WannaB Ozzie:

WannaB Ozzie

Hallo People,

At first I want to thank each and every host (& member) for this site. I’ve been reading about Oz on a daily basis for the best part of the year now, and this is the most comprehensive site ever! Believe me: I’m an expert. I’ve read through each and every thread. I’ve spent my whole month’s internet-money on this site. Sort of a Christmas present to myself! My husband’s starting to complain about the time I spend in front of my laptop!

You guys are doing a great job, and have convinced me to help others when I’m on "the other side". Hopefully this will be the mindset of most of the SAners in Oz whose been helped by this site.

Now here is my story:

1. My husband and I are 40 years old (little time left for emigration, then.)

2. We have 2 teenage girls (aged 15 & 12) – I’m contemplating Valiums - and a boy (he’s turning 3 in a few days.) – I’m SERIOUSLY contemplating Valiums!

3. Hubby is in the Superannuation-business, as known in Oz, and I’m a teacher (with no recent experience.) I’ve been home-schooling the girls for the past 4 years, but somehow I don’t think that’ll count.

4. I have a very specific New Year’s Resolution: By next Christmas I want us all to be in Australia, permanently. I know there might be some battles to fight, but I’m ready for them. Bring it on!

Welcome WannaB

U R @ the right place but U already know that ...

Thanks for the intro in this post & the other regarding your motivation, it is good forum etiquette & always helps if the other 'forumites' know your circumstances better to answer any of your questions ...

My question to you is, Have you seen an immigration lawyer/agent for an initial consultation or done one of the online questionaires ? they ussually give a fair idea of what the prospets are.

Good luck with achieving your goal.

Bar none

Barnone,

Lets hope that I'm putting my reply at the right place (being a newbie on this site and all). When I registered, I didn't put my Current Location in. Maybe one of the hosts can help? I'm from Garsfontein, PTA, so if you're still in SA, then we're almost neighbours!

To get to your question: no, we haven't seen any-one (yet). I' ve downloaded all the different Visas' application forms, and were thinking on trying a visa on my Qualies. After what I read on this site, I think we'll have to go on my husband's work-experience.

To cut a LONG story short, we'll definately have to see some-one for the initial assesment (at least).

WannaB

If you click on "My Controls" top right corner, you should be able to edit your initial member details! As per your request I have changed your SA Location to Garsfontein, PTA

Mara

Mara

Thanks, you're a star! I need to get off the computer now. Hubby wants us to springclean the house. Start throwing stuff away will only do us good. (That way I might even find our documentation like birth certificates, etc. I'm not good on filing.) :)

When we move, I don't want to take anything with! It's gonna be a rough ride, as we're busy with house-renovations as well. Must finish it before selling, to get a better price.

Hi WannaB

It may be worth seeing an agent, and even paying the R250 (or whatever it is now) for the individual assessment. You don't have to use the agent any further if you feel up to doing it yourself. The agent will tell you whether or not you actually qualify (i.e. have enough points), and advise on the process going forward - specifically whether or not you will need to do a skills assessment before lodging your application, and which visa is the best option for you.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Starfish

As soon as the schools start and the kids are out of my hair, I’ll go see an agent. I think the battle is half won already if one knows which visa to apply for!

Guest Bronwyn

Hi WannaB - I saw various Australian jobs advertised this morning in the Superannuation field - through QPL Recruitment. :lol: Tried to find you a link but there were so many - take a look for yourself.

Regards,

Bronwyn

Hi there and welcome

You are definately at the right forum I am sure you will get tons of useful info and lots of support.

I think you should see an agent but alot of people have done the whole thing on their own but make sure you know your facts. I also think you should check out seek.com.au and send out your hubbys cv. If you can get sponsored on a 457 visa you will at least be coming with a job and you might get some expenses paid. You can then apply for PR or get your sponsor to help with ENS when you are here. I also suggest you get your cv and skills updated as relieve teachers are sort after and you can get plus minus $200 a day at private schools relieve teaching.

You are making the best decision and your kids will thrive. Do you have any idea where you would like to go? Get your unabridged certificates etc done and start saving and chucking and you will be fine.

Best of luck

WannaB

Thought I would just mention this, it might help. In Australia if you want to provide any type of advice regarding superannuation/financial products you need to be PS146 certified.

http://www.fpa.asn.au/FPA_Content.aspx?Doc_id=5005

http://www.seeklearning.com.au/finsia/cert...GLE_PAID_SEARCH

Thanks for all your responses! I’ve done some reading in the past about PS 146, and have looked at Unis/ Colleges for a course that Hubby can do via distant learning. He also sent his CV to an agency last year (even before we knew the correct format) and they told him to try another recruitment agency.

I have so much to do. Have decided to create a Project Timeline Management doc on excel (will do tonight) in order to straighten out my priorities.

Have I mentioned that we’re also busy renovating? After tonight I’ll have a better idea of what to first.

I have set myself a goal to be in Oz by Dec 2007. Whether it’s going to be possible, I don’t know. I decided, however, that it’s good to have a certain date in mind, just to keep oneself going!

With the support from you guys we’ll eventually get there and then I’ll join the “Support Group for Future Immigrants” on that side. :lol: