Banks in Australia

Dedrei

I have been so used to ABSA in SA that ANZ is starting to give me a headache. :ilikeit:

Is there any other bank in oz that has realtime updating of they internet banking. Meaning if you go shopping today, it will show on todays statement from the internet. I checked the balance of our account yesterday (after all the xmas shopping) before going out to buy some things. Magicallly my card gets declined at one of the stores, which doens't make sense as I had about 10x the amount in my bank account. Go figure that the banks are bit slow in this, are any of you also experiencing this or is it just some of the ozzie banks. I can understand the time delay in credit cards, but not on a normal savings account. :holy:

Please tell me there is a bank that has real time updating of everyday tranx and not a day or two after transactions took place.

Hi Dedrei,

Ons is by Westpac en ek betaal alles met EFTPos of wat hulle dit ook al noem. Ek het al op die internet state gesien dat die bedrag dadelik afgaan, maar wys miskien eers n dag of so later aan wie jy dit betaal het... andersins se dit net EFTPOS transaction... Maar dit wys wel op.

Hoop jy kom reg!!

Caro

• 1 month later...

Looks like there aren't too many answers for this one...

I was at ABSA on saturday and they mentioned 2 banks that they deal with alot.

Commonwealth Bank and ANZ, but judging by what you said...I'm gonna try and steer away from them.

I would like my banking to be live!

Hi to All

When you use internet banking in Australia, the only entries that you will see on your 'statement' are the entries up to yesterday midnight, anything after that, will only show tomorrow. That is the way the banking system in Aus works, I do not know of a bank that will show today's entries, today. However, I do know that on the Commonwealth internet site, if you go to internet banking, above the start of your entries for yesterday, you will see 'balance available' and this is often different from the last balance on your statement. The difference between 'balance available' and last balance on statement is of course the amount you have spent in the interim.

Know what, for checking purposes, I keep a very small notebook and pencil in my bag, eveytime I use my EFTPOST card, I enter the amount, deduct it, and write down the balance, if I have put money in I just add it. That way I always know what I have, and it is completely up to date.

I have also found it an excellent way to keep tabs on my spending as well as a sure fire way of checking my bank account.

Happy banking folks!

Ok if i could get my scanner to work, i could show you guys what i mean, but see the attached pic of my internet bank statement an hour after i came home from Coles today, where i used the debit card to make a purchase. I wanted to scan the Coles slip so you could see it matches up... but when it eventually works, i will add it on....

Here is my bank statement from the web, with the transaction i did little over an hour ago. Paid at Coles (as per my slip for $94.17) at 12.12 (30/1) and it shows......it does only show "eftpos trans" and the amount,but by tomorrow it will have the details of Coles on there too.

This is with Westpac... so not sure why mine will show if none of the other banks do it?????

Edited by catz

Hey, because you may have the only smart bank in the country? At least now we know, so guys, head over to Westpac, they seem to know what they are doing!

Thanks for that!

Friends of mine and my new employer have recomended Westpac...

Westpac here I come, If they give me good service, they have just got themselves a new customer.