Stun guns in South Australia?

conroys

What the hell for? To jumpstart the car?

ha....ha....! :lol:

Nope, for those paranoid South Africans... When I last checked, crime rate in Australia was bigger than zero.

:lol: mmm I don't think that is a good business to invest in - Larry

Nope, for those paranoid South Africans... When I last checked, crime rate in Australia was bigger than zero.

Does anyone know if it is legal to own stun guns (eg. tasers) in South Australia?

As they say 'Never bring a knife to a gun fight'

a stun gun - at least it'l make nice sparks for the kids to see...

:lol:

hallo julle,

ja, my nefie se vrou het een. Hy skok jou blykbaar disniss!! Hulle bly in Joburg.

Sy sê sy dra dit in haar handsak saammet haar. Die ding is blykbaar so klein soos mens se palm.

<_< Cheers vir eers

The Conroys

To my knowledge taser guns are banned in Australia, only people here that are armed are the police........and of course the crooks.........but you are unlikely to need anything like that as you go about your daily life. Yes, I agree, the crime rate is bigger than Zero, however, I have been here 9 years and have never been threatened in any way or form at any time. Amongst all of our acquaintances and friends and co-workers I do not know of anybody that has ever had a problem.

So I would say relax, look forward to arriving in Aus and living our laid back lifestyle, without continuously having to look over your shoulder.

We have just had visitors for three weeks and only last night found out that the one visitor from England that smokes, has never locked the front door when she goes out for her final smoke in the eveing before going to bed...........so we have been sleeping with an unlocked front door for the past three weeks.

Thanks Mara,

I've found quite a usesfull site at:

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/servic...rms_weapons.jsp

This shows that stun guns are indeed illegal. And so are pepper spray...

I guess it take some time for South African paranoia to take the back seat.... ;)

As for the rest of you guys:

:D It seems that we have a little bit of misunderstanding as to what a 'taser' is... Well, this should clarify the point... :D

This was the advertisement in Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop window next to the condo we rented last month in Florida:

Pocket Taser Stun Gun

Great Gift for the Wife

So I went in to check it out. I saw something that sparked my interest. The occasion was our 30th anniversary, and I was looking for a little something extra for my wife Gisele. What I came across was a 100,000 volt, pocket/purse-sized taser.

The effects of the taser were suppose to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to retreat to safety. WAY TOO COOL! Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home.

I loaded two triple A batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button. Nothing! I was disappointed. I learned, however, that if I pushed the button AND pressed it against a metal surface at the same time; I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs. Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I have yet to explain to Gisele what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-a batteries, right?!!! There I sat in my recliner, my cat Tabby looking on intently (trusting little soul) while I was reading the directions and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh & blood moving target. I must admit I thought about zapping Tabby (for a fraction of a second) and thought better of it. She is such a sweet cat. But, if I was going to give this thing to my wife to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised. Am I wrong?

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, taser in another. The directions said:

* one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant.

* two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control.

* three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.

* Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries.

All the while I'm looking at this little device measuring about 5 inches long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-a batteries, thinking to myself, "no possible way!"

What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best...

I'm sitting there alone, Tabby looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, "Don't do it master," reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad. I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button--

<_< !!! I'm pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again.

I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs. The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, "Do it again! Do it again!"

Note: If you ever feel compelled to "mug" yourself with a taser, one note of caution:

There is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor.

A three second burst would be considered conservative. :huh: that hurt like :) !!!

A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape.

My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they up get there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs....

This is BRILLIANT

I'm buying one tomorrow. Cannot wait to test it out on some unsuspecting criminal.

Now, if I can just find a criminal in good old SA... where are you ....

:lol:

Edited by TjaartvdW

Conroy,

that was BRILLIANT - my office is looking at me a bit funny, he he...good one

In fact all the women in my family have tasers and i've seen them in action...lucky thus far to not do it to myself...my mom keeps it in the car wherever she goes after a near hijacking (she broke the guy's hand in the door)...anyway, the guys at robots who lean in your car when you say no, well, you can imagine :lol: ...they know her car now in her area so its off limits :lol:

Unfortunately for my step father: a guy was digging in our ins outside so he was told to leave, so my step dad drove around the corner and back to see if the guy was still there (which naturally he was)...so my step dad use the taser on him, but forgot touch it to metal to get rid of the electricity and immediately shocked himself straight after putting it back in his pocket...

he he he :lol:

I know of a few blokes who own a rifle, myself included, but these are only for shooting bunnies on my land . . . . they eat my carrots and lettuces!

Firstly, your armament must be registered with the South Australian police. I don't know if "stun guns" are legal!

Then you must be an Australian citizen. Aliens are not allowed to own arms in Australia and South Africans citizens may or may not, being Commonwealth citizens, fall into the category of "alien'.

Aterward, you must apply for a gun licence which involves having a police check and doing a safety course, including a trip to the firing range, etc.

Then your arms must be securely stowed away on your premises . . . steel cabinet bolted to the floor or wall . . . and the ammo stowed elsewhere, separate from the rifle or gun.

I used to shoot bunnies years ago before all this paraphenalia came about, but I just can't be stuffed with all the "red tape" today, so have given my rifle to my 23 yr old son who is willing to jump thro' all the hoops.

Conroys, very recently there was a lot of controversy in the press about the possibility of arming the police here with stun guns. :ilikeit: You can't even own a Daisy here without registering it and you're right about the pepper (or capsicum) spray - a big no-no.