What a shock!

Tilla

So we booked this ticket from V Australia at the bargain price of R7999 return for my 76-year old dad to come and visit next year. Great stuff! Then this morning I receive a mail from my sister telling me that the insurance will cost R5000! I know he is not a youngster anymore but sjeeeesh is this really the price people have to pay?

Unfortunately that's the case and you can't risk without it. My parents recently flew to my brother in Canada and the insurance was also almost the same as the plane ticket. Once you get beyond the 75 bracket, they nail you! Play around with quotes but you’re not going to save a lot.

So we booked this ticket from V Australia at the bargain price of R7999 return for my 76-year old dad to come and visit next year. Great stuff! Then this morning I receive a mail from my sister telling me that the insurance will cost R5000! I know he is not a youngster anymore but sjeeeesh is this really the price people have to pay?

If you bought the ticket using a Mastercard you could have got it for R1,060. See Standard Bank Mastercard insurance. Had the same issue when my 76 year old dad came to visit and it is the best deal from our research.

Maybe VAustralia will allow you to credit the fare and repay with a Mastercard. If you don't have one, get a friend to buy it.

I think my sister did pay with MasterCard - will check immediately, thanks for that!

alanb: Is automatic cover applicable for booking with Mastercard or Visacard from any bank?

Is the cover the duration of the trip, from departure date to return date? or do we need to take premium?

Jennifer

My mum-in-law is with us at the moment and she had the same experience. She is 76 and Danie is 81. They both got insurance from ABSA for R1800 each. It definitely pays to shop around.

Archived