Teaching religion in public schools. Why bother?

2OZweGO

I read this article this morning and became concerned about how Christianity is seen in Oz. I know this is only one person’s view, however, having read the comments on her blog it seems that many people share the same views. In general to each one his own, however, as a Christian wanting to raise my son (to be born next April) in the principles of Christianity I am concerned about the exposure he might face once we immigrate to Brisbane.

I would like to know if anyone (and their children) has experienced challenges, i.e whether in Oz the group pressure/tendency is to move away from Christianity.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/parenting/...:8dec09:15dec09

Didn't bother reading the whole thing, but if the silly woman doesn't understand the Christian in Christian education then there is not much hope!

My youngest has just done grade 1 and did the optional Christian thing and it is a choice you as a parent make.

I cannot fathom how you can complain about what is taught when they are fundamental Christian principals.

There are lots of Christians in Australia, I'm sure less than there are agnostics or atheists out there, but its not like you will be the only one trying to raise your child a Christian.

And the input you make as a parent will be far more long lasting than what is taught at school.

I have read the article carefully and fully. I think its brilliant.

She has good and valid arguments, like religious tolerance, and helped her son make some sense of the confusion. I applaud her for wanting her son to be taught religious studies, albeit she misunderstood the intentions of that particular class. Still, its good for children to be exposed to everything, not just creationism.

and before I am called a child of satan again, everyone I believe, will have the freedom in Oz (I sincerely hope so) to practise their own sets of beliefs and value systems, whether christian or not, and accept other people's choices for what it is and respect them for it.

respect for other people and their differences in opinion, religion, culture etc is far more important to me than teaching my children a specific faith.

I believe that the ozzies are more tolerant than most south africans regarding different belief systems.

my own opinion, btw :ilikeit:

I too find the article well written and quite humorous

Actually the type of religion taught in public schools very much depends on which volunteers give it.

I too believe in exposing my children to a wide variety of religions in order to promote tolerance- and let me be quite frank- the very diverse population in Australia means that you will come across many religions, not just christianity.

At my daughters last state school she did a term of christianity and then Bahai the following term, before that she was in a catholic school.

You also have to realise that religious study is probably one half hour class once a week.

If you want your child taught christianity you will have to put them in a christian school or college.

Your choice

Sorry Toitjie and Andrea L but you both seem to be missing the point that she agreed to her child attenting CHRISTIAN RE. "My son attends the local government primary school where “CRE†(Christian Religious Education) is an optional part of the curriculum."

If you send your child to Christian Religious Education you should expect Christian Religious Education. This is not a class studying different religions.

If you were sending your child to Bahai (Religious?) Education as a specific choice, I am sure you wouldn't expect them to be taught Christianity.

And when we agreed to send our child to CRE there were all sorts of other religious things on offer.

My argument is don't complain about what you signed up for!

By the way, the reason I couldn't be bothered to read the entire article is I felt she was doing just that, whingeing about what she had asked for...

My own opinion, BTW!

I read this article this morning and became concerned about how Christianity is seen in Oz. I know this is only one person’s view, however, having read the comments on her blog it seems that many people share the same views. In general to each one his own, however, as a Christian wanting to raise my son (to be born next April) in the principles of Christianity I am concerned about the exposure he might face once we immigrate to Brisbane.

I would like to know if anyone (and their children) has experienced challenges, i.e whether in Oz the group pressure/tendency is to move away from Christianity.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/parenting/...:8dec09:15dec09

Group pressure/ tendency is to move away from Christianity ,this is everywhere in the world. The ruler of the world is satan.(John 14:30) Christians are not in the world, We are in the Kingdom of GOD. Thank you Jesus!!!

I have experienced Lots of challenges here in Oz and back in South Africa. Most people that do not follow christ do not understand the love and the relationship you have with him.

My daughter goes to a public school. She is the only Christian in her class, the other children follow other beliefs. She is ten years old and she was water baptized a month ago, she went to school and shared that with the kids( the seed was planted , thank you Jesus) and she gave her heart to the LORD JESUS CHRIST two years ago.

What I am saying is teach your child from the womb about the love of Jesus and the kindness that comes with that. Your child will grow up to overcome anything that comes their way.

I live in Perth and it took me a while to find the church where the LORD wants me to go.

There are loads of churches and some quite small and some huge ones.

When you get to Brisbane, go to a couple of churches and find where the Lord wants you to go.

Don't let anything rock your faith, be strong in the LORD.

