Sponsorship and 457 timeline

Mary

Hi folks

My wife and I have been lurking in this forum for a while now, grafting much information and entertainment as we go along. So first off, thanks to everyone for the endless enthusiasm and positive attitude.

We are in the process of going through the 'big decision', and the refreshing posts here are making things a lot easier.

My first question, and hopefully it's not being asked for the 42nd time, is this: a guy that I know, and have worked with, in Perth has offered me a job. From what I understand he will need to go through the process of applying for permission to sponsor me. Does anyone know how long it takes from these humble beginnings to final issue of a 457 visa?

And my second question: a few months back we started the process of applying for skills-based PR. Can we continue with this if we move over now on a 457?

Thanks, and we look forward to getting to know you all on this forum in the next few months.

BTW, we are from Hillcrest near Durban and are looking at moving to Perth.

Hi Homer,

The first step will be for your future employer to apply to be a Business Sponsor - this normally takes 4-6 weeks. During this process, the company details how many foreign nationals they want to employ and need to substantiate the training that they are doing locally, the number of people already employed, copies of financials etc. If they are approved, they then 'nominate' a position - meaning they allocate one of the approved spots to a specific job. At the same time, they can 'nominate' the foreign national that they want to fill the position, and that person will then apply for the visa. The nomination and visa application can be done simultaneously and generally also takes 6 weeks. So, in total, the process could take anywhere from 10 weeks. If they are already an approved Business Sponsor, then only the nomination and visa application needs to take place.

Good luck!

AJay

Thanks for the reply Ajay.

The guy who wants to employ me is basically a one-man company at the moment, which might jeopardise his chances of getting permission to sponsor me. Although it is a technology export business which will hopefully help. He seems confident.

If that fails, then I'll just have to wait until my RPL assessment comes through, and then finally the PR visa.

But the wait will not be pleasant!

Thanks for the reply Ajay.

The guy who wants to employ me is basically a one-man company at the moment, which might jeopardise his chances of getting permission to sponsor me. Although it is a technology export business which will hopefully help. He seems confident.

If that fails, then I'll just have to wait until my RPL assessment comes through, and then finally the PR visa.

But the wait will not be pleasant!

Try http://www.freespirit.com.au/

They told my brother that if he can secure a job in Aus, they will sponser him. He just have to get a job and send them the details. Email them and see if you qualify to be sponsered by them.

All the best

Hi Homer,

Ziggy is right - you can also try the management companies - Freespirit, Lester and Associates, CXC are the ones that I know, but there may also be more. These companies will generally sponsor the visa, provided that you are able to find your own employment, and are especially helpful when the company that wants to employ is unable to be a sponsor, for whatever reason.

Good luck!

Ajay