One Year In Canberra

Lyn

Never thought this post would take place so soon. The time has flown.

Dont want to ramble on either, so will try to keep it brief and hopefully offer a little advice to those on their way. We waited out our 175 and were blessed to get hubby a job whilst still in SA. Otherwise we have experienced much the same as other forumites.

Arriving in November from the Hillcrest area of KZN - Canberra was hot, dry and brown - with little mole hills in the distance - the Brindabellas which the locals refer to as mountains. Somehow the browness shocked my senses. I hated it. The bluegums were just that - blue ! The undergrowth - non existant. Being a tree hugger and indigenous gardener - I found this landscape aweful. The kids school looked like a hooligans playground. The houses ugly. The city boring - all we seemed to have was Parliament house with its huge flag, the war memorial and LBG - Lake Burley. I missed Hillcrest (and always will) But I have lived here, given the "city" a chance - and Canberra has shown me just how pretty she can get at certain times of the year. We survived our first winter, it was darn chilly with the winds blowing off the Snowies and waking to frost every morning. Perisher and Thredo were covered in snow - and a visit there was an exciting and freezing experience. We also took in Sydney on a couple of occasions, only about 2,5hrs - a truely beautiful city with lots of SA plants - was like a child in a candy store - but Sydney way too busy after sleepy Canberra !

Then Spring arrived again, we visited Floriade - the annual bulb show - spectacular - and we went back to daylight saving and now have the sun for a little longer. Come December / January it stays light till about 9pm. Everyone carries on like its midday - except the banks ! So we now plan our next trip to Batemans Bay - a beautiful coastline and 1,5hrs away - sorry SA - but this coast is amazing - with its little islands/rocky outcrops and wait for it - beautiful bluegum forests that smell amazing !!

I missed SA in those early days, spent a lot of time crying and wondering how I was going to settle into a country where we had no one, did not understand what was being said - financial issues - just felt so out of my depth. Everything was so overwhelming. The trollys, the round abouts, the culture, the weather, the fauna and flora, house buying you name it - its different ! Be preapred for this.

But our plan was to give it at least 3 years before heading back. Couldnt let Australia win this round. Decided to adopt the Nike motto : Just do it. Found something I was passionate about, ice dancing - joined the ladies group and started making friends with like minded ladies. These Tuesday morning groups were my lifesaver and my coach - an immigrant herself from Chec, a sweetheart. But I found I was spending too much time alone and that was when my mind was wondering about life back in SA. Decided one day to ask the rink manager if there were any vacancies, well the rest is history. Working at the rink has kept me sane - yes its a job I wouldnt have done in SA - cashier. I clean, I cook, whatever is required of me. I strongly urge people - especially ladies whose husbands work and find themselves alone - to find something worthwhile to do - even if its just voluntary work. It will keep you sane. Give Salvos a call - my favourite store in Canberra.

We still have a long way to go - but can finally start calling Canberra home. In July we got our darling little kittens, Coco and Bella. Hubby is doing well in his job, has his unrestricted aircon licence and is busy with his electrical one. He has made some super mates in his industry (engineering) and for the past year has been a member of the Canberra Yacht club - he has been to a couple of places due to their racing. Hubby is very happy with our decision to move and has said that at this stage there is no reason to go back to SA. The kids are slowing settling - school life is very different for them - and I suggest that you keep an eye and ear open - kids here have a lot more freedom and our kids not used to this. Tomorrow we move into our own little cottage. We are truely blessed.

Life in Australia will be what you make it - embrace the country - be a part of it - lower your expectations of work - join in the Australian way of thinking - toilet humour and all. Sooner than you think you may sound just like one of them. Wish Id done this move earlier - but obviously my Makers plan was written 25 November 2008. It has been a long, hard road, crime having left its ugly traumatic presence. The Australians are a wonderful nation, yip some are weirdos, hoons, P platers, and soon things will start to bug you - thats when you know you're one of them now ! Aussies complain about anything ! Keep positive, and always remember why you decided to do this.

All the best to you all, still in the should we / shouldnt we stage, those waiting for the visas, those packing up, and those new arrivals. And to those here already, lifes good isnt it ??

And to those here already, lifes good isnt it ??

:ilikeit::ilikeit: It sure is!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Thanks for sharing this honest post with us!

And congrats on your anniversary and all the best with your move into your own place!

Lyn

Enjoyed your post about Canberra. I would not want to live anywhere else. Can your hubby fix aircons? It is really difficult to find someone to repair aircons. Which suburb in Canberra are you moving to.

Congrats, Lyn, thanks for sharing, isn't it amazing how we all go through the same emotions.

Wishing you a fabulous next year. I agree 100% with working, I also sat home for the first week, was supposed to stay home for about 5 months, but I couldn't, found myself getting depressed, so the first job I got was cleaning hotel rooms, I enjoyed it and the money was great too.

Cheers, Jill

Congrats on your first year Lyn, I am so happy for you. It really sounds like you have settled in nicely, you are a beacon of hope to me!

This is wonderful - Thanks for sharing, makes the rest of us feel totally normal.

Have been in Tassie for 5 months going on 6 - will post when i get to the year mark - but loving it at present,

Feel totally blessed.

Brenda

Congratulations and thank you for sharing what you have written is so true... May your next year be even better!! :thumbdown::ilikeit:

You are such a great bunch - thank you.

Johan, we are staying southside - moving to Kambah today. With hubbys licence he can work on anything but at this stage mostly just fixes / gases his mates aircons at mates rates - ie free !!

Just let us settle into the house and then we'll see if DH has a mo.

That was such a great post Lyn :lol::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Thanks for lifting my spirits about Australia. Sometimes find myself wondering how would i survive an unfamiliar place when the time arrives :unsure:

Hi Lynn,

Well I am so glad to read your positive change of heart, good to hear you have put your foot down and showed them who is in control.

I have to to do our 1 year write up as well, but my emotional status at this point in time is not so good, maybe it would actually be good.

Thanx for sharing Canberra with us.

Rene

Archived