Perth vs Brissie

Bok

Hi,

I am currently in Brisbane and am seriously considering to relocate to Perth. Will arrange a trip soon but in the meantime can anyone share any info they have regarding Perth.

Thanks

Bok

Hi,

I am currently in Brisbane and am seriously considering to relocate to Perth. Will arrange a trip soon but in the meantime can anyone share any info they have regarding Perth.

Thanks

Bok

The best part of Perth is the weather. It is a spectacular climate.... not as humid as Brissie, but not as mild as Cape Town.

The worst part of Perth is the shopping/service hours. It is extremely difficult if both of you work full time - you cannot pop into the mall after work because it is closed (except on Thursdays when shops are open till 8pm). If your pool pump needs to be serviced or you need a pool fence installed, forget anyone coming on Saturday to give a quote or install it - you will have to take time off work for this. We have been here a year and I still find it incredibly inconvenient. I don't like shopping on the weekends, because I want to do stuff with my daughter then as I have barely seen her the whole week. Anyhow - this is my only gripe. For the rest, Perth is heaven. :ilikeit:

The property prices are higher in Perth than Brisbane. And Perth is isolated. Yes it is as big as a city, but sometimes it does feel like a small town in the middle of nowhere. Some people like that and some people don't.

I was speaking to another Saffer on the weekend who has lived in Perth and now lives in Brissie. She says the weather is better in Brissie, not as cold and not as hot. Perth seems to have the extremes, whilst Brissie is more consistent.

Sorry, thats all I can help you with!

I was in Perth is July and have never been so cold in my life.....and it carried on for MONTHS so I was told. I really didn't realise it got to cold in Perth. Brisbane on the other hand is now mid Dec.....and it is quite manageable. Give me the climate in Brissie ANYDAY !

I was in Perth is July and have never been so cold in my life.....and it carried on for MONTHS so I was told. I really didn't realise it got to cold in Perth. Brisbane on the other hand is now mid Dec.....and it is quite manageable. Give me the climate in Brissie ANYDAY !

Wait till January - February in Brissie!!! Then its not so manageable ...... I am from Dbn and was told that the weather is the same .. NOT ... its worse! Is there anyone else who can give more info on Perth except for the weather?

We have been in Perth for 18 months and we absolutely love it! We are originally from Cape Town and for us it feels very similar. I am not sure exactly what you want to know about Perth, but I will answer any question you might have, just send me a PM.

Never been in Brissie but absolutely love Perth, some are right by saying the weather has its extremes (cold and warm), but we all have to deal with adverse weather some time over the ever changing seasons, this is part of life!!!

But I still think Perth has some of the best weather compared to South Africa and Melbourne where I stayed for five months.

Perth is great very laid back and I for one like the closed shops and the quietness on Sundays and weekends, if you plan properly you do not have to do shopping on the weekends, it gives you more family time etc.etc.etc.

Anyway Thursdays is the days where all major chains stay open till 9:00pm, so there is no excuse if both partners are working!!

Fishing great, plenty nice beaches, islands, things to do and see!!!!!

Just love it!!!! :ilikeit:

I have visited Brisbane , and I must say apart from the humidity I was not impressed with Brisbane as a city. I found it to be far dirtier than Perth.

I dont think I can handle that humidity for 9 months of the year.

But , not having lived in Brisbane, I cant make any comments on Brisbane really.....as I would be biased for sure .

Perth on the other hand , has the best beaches, a clean city and very well suited to families.

Good schools and infrastructure. Plenty of shopping centres.

Shops in the suburbs open on Thursday night until 9 . Late night shopping in the city on Friday. If shopping is your thing.

Most shops in hte city are open on Sunday from 11am - 5 pm.

Beautiful parks and lots of cycle paths and walking paths.

Very large spread out city. We have double brick and tile homes.

Good luck with your decision

Been in Perth 11 months now and the only thing I dont like is winter, it rains for 4 months and it is VERY cold, I am from Durban and I have only been as cold in the berg! Other than that its lovely and we are very happy here. Houses are expensive but you can get a good cheapish rental if you are prepared to be a little way from the city.

• 2 weeks later...

We lived in Brisbane (North Lakes) for 8 months, and loved every minute. Due to the downturn, we had to move to Perth to keep my job, been here 6 months. My choice is definately Brisbane, Perth is no match to the great weather and general living conditions in SE Qld. And Brisbane is cheaper to live in, with lots of places to see and things to do compared to Perth. Perth has a great public transport system and is a much smaller city (and the houses are made of brick and not timber). But give me the Sunshine coast back any day... That's my opinion. :rolleyes:

winter, it rains for 4 months and it is VERY cold, I am from Durban and I have only been as cold in the berg!

Winter in Perth: The mild Perth winter begins at the start of June and finishes at the end of August. It is generally a rainy season, mingled with cool sunny days. There are however occasional storms, characterised by downpours of rain.

Average Winter Temperatures

June: Daytime 18-21C Overnight Minimum 9-12C

July: Daytime 15-18C Overnight Minimum 6-9C

August: Daytime 18-21C Overnight Minimum 9-12C

The average minimum of 6-12C is hardly cold. I think it must be the ex-Durbanites complaining. For us ex-Joburgers its warmer than Joburg winters.

I live in Brisbane and have visted Perth a few times. These are my impressions

Brisbane is on the East Coast and the East Coast is the ecconomic hub of Australia.

Perth appeared very clean as a city, cleaner than Brisbane.

Perth is more of a Boom/Bust sort of place.

The one reason South Africans like Perth is that it's 5 hour flying time closer to South Africa than Brisbane.

Beaches in Perth are closer to the city than Brisbane. In Brisbane it's the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast, at least an hours drive.

Perth is more isolated than Brisbane.

The Swan river is great, parliculary in the city. The Brisbane river does not compare.

Brisbane is close to New Zealand, a 3 hour flight, and I love New Zealand.

I do get the impression that the weather has greater extremes in Perth.

On balance, and not having lived in Perth, only visited, I think I'd go for Brisbane

The average minimum of 6-12C is hardly cold. I think it must be the ex-Durbanites complaining. For us ex-Joburgers its warmer than Joburg winters.

Yeah mate for me as well. I come from the Mpumalanga highveld and Perth has the best winters I've ever had and I've now been through two of them!

I prefer Brisbane because of the summer rain. I also love the humidity (keeps the skin hidrated and the wrincles away!) and I don't think it's bad at all! Worst case cenario is 3 weeks of extreme heat, not all in one go, but then that's what aircon is for.

Perth is a lovely city too, remember the winter rain....... oh and you have beach sand in your garden! LOL!

Bloemfontein by die see!!

If you like a more relaxed lifestyle and is not into shopping all day then Perth can work for you. There is also a lot of saffers there.

Been in Perth 11 months now and the only thing I dont like is winter, it rains for 4 months and it is VERY cold, I am from Durban and I have only been as cold in the berg! Other than that its lovely and we are very happy here. Houses are expensive but you can get a good cheapish rental if you are prepared to be a little way from the city.

Gosh - I thought it rains way less in Perth than it did in the Cape winters!!!

I spent this past winter cycling every day to and from work - brought a really expensive raincoat from Katmandu in preparation for the winter and only got rained on ONCE during the whole winter of cycling!

I think the termperature in Perth is lower than the Western Cape, to me, it didn't feel as cold because the wind doesn't blow like it does in the Cape. The air is just cold, it doesn't blow through your clothes and feeze your bones! :hug:

Archived