ELECTRICIANS - GOLD COAST

SammyJ

Hi

I've read quite a few posts from 2008 saying there were a lot of jobs for electricians on the Gold Coast. What's the situation like these days? Are there still a lot of jobs available for electricians? Has the recession affected that industry at all?

Any comments that can shed some light would be appreciated. We are still in SA and trying to decide whether to jump ship. Difficult to decide when you're not sure what conditions are like on the other side . . .

Hi

I've read quite a few posts from 2008 saying there were a lot of jobs for electricians on the Gold Coast. What's the situation like these days? Are there still a lot of jobs available for electricians? Has the recession affected that industry at all?

Any comments that can shed some light would be appreciated. We are still in SA and trying to decide whether to jump ship. Difficult to decide when you're not sure what conditions are like on the other side . . .

Hi.I am an electrician from SA working and living on the Gold coast(over 8 years)..if u want to be an unemployed electrician then come to the gold coast..there are very few jobs for sparks here at the moment.the gold coast job market for trades is very cut throwt,and unless you are good mates with an "aussie employer" then it will be harder for u to get a job on the coast...the saying on the coast is "its not what you know,its who you know".the gold coast has little industry and more domestic,commercial work..also with hundreds of apprentices qualifying from gold coast TAFE,the job market for electricians on the coast is flooded at the moment

do you know that u have to be licensed and registered as an electrical fitter/mechanic to even be allowed to work as an electrician,and that process can take over a year..the hard fact is no one will even look at you for employment if you are not licensed.i know some SA electricians who have been on the coast for 13 months and are still looking for work...

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

When are you planning to come over to Aus? We know of quite a couple of companies that would be interested in SA sparkies.

Archived