Great Ocean Road

Numbawun

We gonna be in Australia end March to early April and would like to drive from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road ,and then on to Adelaide.

Has anyone done that trip? Would appreciate info on places to stay.

The plan is to take 3 days/ 2nights for the trip or should we spend more time? Great Ocean Road looks beautiful ! but only the first 100km of the trip...

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

C

We did that trip in April last year, except we did it the other way around. We drove from Adelaide and stayed overnight in Mt Gambier, which is right on the border between SA and VIC. The next day we got up early and drove to Mt Martha, which is on the Mornington Peninsula (we took a ferry across to Surrento).

Generally speaking, we found the trip to take longer than expected. That said, you don't really need more than two days to do the trip. If you're not used to strict traffic laws, as found in Australia, then you'll be tempted to take chances like I did and end up getting a fat speeding fine, like I did! :oops: One part of me was annoyed at the cop for not letting me off, but another part was pleased to be in a country where there are definite consequences.

Do yourself a favour and use Google Maps to plot your course. There are loads of places to stay and some beautiful little towns along the way: Robe, Port Fairy, etc.

Very handy site.

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject...7280C476A90000/

And then this page about the koalas in the wild on your route, always think its better to see wild life doing their thing in the wild.

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject...1BC2B68A19B1C7/

I did the trip in a day, took approx 9 hours from Melbourne via Apollo Bay through to Port Campbell, then via Colac and home. From Appolo Bay through to Port Campbell, the most intersting part, we covered in 5 hours with various stops including lunch.

There is lots of accomodation on the route, Google "Accomodation Great Ocean Road" most of these places I found are of good value.

We did it in 2 days - next time we’d probably do it in more to actually stop and see more on the Great Ocean road side – we only really stopped at 12 Apostles, and then overnight in Portland.

The first couple of hours is great – very scenic. Get’s a bit boring in between, but on the whole it’s still a good drive.

I can’t really recommend anywhere to stay – the Hotel in Portland where we stayed was a typical 3.5 star, neither here nor there.

Must do: Get a corny picture of you running away from the Giant Lobster in Kingston.

Autumn/Spring is probably the better time to do it as things are greener. In the middle of summer it can be very dry.

Thanks for all the info guys! Looking forward to our 'mini roadtrip' ! Now just to organise a vehicle...

Will post our experience on return.

• 1 month later...
We gonna be in Australia end March to early April and would like to drive from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road ,and then on to Adelaide.

Has anyone done that trip? Would appreciate info on places to stay.

The plan is to take 3 days/ 2nights for the trip or should we spend more time? Great Ocean Road looks beautiful ! but only the first 100km of the trip...

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

C

Hi Cheryl

We took a leisurely sight seeing trip from Adelaide to Melbourne (5 days) along the coastal road(s). Left early on the first morning and popped into places of interest along the way, Naracoote, Penola (in the Coonawarra wine region), the Blue Lakes (Mount Gambier), the beaches at Nelson and the Lavender farm in Portland etc and spent the first night in Port Fairy.

On the way from Port Fairy to Port Campbell we explored Warrnambool :ilikeit: We spend the next night in Port Campbell and explored the Twelve Apostles coastline and surrounds from that base.

On the third day we drove/explored the coastal area between Port Campbell and Lorne. Did the Otway Fly Treetop walk and visited some waterfalls in the surrounding rainforests and Apollo Bay.

Spent our third and fourth nights in Lorne and explored the region including Bells Beach (I had last visited Bells Beach in 1989 when Sean Thompson (South African) was competing there in a surfing competion :ilikeit::) Had dinner at the fish resataurant on the jetty in Lorne, great setting and lovely food.

On the fifth day we took a leisurely drive to Melbourne popping into numerous beaches along the way including Anglesea, Torquay and and Geelong and arrived in Melbourne during the late afternoon of the fifth day. Spent five days in Melbourne.

Took two days to get back to Adelaide. drove back through Ballarat(visited the Eureka Stockade) and visited numerous smalll towns and wineries in the Halls Gap (Grampians)

area. Spent the night just north of Penola in the Coonawarra wine region at the Chardannay Lodge (situated on the main road but amongst the vineyards).The next day we drove through to Adelaide.

We had not booked any accomodation and having decided what town/village we would spend the night in we would visit the information centre speak to the nice ladies there, get some recommendations and then visited the various places (including getting keys and inspecting the premises :ilikeit: before makind a final decision - We stayed in stunning accommodation in all the locations. :lol:

You can make the trip as interesting (or boring) as you like........

Enjoy!

Manny

Thanx Manny, your trip sounds great :ilikeit:

Booking for the trip ended up being quite a mission as we arrive on the day of the Melbourne Grand Prix and the next week is the Easter holidays so most places were either fully booked or required a 4 night minimum stay...

Anyway, this is what we've managed to secure: 4 nights in Melbourne at the Discovery Park (Darren off to Sydney on the second day for a job interview :ilikeit: ) then 2 nights in Apollo Bay (we'll take the ferry at Sorrento), a night in Mt Gambier, and a night in Murray Bridge. Should be able to explore each area during this time!

We'll be in Adelaide from the 5th - 13th April and will definitely be looking up the Tavares family (think we owe you a coupla cups of coffee and a meal or 2!!!)

One thing that struck me about a few of the bookings we've made is that they haven't asked for deposits?! We will be arriving late afternoon in Melbourne and they will leave the keys for the unit in the post box at the gate :lol: For the guest house in Mt Gambier, the lady wanted our contact number as she may not be there when we arrive and she'd like to let us know where she leaves the key :ilikeit::lol::ilikeit: Doesn't she know we're from Africa.... I couldn't imagine this ever happening in SA!

Can't wait to be in Adelaide again! The best kept secret - SSHHHHH!!! :cry:

We'll be in Adelaide from the 5th - 13th April and will definitely be looking up the Tavares family (think we owe you a coupla cups of coffee and a meal or 2!!!)

Manny's cross with me because I said I'd meet up with him and ended up not doing so. :ilikeit: Our plans changed and I was very inconsiderate in not telling him that I would no longer be able to make it. Sorry Manny!!! I'm usually very good at sticking to appointments, so I really have no excuse! :ilikeit:

Archived