Abri: Anybody in Melbourne?

Abrie

Hi everybody

I am a Bloemfonteiner who have arrived in Melbourne on 15 Dec after two months in Sydney. I am in my later 40's, came to Oz alone on a permanent resident visa and was fortunate to find a very nice place to stay for the time being - sharing a large flat in a beautiful old building with 2 very friendly Aussies. It's cheap and conveniently situated very close to the city center. Both are leaving for the holidays today for the next 2 weeks and in the meantime I do not have much hope of making significant progress in terms of finding a job - pretty much everything seems to close down this time of the year.

Was hoping to meet with some people that can introduce me and/or give me any advice on negotiating my way in Melbourne. I am mobile and I enjoy taking tram trips to see the city. "See Melbourne by Tram" by de Lacy Lowe is a handy source of information, takes the guesswork out of sightseeing and saves time.

I am also having difficulty getting connected to the Internet, which is why I spend a lot of time every day in public places where hot spots are available. I can be reached at 0422754241.

Would like to hear from Melbournites (?) who can maybe spare the time for a coffee and a chat...

Kind regards

Abrie

Edited by Hendie

Hi Abrie

Welcome and all the best mate. Hope you get settled in quickly. :unsure:

Not sure how many forumites are actually in Melbourne. Hopelik is almal nie op verlof nie...

Larry is 'n oud Melbourniet en 'n bron van inligting, maar sal eers mid Januarie terug wees van vakansie af.

All the best mate and if you feel for a chat, please feel free to mail me and I will give you a call.

Take care :D

Welcome to our forum.

If you need any info, Mara is our Melbourne hostess and would be happy to assist you. Just drop her a PM.

Cheers

D

Hi Dedrei

I telephoned Abrie the same day he posted his message, had him over for lunch the next day with Pippa's aunt and her two kids who were also visiting Melbourne. Found out he had nothing to do for Christmas so we invited him back for Christmas lunch with the other 16 of us. A grand time was had by all and we hope he enjoyed himself!

Mara

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dedrei

I telephoned Abrie the same day he posted his message, had him over for lunch the next day with Pippa's aunt and her two kids who were also visiting Melbourne. Found out he had nothing to do for Christmas so we invited him back for Christmas lunch with the other 16 of us. A grand time was had by all and we hope he enjoyed himself!

Mara

Hi there Mara

I just read this post and what a great and warming welcome you gave Abrie over in Melbourne...

you're an asset to this forum and South Africans in Aussie, particularly in Melbourne and I salute you...

We are moving over at the end of this year and I really look forward to meeting you and sharing your valuable experiences re Melbourne and the Aussie way of life

all the best and enjoy the beautiful city of Melbourne

cheers

Gavin

Edited by Gee

Hi Gee

Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. We enjoy meeting new SA's and sharing our experiences, after all, we have a lot to be thankful for and even more to give thanks for!

We look forward to meeting you when you arrive, and if there is anything we can do in the meantime, please do not hesitate to ask!

Regards

Mara

Hi Mara

I echo Gavin's very well put sentiments.

We're also looking forward to meeting you on our LSD trip later in the year.

Regards

Scott