Worth seeing Melbourne?

JennyG

Hey all you Melbourners!

Our LSD trip is around the corner (Feb '10) and I still have loads to plan. We will be arriving at Sydney and spend most of our 2,5 weeks between Sydney and Canberra (where we will eventually settle down). We are thinking of visiting Melbourne as well, but are aware that it is quite a few kilometers to travel from Canberra to Melbourne. It is worth it? I mean, do you think we should work Melbourne into our plans?

Nah. Melbourne’s a small, one-horse dump of a town. :)

It really depends on what you would like to get out of your LSD, if it were me, I would try to see as much as possible – chances are it’s the only LSD you’ll do.

Melbourne is vastly different from Sydney and Canberra, so you wouldn’t feel like you’re just seeing “the same old†by visiting.

Melbourne’s huge in terms of area, so there’s plenty to see. Depends on what your tastes are – not everybody likes it (I’m still not sure after 3 years) but if you’re into arts, culture, sports and food, there is a ridiculous amount on offer.

Hi!

Nah. Melbourne’s a small, one-horse dump of a town. :lol:

It really depends on what you would like to get out of your LSD, if it were me, I would try to see as much as possible – chances are it’s the only LSD you’ll do.

Melbourne is vastly different from Sydney and Canberra, so you wouldn’t feel like you’re just seeing “the same old†by visiting.

Melbourne’s huge in terms of area, so there’s plenty to see. Depends on what your tastes are – not everybody likes it (I’m still not sure after 3 years) but if you’re into arts, culture, sports and food, there is a ridiculous amount on offer.

I agree with HansaPlease! If you can see Melbourne, you should definitely add it to you LSD - it is a must see!

Not sure how much my opinion is worth (seeing we have only been here 3 weeks!), but I find the area East and South East of Melbourne beautiful. And we haven't even been down to the coast, which I hear is stunning. We also apparently live in gourmet food country (Baw Baw Shire in Gippsland) - still need to put that to the test sometime.

All in all - if you like the Western Cape, you will like Melbourne - reminds me so much of that area, from the West Coast side up to about Hermanus.

Thanks guys! Than Melbourne it will be!! I do agree, see as much as possible during LSD. And who knows, maybe I'll run into some of you :lol: I'll listen out for the accent!

but I find the area East and South East of Melbourne beautiful.

Agreed. Sorry to say, but it's a bit of a disapointment landing in the West, thinking you've hit a desert town. It gets better the more East you go.

(ducks) :lol:

hmmm and that is why my Estate agent friend sells about 5 new developments to people of the East now moving to the West!

:ilikeit:

hmmm and that is why my Estate agent friend sells about 5 new developments to people of the East now moving to the West!

Yep, that makes sense - Land/Property is more affordable in the West. A lot of people who rent in the East end up buying in the West.

Also people who sell up in the East end up buying/building in the West because you get far more house for your money.

Plenty of development in the West, but it will take many years before you get the settled suburbs with mature trees that the East has now.

hehe and I was expecting a witty response :ilikeit:

Very true Hansa it sure is gonna take quite a while for the West to develop on the green front.

hehe and I was expecting a witty response :ilikeit:

Very true Hansa it sure is gonna take quite a while for the West to develop on the green front.

I was going to say "That's because they're cheapskates" but then realised that I probbaly live in the ugliest suburb in the East because there are hardly any mature trees. Just concrete and builders mess, so I'd be calling the potjie a kettle. :ilikeit:

Oh, sorry, back on topic. Should you come to Melbourne? Yeah, sure, just don't step in any wet concrete. :ilikeit:

:ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne is Australia's second city. ~3.8 million people live in Melbourne, just over 4 million people live in Sydney. You sort of have to know Melbourneto know Australia.

Melbourne is often consdered to be "more refined" than Sydney and to have a more cutural base.

Personally I prefer Sydney to Melbourne, but both have their charm.

If you are coming for a LSD it would make sence to visit Melbourne. I would fly though, rather than drive. It's about an hour's flying time.

Melbourne is Australia's second city. ~3.8 million people live in Melbourne, just over 4 million people live in Sydney. You sort of have to know Melbourneto know Australia.

Melbourne is often consdered to be "more refined" than Sydney and to have a more cutural base.

Personally I prefer Sydney to Melbourne, but both have their charm.

If you are coming for a LSD it would make sence to visit Melbourne. I would fly though, rather than drive. It's about an hour's flying time.

Thanks for the info and advise! Much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

I see you have landed in Jan 10, but you only planning LSD in Feb 10.

If not there yet, my LSD included Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth. I grew up in Pretoria and live in Cape Town. People said Perth is a lot like Cape Town, so I had my mind set on Perth. I am so happy that I went to see Brisbane as well, because I fell in love with this place. Melbourne was too overwhelming for me, but I am glad I went, to realise that is not for me. Perth is really isolated from the world, and I experienced it, so realised this place is livable, but not while I have a choice. I did not even bother to go to Sydney, because it is too expensive and busy.

We did our LSD through Melbourne and Sydney.

For me, I found Sydney more like Johannesburg-by-the-sea. The CBD felt quite a bit like JHB, but also a lot like London with all the underground rail points. And I hate the Tube in London... 2 years of that is enough to make someone mental.

Melbourne I found far more open. I never once felt hemmed in in the CBD. After all, the Melbourne CBD was pretty much designed. The only rail line I know of in Melbourne that is underground, is that part which follows the outer "ring road" of the CBD. Everything else is above ground.

People are correct in that the different areas are... well... different. In the East to North east, you'll find more hilly areas, but in the SE, it's flat.

Go to Melbourne, go to Flinder's Street station, then hit the Melbourne Tourist Centre right across the street. Catch a tram or two... watch the "legendary" hook-turn and you just have to go to the Queen Vic market to see how flippin' clean it is!! And when walking through Melbourne... try avoid the streets. Huh? Yes... find the arcades. There are some stunning ones with quaint little shops and restaurants hidden away. I think we crossed half the city from north to south through arcades.

Have fun... and I know you'll change your mind to come to Melbourne. :P

We love the idea of Canberra, but for now, it's Melbourne for us.

-G

Archived