Season's Greetings!

Strandloper

Just a quick and cordial greeting to everyone.

I arrived in Australia in April 1973 after 19-months in the UK shortly after I completed my studies at Rhodes in 1971. I spent 1977 and 1978 in the Eastern Cape, 1979 in Perth, WA, and settled permanently in Australia - with a young family - in February 1983.

I have only been 'home' once since then, and that was for Christmas and New Year 1994 - 1995. Things were looking good in the ECape at that time, and I was sorely tempted to return to Grahamstown where I inherited a house. It was just not practical at the time. In hindsight I can see that it would not have been a good thing to do, financially or in any other way.

Since 1973 I have taught in public and private schools in NSW and, briefly, in WA. I no longer teach full time and am involved in a family business, a clinical psychology practice where I do everything from gardening through window cleaning to editing reports. Fortunately my partner likes the book keeping!

In 1996 we connected to the internet for the first time. Two years later I discovered a number of internet discussion forums for South Africans and became fascinated by the opportunity they provided to communicate with people still in SA, or people who had left to live elsewhere. The internet became my window on South Africa, especially when the Australian media appeared to lose interest in South Africa and only report on cricket and rugby, as much as I enjoy watching that too! :thumbdown:

Wishing you all a blessed Christmas and an auspicious start to the New Year,

Sale kahle!

post-13996-1261186816.jpg

Hi Strandloper and family

Boy, you sure have been there done that!

May you too hava a BLESSED CHRISTMAS, which is :hug:

filled with joy, love and apprectiation for all your

loved ones!!!!

Erica

Hi Strandloper and family

May you too hava a BLESSED CHRISTMAS, which is :hug:

filled with joy, love and apprectiation for all your

loved ones!!!!

Erica

Ta, and the same to you and yours.

Lovely place, Perth. We landed there as a family in February 1983. I had a six month contract in Esperance for the second half of that year, and then employment took us "back East". Since then we have been living in central and southern NSW. We have a place on the south coast which reminds me a little of Denmark, although the forests are not as impressive.

In the Spring of 1976 I travelled to Perth from Sydney, where I was teaching, and hired a car for a week. I managed to see almost everything south of a line drawn from Perth to Esperance. Out of the way places like Bremer Bay I only saw in 1979 when I camped there with friends.

It all reminded me so much of parts of the Eastern Cape, my childhood home. Mind you, when I arrived back from SA for the last time after my late Mom's funeral in 1995 I was mightily relieved to be greeted by the young lady in currency exchange at Perth airport. I knew then that Australia is home now. :)

Keep well!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Strandloper.

Sounds like a long time coming for you! Wow.

I hope to call Australia home in a couple of years as well.

Very excited.

I still live in South Africa, but just waiting for the PCC now... so we (Craigsa and myself) are close to getting the visa.

I really dont want to live here anymore. I feel like I live in a dark cell and every day I'm gasping for air. I cant wait to taste freedom!

I'm sure you have loads of advice to give us newbies!

K

hi and welcome,

interesting history you have and happy chatting

Archived