Wish us luck as you wave us goodbye!

Lee

Hi Guys,

Just to say that it is exactly 1 month to go for us until we make the big move from Cape Town to Perth. It really has become a rollercoaster of emotions. I think up until now I have felt pure excitement but now that the count down has begun and the house is starting to look and feel bare, the finality of our decision is also kicking in!!

We must say goodbye to our 2 dogs within the next two weeks which for me will be devastating, hence the fact I have chosen to to this a bit earlier and deal with the initial heart break, before having to deal with the final family goodbyes :(:o:lol: . Whilst I am so sure of our decision, this must be the hardest part - even my Mom said today that she wishes we were leaving tomorrow, just to get it over an done with. The waiting around must surely be the hardest part?

Thank you to all of you for all of your support and encouragement over the past 12 months - your advice has been invaluable and I hope to be able to meet up with some of you in Perth and add my experiences to this site for those of you still contemplating!

Lee

My sister-in-law is leaving for Adelaide on 8th January, and the past few weeks have proved to be very stressful and emotional for her.

Best of luck to you - I hope all goes well.

Scott

Hi Lee, good luck there, its not easy, this is why emigrating is not for sissies. I remember our last days in SA, before we came to UK, was nerve-wrecking. Wish we said goodbyes earlier and not on airport. One family member got lost!! :lol: it was so stressful. This move from UK to Oz will be easy compared!

anyway thinking of you all!

Edited by Saffer-in-UK

Hi Lee,

Good luck, I remember the last few weeks they were very stressfull. We also had to say goodbye to our 2 dogs, and I still miss them, but have peace knowing that they have a good home.

I agree with Saffer-in-UK, it is best not to have your family with you at the airport. We arranged for an airport transfer and said very quick goodbyes, and that was hard enough.

But once at the airport I had finished crying and full of excitement.

Good luck and take it easy on yourselves.

Guest colton

Good luck, we have only just arrived, 9 Nov, so I know how you feel. I must say I disagree with the others on the goodbyes. We flew from Dbn to Jhbg and all our family and friends came to the airport to say goodbye. There must have been about 30 odd people.

I have never felt so loved and cared for, the atmosphere was one of fun and laughter and only when we left to walk in did anyone begin to cry. Eventually everyone was crying, even the men. Needless to say the flight from Dbn To Jhbg was one long cry but by the time we had boarded for Australia we were happy and excited.

All those people at the airport waving goodbye with tears in their eyes will remain as one of my fondest memories, I knew I was cared for and would be missed and that my departure meant something to RSA. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of that goodbye but I hold it dear because my last sight of Dbn was of friends and family wishing me luck. How could I not make it work here knowing everyone back there was routing for me?

I had to say goodbye to my dad at his home because he was too ill to come to the airport and I must say I felt cheated, like there was no final goodbye. That was the hardest for me, and him. But yet once again each person if different and for some my experience is not the best for them, I think you need to do what feels right to you!

All the best and enjoy that awful LONG flight, not my favourite.

Colton

maybe it depends on family's views on you emigrating, and family as a whole - ours have never been on an airport! Mine get very stressed up and not in favour of us leaving, blaming us for taking away their grandchildren.., and it was upsetting for little children, so we had to handle them, etc, was more positive when we said goodbye to other family at their home, one to one and not in rush.

There was also hundreds of people around at airport and they were building at the airport (and Friday night on Jhb airport - was nightmare!), so we couldn't really say a proper goodbye - there was no place for them all to stand and wait, etc. The other time we visited only a little amount of people came and it was another time of day and week and it was very positive. I guess - Airports - thats a whole topic! :lol:

Edited by Saffer-in-UK

Hi Lee,

Thumbs up!! :lol::o All the best to you and your family, everything will be just fine! :(

Groen Tania

x

Good luck for those last few days and so many thoughts & emotions! Have a safe trip to Aus & let us know when you arrived! :)

Hi Lee,

I see you're off to Perth...best of luck!!!

My wife and I are in Cape Town as well and will hopefully be heading to Oz by the end of this year. Do you know much about Perth?? Is the climate/weather the same as CT?

I'm very much into my sports and kiteboard LOADS...I've heard Perth is very similar to our climate.

Ps...if your hubby starts working there and they're looking for .Net Developers at his company :holy:

All the best once again...wish you all the luck!!!! And hopefully we can meet up once we get there as well!

Good Luck Lee, hope you and your family have a safe move.

Goodbyes are the hardest, both for those leaving and for those staying in SA. I remember when my brother and family left and I phoned them in the car on their way to the airport - we were all sobbing our hearts out! Afterwards a friend tried to comfort me by saying "at least they're not dead" which produced a giggle (how true!)

Jacques - my brother lives in Perth and he is very 'outdoorsy' and loves his kitesurfing, sailing, canoeing etc. In winter he tends to stick to the hockey field, waiting for the summer weather. With the new daylight saving he also has time in the evenings after work to hit the beach or the river, so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Good luck to all of you still waiting to move (me included!)

Cindy