You are a good mother already, question everything!!!!!!!!! Find the Truth!!!!! always

:):lol::lol:

From Mel

Perhaps Eva, but I suspect that I also would have missed the christian part and just thought " religious education" as most schools call it that.

I think that many people who are not christians have a broader definition of " Christian faith"

We consider faith groups as diverse as the 1st century CE Jewish Christians, Gnostic Christians, Eastern Orthodox church members. Roman Catholics, United Church members, Mormons, Unificationists, Jehovah's Witnesses and followers of hundreds of other faith groups to be Christian. We recognize that some groups and individuals have a much more restrictive definition of "Christian."

taken from this religious tolerance website-

Religious tolerance

Not just the " smiling white Jesus" picture of christians.

I personally think that schools are to educate children and that parents are responsible for issues of faith etc.

The thing is the majority of Australians don't like having religion shoved down their throats- it is after all a personal choice and as such the author of the article could have removed her child from that class.

2OZweGO- You will have to look carefully at schools and choose one that sits well with your value system-

Your child will be exposed to both believers and non believers whether you are in RSA or Australia.

Oh and Mel

I don't think

The ruler of the world is satan.

I don't believe in Satan

but any good mother does question everything- including religion- and finds their own truth

Perhaps Eva, but I suspect that I also would have missed the christian part and just thought " religious education" as most schools call it that.

I think that many people who are not christians have a broader definition of " Christian faith"

Based on my own experience, as I said, we were offered many different 'religious' choices, Christian Religious Education was one out of a whole selection, so for me personally I don't understand why she didn't understand the subject matter.

I am not commenting on what type of religious study I believe should or shouldn't be taught, merely that she chose Christian Religious Education and then complained that the subject was too much about Christian Religious Education...

You are quite entitled to believe whatever you want to believe, I am commenting on the original article and her complaints.

Yes,agreed

She does state that it was optional- and that implies choice and she also admits to " overlooking" the christian part and having a "lack of attention" so really if she was that upset she should have just removed her child.

Getting back to the original post I would say to 2OZweGO that the article is one persons opinion and just as many will have the opposite, so again it is up to her to ensure that she finds a school that satisfies her needs- I am sure she will find one.

Our experience has been that in education, work and every-day life, religion of any sort is is not in your face, but it is present if you look for it. Honestly, from a non-religious perspective, this is refreshing. It is so nice not to be confronted with something you don't believe in at ever turn you make.

Having said that though - dont be disheartened if you are religious. There are loads and loads of Churches, youth groups and Christian organisations etc. Even the other day, I walked past a Church in the city that was advertising "Afrikaans" services.

Group pressure/ tendency is to move away from Christianity ,this is everywhere in the world. The ruler of the world is satan.(John 14:30) Christians are not in the world, We are in the Kingdom of GOD. Thank you Jesus!!!

Its not group pressure to move away from Christianity, its merely having the ability to think about things in a little more depth that counts. For example. you say we are in the kingdom of god, yet satan is the ruler?? Makes no sense. We are not in the world???? Come on!

By the way, the bible was written by people and not by god, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I have experienced Lots of challenges here in Oz and back in South Africa. Most people that do not follow christ do not understand the love and the relationship you have with him.

Another example: How do you have a relationship with a dead person?

My daughter goes to a public school. She is the only Christian in her class, the other children follow other beliefs. She is ten years old and she was water baptized a month ago, she went to school and shared that with the kids( the seed was planted , thank you Jesus) and she gave her heart to the LORD JESUS CHRIST two years ago.

Another example: How do you give something to a dead person?

I live in Perth and it took me a while to find the church where the LORD wants me to go.

There are loads of churches and some quite small and some huge ones.

When you get to Brisbane, go to a couple of churches and find where the Lord wants you to go.

If the lord wants you to go there, why does he make you do the "finding". Seems ridiculous! Thats like me saying, "I bought lottery tickets for a year before I bought one on the day the lord wanted me to win"

I am pretty sure that this thread is going to soon end up in the cooler..but here goes

QUOTE (TMB @ Dec 10 2009, 09:35 AM)

Another example: How do you have a relationship with a dead person?

Seriously could you be any more intolerant? Just wondering...? The whole premise of the Christian faith is that Jesus died for our sins and rose and conquered death so that we may live for eternity. So we believe he is alive...ie not dead!

Although I suspect you know this and really want to just rile up the Christians on the board or attack somone else's personal faith and belief system...take it elsewhere. :thumbdown:

Although I suspect you know this and really want to just rile up the Christians on the board or attack somone else's personal faith and belief system...take it elsewhere. :thumbdown:

I agree! take it to another forum please.

Archived