Orange Almond Cake

Eva

A friend made this cake for another friends birthday ~ it is totally divine, although I must confess I haven't made it yet, just eaten hers then begged her for the recipe. If I remember to buy the almond meal I will make it this week and maybe post a photo.

Enjoy!!

ORANGE ALMOND CAKE

Ingredients

2 large oranges

250g castor sugar

6 large eggs

250g almond meal (ground almonds)

1tsp baking powder

Icing sugar to decorate

Thick cream, to serve

Method

1.Place the washed oranges unpeeled in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 hours, adding more water when necessary to keep the oranges covered. Drain and cool slightly.

2.Preheat oven to 190°C.

3.Butter a 20cm springform pan and sprinkle the base with castor sugar

4.Break the eggs into a blender and the sugar and blend until thick and pale.

5.Quarter the oranges and remove any core and seeds. Place oranges (both flesh and rind) in with the egg mixture and blend to a smooth consistency.

6.Combine almonds and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture with the pureed oranges until well combined.

7.Pour into the buttered pan and bake for 1- 1 ½ hours or until cooked through and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in tin.

8.Dust with icing sugar to decorate and serve with thick cream.

Notes & tips

This cake has no flour or butter, is easy to prepare and cook, will last up to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature, and is suitable for Jewish Passover and people with wheat allergies. But best of all it is absolutely delicious.

Cooking: 3 hours (incl.2 hours boiling of oranges).

Sounds yummy, will definitely give it a try over the weekend!

Archived