Applying for 457visa after 136 application

If somebody has already sent in an application for a 136 PR visa, could they then apply for a 457 sponsered visa after that. The idea behind that would be to go and work in Aus while waiting for the PR visa instead of waiting for it here in SA.

Is it advisable, are there any complications in doing this ?

Thanks.

Hi Tommo

I'm pretty sure that this is what Riekie did. I am sure she will be able to tell you about how they did it.

Cheers.

Hi

As far as I know, since I also considered this option, and after chatting with Riekie on the topic, they call it a 856 visa and you first enter on a 457 temporary visa and the company sponsoring you then helps you to obtain the 136 visa ONSHORE. The 136 OFFSHORE visa you apply for while you are outside Oz. You then have to leave the country for a while, during the time that the decision is made. You even have to contact the Immigration Authorities when you plan on visiting Oz because you may not be in the country at certain stages of the 136 application.

Guest colton

We applied for a 136 PR visa in December 2005 and hopefully it will be issued now in Jan 2007. We then came over on a 457 sponsored visa in Nov 2006. You just have to make sure that your last visa is the 136 visa because the last visa issued cancels out any previously issued visa, eg. 457.

What is good about this is that even though we are on a sponsored visa we can still get medicare and most other services, like centre link, special school fee rates, etc which is only available to permanent residents. Also once your 136 visa is issued you are no longer contracted to your sponsoring company and can part ways if that is your desire, you don't need to wait the 2 years.

The only drawback is you need to make sure ALL your paperwork in RSA is in order because trying to get that done from here is crazy!!! Also once your 136 is issued you will have to leave the country to get your visa issued into your passport so you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident, not too bad in my books because now we get to go to Indonesia for a compulsory holiday, how bad can that be? :lol:

• 1 month later...
Hi

As far as I know, since I also considered this option, and after chatting with Riekie on the topic, they call it a 856 visa and you first enter on a 457 temporary visa and the company sponsoring you then helps you to obtain the 136 visa ONSHORE. The 136 OFFSHORE visa you apply for while you are outside Oz. You then have to leave the country for a while, during the time that the decision is made. You even have to contact the Immigration Authorities when you plan on visiting Oz because you may not be in the country at certain stages of the 136 application.

856 is the Employer Nomination Scheme permanent visa, and the applicant must be in Australia for it to be granted. This is not related to the 136 visa, and has a totally separate set of requirements.

The 136 visa cannot be granted in Australia under any circumstance.

Peter

856 is the Employer Nomination Scheme permanent visa, and the applicant must be in Australia for it to be granted. This is not related to the 136 visa, and has a totally separate set of requirements.

The 136 visa cannot be granted in Australia under any circumstance.

Peter

Anybody know at which times you have to exit the country? Anybody done it this way...to enter on 457 while 136 has already been lodged?

I have a very good job offer and they want to sponsor me now on a 457, but my 136 VISA has aready been lodged!!

Edited by Swerwer

Anybody know at which times you have to exit the country? Anybody done it this way...to enter on 456 while 136 has already been lodged?

I have a very good job offer and they want to sponsor me now on a 457, but my 136 VISA has aready been lodged!!

When applying for a 457, you need to declare that you already have a 136 application pending DIAC's decision in the system and provide the File Ref Number if you already know what it is.

You need to also advise ASPC that you are now in possession of a 457 when that visa is granted.

Your case officer will then issue a pre-grant letter when he/she is prepared to grant your 136 visa. This pre-grant letter will request for your estimated departure date from Australia in order to facilitate the grant of your 136. Your 457 ceases the moment your 136 is granted.

Your 136 will then be granted after you are overseas. In practice, this means you'll need to spend a week or so overseas to obtain the visa label from an overseas Australian mission. Once your visa label is in place, you then "migrate" to Australia on that 136.

Peter

Thank you Peter...this is exactly what I wanted to know.

I was just concerned that I had to be outside Australia for an extended period, which would disrupt my work. But if I can know beforehand I can at least take leave.

Thank you Peter...this is exactly what I wanted to know.

I was just concerned that I had to be outside Australia for an extended period, which would disrupt my work. But if I can know beforehand I can at least take leave.

Someone needs to teach me how to say "no worries" in Afrikaans.

Peter

Swerwer,

We are waiting for our 136 and will need to leave the country for that to be issued, hubby has only been in his job for 4 months and was also a little concerned about that. The companies know what the 136 involves and are very reasonable as far as taking time off to have it issued to you. Obviously they want you to be considerate and take the least amount of time off but they DO understand.

Take the 457 if you can get it and the rest falls into place.

Thanx for the reassurance....I think I'm going to take this offer. The company seems to be meeting me half way by bringing me sooner on the 457, and I will do my part. It is a cosy little company of less than 10 people, but in a very fast growing industry that do exactly the same as I have been doing in te past 3 years....which makes the chance irresistible. Can't wait to make a difference for them as well.

Someone needs to teach me how to say "no worries" in Afrikaans.

Peter

Peter, let this boere-vroutjie give you your first Afrikaans lesson ;)

"No Worries" - Geen probleem

"It's okay"(One of my favourite sayings) - Dooddollies

Cheers

Moeder Tania