pippa

Thanks for the answer Ajay. I can't find my kids unabridged ones... back to home affairs we go.....

Hi there

We applied for our unabridged birth, marriage certificates in March last year. We got the birth certificates but my husbands doesnt have his parents id numbers on it, is this a problem when we apply for PR? Also its a year down the line and our marriage certificate still hasn't gone to the print queue.

Also anyone got any info on who to contact in Sydney to renew my passport, and how long does that take?

Dear sa2oz

My birth certificate only has my parents date of birth on it. I have found out (before we came over) that the ID system were only started in the 70's (blue ID Book) and were replaced by the little green ones in the 80's. People were only given ID numbers from 1970. If anyone was born before 1970, the parents ID numbers might not show on their unabridged birth certificate. This will not be a problem for applying for PR. In Oz they will only work on the date of birth, as they do not know the ID system of South Africa.

Hope this will help

Regards

Madelein

PS: when is the next "coffee meeting?"

Sorry, just to add to the passport thing:

You have to phone the SA Embassy in Canberra. They are really helpful and will send you the forms for applying for a new passport. You might have to get the fingerprints done (again) at your local policestation.

Madelein