Windows 7

Jenn

Hi,

Anyone bought Windows 7 to replaced the OS that came with their laptop/desktop?

How does it fair? Worth getting it in SA or Australia?

Jennifer

I got it with my Toshiba... works nicely so far. If you have Vista, stick with it... and if you have XP, really stick with it.

Don't upgrade for upgrading's sake.

It's a far step from XP, and quite different from Vista.

-G

Just did mine. Mind you I am running 64bit and upgraded from 64bit Vista, which kept freezing. Had not had any problems it is less resource intensive. Will let you know if I find any bugs

My laptop came with Windows XP five years ago. Didn't like Microsoft Works as friends couldn't open documents sent as extensions different and format changed etc so put Microsoft Office.

Jennifer

I bought my HP with 32-bit vista on it. Day one I chucked out vista and installed 64-bit Windows 7 beta.

Worked like a charm until Windows 7 got released. Bought the 64-bit version again, installed it and works with no problems at all.

Only issue I had was to download 64-bit drivers for all the components from HP website.

Best of all it not failed me....yet.

I guess it depends why you're upgrading. It doesn't offer anything amazing to an average user that uses their laptop for emailing and surfing the net, but if you feel it's time for a change, it's waaaaay better than vista. It seems cleaner, more stable and slightly quicker.

Hi

We bought a new Toshiba in Ocktober and got the Windows 7 upgrade for $30. It installed really easy and fast and is working like a dream. Must admit that we only use the Toshiba for Skype, e-mail and internet. After installing Windows 7 (32 bit) I had to download Windows live mail because it does not seem to come with an e-mail program and it does not work with Windows mail like Vista did. Other than that we have had no problems with it (so far) and it is way faster than Vista. We still use Vista on our old Dell laptop (wich I inherited for playing the Sims) and it is so much slower that I actually think I might upgrade that one too.

I would say that if you want faster, go for the upgrade.

Wilma

Archived